MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator
tbecker
It sounds like in the waveshaper mode you get CV control that multiplies the ext signal. In the MKII this was done with the CV jack in the gain section. Does the CV jack in each OSC section offer a similiar CV control? I really liked the CV gain in the MKII because you can use it like a dirty/crunchy VCA and makes for great self-patching! Here is hoping that each waveshaper can have its own waveform and own ext / CV control inputs...
Zifor
Well , This is amazing hyper
governor blacksnake
Some notes on the Piston mkIII:

- Each of the two oscillators can be switched into the waveshaper mode known from the MKII. The AC FM ext in on each osc (and its nearby attenuator) will process the external audio signal. The oscillator's Big Knob will then control the gain (the main CV attenuverter will provide CV to that parameter). The final version of the module will most likely have the output of each oscillator normalled to the FM input of the other. The FM and CV attenuverters are able to be controlled by the preset manager.

- If you prefer that your coarse tune uses a little knob and the fine tune uses the big knob, there's a global setting to switch that. (I'm a recent convert. It's called Mike Brown Mode.)

- The unison detune is available per-oscillator, for a total of four stacked oscillators when the "link" mode is active. It runs an additional copy of its oscillator with a small amount of detune. When in the external waveshaping mode, the unison slave will instead use a wavetable slightly morphed from the original.

- Each oscillator can have a different programmed waveform by using its "select" button and moving the sliders. The display will decrease the confusion that the user often feels when multifunctional controls are used. The state of the select button also determines if each oscillator responds to the waveform CV inputs.

- Every feature from the Piston mk2 is present and improved with the exception of LFO mode. We had to AC couple the outputs to improve the audio performance. Overall, you'll notice a drastic shift towards the most performable interface possible, where the concept of each module is more focused with no distraction (typically each mk3 module will do a particular task very well, instead of trying to offer a half-dozen different kinds of things with a compromised user interface as a result). There will be a nice LFO happening later.

- The main focus of the MkIII series is repeatable performance setup, where one may quickly move between different sets of stored sounds and settings. Each module with this feature has a standardized interface of a rotary encoder, display, button, CV input, and small potentiometer.

The preset manager operates in several modes: discrete (encoder clicks through each of the 8 active presets in a bank, CV input and potentiometer do the same), continuous (encoder selects the preset base number, the pot and cv input will smoothly morph the non-pitch controls across the entire preset bank and wrap around to the base) and All (all settings are morphed, discrete settings like morph discontinuity and unison enable will change as each preset boundary is passed).

It makes more sense when you have a few of these mk3 modules together, acting from a common CV control in a multi-piece performance context (even a simple multiple module can bring these things together). Or you can just hit it with a slow LFO and enjoy the sounds transforming into entirely different ones, where you only need to touch one control to accomplish it instead of a dozen. Presets are stored on an onboard EEPROM.

- There will not be a Tyme Sefari MkIII or Stillson Hammer MkIII any time soon, there's lots of life left in that hardware.

- Support will continue with the already-promised firmware upgrades to several of the mkII modules.

- Yes, this oscillator accepts waveEdit files.

- There will be a few more mk3s finished shortly. Performance-ready versions of old favorites with some intense new functionality, and then a few processors that go where modules fear to tread. If it gets uncomfortable, just keep mashing that continuous preset control. You'll probably find a sweet spot somewhere in there.
Sinamsis
That's great news! I can't wait to see what's to come. It looks like my 168 hp Harvestman row won't be enough. I'm going to have to built a new case for these! There are a couple modules that I'm anxiously awaiting. Mainly the BL II, Andore, and the performance mixer or whatever it is. Now PH MK III is on the list. I was going to pick up a second Kermit, but I guess I'll have to wait for the new LFO. Is there a replacement for the Malgorithm? Next to my Polivoks VCF (which was one of my first modules), it's one of my oldest modules and used in almost every patch.
hawkfuzz
All good news! Looking forward to the rest of the line and whatever else may come between.
phase ghost
talfred wrote:

How do you do that?

Pickit programmer, and a little IC socket / header circuit I slapped together. Someone wrote a Python script ages ago and put it in the Harvestman subforum. The files need to be unsigned 8-bit wav files. Audacity can format them. Some wave editors struggle with making that format.

Like I said, not for the faint of heart. But, not terribly hard after you've done a few.
sackley
Much respect to Gov & IME. Preset surfing would be super cool. I love my little Harvestman/IME case. Even though I don't feel the need to add anything to it, I enjoying seeing the product line and concepts develop.
Funky40
the +- CV is a cool thing !
but that it is +-10V is IMO a much questionable decission.

while we had in the past some confusion on CVs,
some beeing 10V, some 8V, some 5V, have i seen in the last years many many of the newer CV modules beeing 5V only. ( unipolar or bipolar)

if i had to gain up every CV to control a PH-III, .......well its those small things that kill the fun with modular for me.
gladly i allready know it. so i turn off of such modules........regardless how good they migjht sound or how much i want to have it.
patchfun first
governor blacksnake
Funky40 wrote:

some beeing 10V, some 8V, some 5V, have i seen in the last years many many of the newer CV modules beeing 5V only. ( unipolar or bipolar)

if i had to gain up every CV to control a PH-III, .......well its those small things that kill the fun with modular for me.
gladly i allready know it. so i turn off of such modules........regardless how good they migjht sound or how much i want to have it.
patchfun first

Don't worry, that +/-10V range is just the voltage range to which the module will respond (the converters have a sufficient resolution to justify that range), not the range you need to reach to fully sweep the parameter. There's an attenuverter on each input to take it down to your desired range. On certain parameters like the waveform inputs or the preset CV (in continuous mode), there's a wraparound behavior when it pushes the total cv value out of what would be the normal range (typically the usual 0-5v range will give you the expected full-range results with the attenuverter all the way open). The idea is to use subtle bipolar LFO modulations on those parameters and have there be a meaningful range of motion with no intervention from external attenuate/offset modules. The 10V headroom makes it so the envelopes don't clip, either.
Funky40
governor blacksnake wrote:
(typically the usual 0-5v range will give you the expected full-range results with the attenuverter all the way open).

ahh, i see.

you probably want to repost this over and over again.
it´s not obvious without further comments
wink

Thanks
thebrotherspus
Funky40 wrote:

patchfun first

Don't worry, that +/-10V range is just the voltage range to which the module will respond (the converters have a sufficient resolution to justify that range), not the range you need to reach to fully sweep the parameter. There's an attenuverter on each input to take it down to your desired range. On certain parameters like the waveform inputs or the preset CV (in continuous mode), there's a wraparound behavior when it pushes the total cv value out of what would be the normal range (typically the usual 0-5v range will give you the expected full-range results with the attenuverter all the way open). The idea is to use subtle bipolar LFO modulations on those parameters and have there be a meaningful range of motion with no intervention from external attenuate/offset modules. The 10V headroom makes it so the envelopes don't clip, either.

That's nice to hear. I was also concerned about the +/-10v. I'm not even sure if I have any cv sources with that wide of a range, haha. Anyway, glad to hear it won't take the full 10v to cv the parameters full range.
The mk3 looks like it will be excellent... looking forward to some demos thumbs up
wavefold
MY ASS IS BLEEDING damn that's pretty sexy
Carrousel
thebrotherspus wrote:

That's nice to hear. I was also concerned about the +/-10v. I'm not even sure if I have any cv sources with that wide of a range, haha

You definitely don't. Max voltage swing in Eurorack is 12V innit.

EDIT: or is that -12 to +12?? So 24v max? Just realised math ch2 can go from -10 to +10!
tbecker
Raven_Martin wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:

That's nice to hear. I was also concerned about the +/-10v. I'm not even sure if I have any cv sources with that wide of a range, haha

You definitely don't. Max voltage swing in Eurorack is 12V innit.

EDIT: or is that -12 to +12?? So 24v max? Just realised math ch2 can go from -10 to +10!

Don't forget that many gate seq/modules put out +10V (very large list actually) with many offering adjustable pulse width and other cool features that might make for nice PHMKIII modulation...
governor blacksnake
An update:

The unit has been in the hands of an attentive and capable tester and we're closing in on the firmware's completion. The hardware has been declared finished and I'm waiting for its components to arrive at our manufacturer. A full overview video will be produced when I receive the faceplates.

Features added recently:

- Random preset generator. It has an awareness and appreciation for each parameter's contribution to the preset's character, and uses probabilities and ranges appropriate to each parameter. It can be manually activated or pulsed by a gate event (it works even if the preset manager isn't switched on).

- The preset manager can now be advanced by a gate event as well. To edit a single parameter of the active preset's stored value in memory, simply hold the encoder button down while moving the control while the preset manager is active.

- The preset manager has two modes when switched on: discrete and continuous. Discrete splits the CV input and control knob into quantized zones, so you can get all 8 active presets in a 5V range. Voltages outside of this range will "wrap around". You can also select the "base" preset by clicking the rotary encoder. This has more use in "continuous" mode, where the CV input smoothly morphs the panel state to adjacent presets. Imagine subtly and slowly morphing the entire state of the panel with an LFO, as if it were any other parameter. Or, slam across the entire preset memory with a 10V envelope if you like (yes, you can exclude the frequency controls from responding to preset modulation.)

- You can choose whether it's the big or the small knob that controls coarse or fine tune.

- The three (XYZ) wave CV inputs respond to control voltages in a circular way. If a control voltage causes the setting to go above or below the extremes of the slider travel (yes, negative control voltages are equally valid), it will "wrap around", with the expected smooth behavior if morphing is on. This module responds really well to slow, subtle LFO modulation but the inputs have more than enough headroom to accept envelopes and various troublesome control voltages.

- There are a few shortcuts in the interface, most notably the holding of the encoder button while pushing the osc select. That would cause that oscillator's unison detune value to increment (unison values now also include +/-1 octave shifts). The display accurately reflects the state of these parameters in a pleasant way, and I've completely changed my approach in button illumination and display feedback to aid the numerous colorblind enthusiasts of Industrial Music Electronics.

- I've uploaded a few examples of fun sounds to the instagram and soundcloud accounts (username is industrialmusicelectronics)

The module will be completed at the end of March 2018.
gonkulator
An update:

- You can choose whether it's the big or the small knob that controls coarse or fine tune.

The module will be completed at the end of March 2018.

And all the rest too!

The Harvestman w00t
thebrotherspus
Sounds great!
Nice to hear about considering the color blind users (I'm one hihi )

I was just curious what kind of feedback the screen gives... like changing modes etc. Does it give you a bit of info to let you know what exactly is going on?
Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to the mk3 w00t
ludu357
w00t!!
governor blacksnake
thebrotherspus wrote:
Sounds great!

I was just curious what kind of feedback the screen gives... like changing modes etc. Does it give you a bit of info to let you know what exactly is going on?
Thanks!

The dedicated buttons will light red if they are activated. The specifics of their mode are shown on the display (most only have an on/off setting).

The default display shows the waveform of the selected oscillator, its frequency, and the nominal wave selected on the XYZ axes (and small dots that show if the morphing has been disabled on that axis). If you've selected the external input or turned the unison on, this will also be shown. If you select both oscillators for simultaneous editing with the sliders, both waveforms will be shown as well as a selection of the more important parameters from each. (when you change the oscillator selection, it "locks" all three slider axes so you can offset the waveform selection of one of the oscillators along each axis if necessary.) If the preset manager is turned on, it will say "PRESET n" at the top, or "MORPH n" depending on the mode.
orbita
Just ordered a PHmk2 as it was discounted. I guess now I know why smile
thebrotherspus
thebrotherspus wrote:
Sounds great!

Thanks!

The dedicated buttons will light red if they are activated. The specifics of their mode are shown on the display (most only have an on/off setting).

The default display shows the waveform of the selected oscillator, its frequency, and the nominal wave selected on the XYZ axes (and small dots that show if the morphing has been disabled on that axis). If you've selected the external input or turned the unison on, this will also be shown. If you select both oscillators for simultaneous editing with the sliders, both waveforms will be shown as well as a selection of the more important parameters from each. (when you change the oscillator selection, it "locks" all three slider axes so you can offset the waveform selection of one of the oscillators along each axis if necessary.) If the preset manager is turned on, it will say "PRESET n" at the top, or "MORPH n" depending on the mode.

Very nice. I'm definitely interested in this. There's just something about the piston honda I've always loved. This seems like it'll be a great improvement of an already great module. thumbs up
dooj88
this sounds like an absolute blast. present manager will be amazing to mess with..

the holding of the encoder button while pushing the osc select. That would cause that oscillator's unison detune value to increment (unison values now also include +/-1 octave shifts).

also, the implications of this almost throwaway line?!?

woah Dead Banana
autopoiesis
curious if the stepped detune adjustment will increment in semitones so we can easily find fifths etc as well.

really eager to try one out... first module that seems worthy of possibly replacing my shapeshifter, at least on sound duties Dead Banana
hawkfuzz
Yay for colorblind accessibility
Tonefloat01
I really like the diverse sounds that I can get out of my MkII and can’t wait to get the new MkIII design and will put it side by side with its predecessor in my rack. When will these ship?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 2 of 21