MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 [all]
Author Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator
synonymist
mt3 wrote:
Try wavefolding drums by patching drums into Piston Honda mk III via the EXT IN (while in EXTERNAL mode).
The following involve adjusting wavefolding depth (the volume knob) as well as modulating X, Y, and Z axes to provide a taste of the variety one can obtain:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz5Uu1VB7vT

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz1Dyq6BMlb

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzy_-Wbhn3X

Nice! Each had a good flavor, but the last one was my favorite.
novim
Circling back round to the idea of picking up a PH Mk3. I sold my Mk2 a few months ago and pretty quickly started to miss a few things, like the way some slider positions could get it to glitch between two waveforms, without any modulation added. Is this something the Mk3 is capable of? Or is it more 'stable' that way?

And I've read the brief comparisons above, but can the Mk3 get close to the unstable noisiness of the Mk2 (using stock or custom wavetables) or are they just qualitatively different, being 16-bit and 8-bit, respectively?
Misk
The Mk3 can definitely get unstable with a small amount of cross-mod between the two oscillators. It's capable of getting deep into digital noise territory too.
autopoiesis
the glitching between two waveforms i haven't seen on my mk3, you probably need the variable waveform discontinuity control to make that happen. but i prefer unstable and think the mk3 is the best dual oscillator I've used, just ahead of the shapeshifter and dpo
Sinamsis
Honestly even in the mk II I think there was a firmware update to avoid the glitching between two values IIRC. Some people like it but for me it was more of a nuisance.
novim
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've gone and done it Dead Banana
bemushroomed
Considering this one.. But one important thing (for me) does it save its state after powering off/on?

I find it extremely annoying when modules doesn't do that, total deal breaker.
autopoiesis
no, the idea along those lines is you save to preset #1 (or whichever you choose to be the default on power up). I also hate digital modules that require saving states before power down and hope that IME will change this one day

but this module is absolutely worth it
bemushroomed
Ok at least you can save as a preset.. i dont know, not optimal but better than nothing.
autopoiesis
automatic saving is definitely my #1 request for future firmware. second would be amplitude control over the fm input (ie FM index) via the CV jack (as it behaves in external input mode), selectable via the global menu.

i saw your original post before editing and agree that having multiple digital modules in a system that don't auto-save is a bit of a nightmare. I have to remember to save the piston honda, the ornament and crime, and the zadar before shutting down, and even so I am still considering a second zadar. and not to mention my goddamn sequencer (pyramid) which doesn't auto-save anything, but is too good to sell along for this reason. some things are worth a little trouble

one thing to keep in mind is that these kinds of modules allow you to achieve patches that would require many more modules and dense patches otherwise, with switching and macro control modules in the mix required to reconfigure without tearing it all down. the 2 seconds spent saving settings per module each time you shut down is a wash in comparison to the time involved to get to these results the old school way, and arguably also worth it in terms of the cost and HP saved. but if it's possible to implement auto-saving in firmware, it REALLY ought to be there.

yes this is all more time consuming than shutting down a DAW but the same could be said for many patching scenarios. we are in this for the unique timbres and the unique modulation sources, not so much for maximally efficient workflows, right?
bemushroomed
yeah i went on rambling too much hihi since you can save it's not THAT big of a deal, i've had plenty (and have at least one) that can't even save.

is the table size the same as on e352 (which i've owned).. sometimes i did wish it was a bit larger.. if its the same, is there any wavetable osc with a bigger table size than these two?
SavageMessiah
Has anybody had any pitch tracking issues with PH3? Mine always seems to be sharp at 0v. According to the internal tuner it seems to be pretty dead on for anything above 0v though. It's weird.
jwise
SavageMessiah wrote:
Has anybody had any pitch tracking issues with PH3? Mine always seems to be sharp at 0v. According to the internal tuner it seems to be pretty dead on for anything above 0v though. It's weird.

You might want to consider going through the calibration process.
SavageMessiah
Hmm, the main reason I haven't is that the calibration procedures basically involves centering the tuner on C with 1 and 7 volt sources. I checked at those voltages and it was dead on.

Or maybe I did that on Hertz Donut confused. I'll check again, I guess.
yeatsvisitslincoln
I've noticed that I can get a little jump once I plug in a cable from my sequencer. It's not big and doesn't really matter because it still tracks exactly as it should with the sequencer.

I'm assuming that the direct connection is lessening the impedance between ground on the sequencer and ground on the PHiii. They're in two different cases... so probably to be expected.
PietroC
Anybody else Received the PHMK3 with a extra Orange Knob
for OSC A FM In

Nightly Closures
Lucky you.
mt3
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
I've noticed that I can get a little jump once I plug in a cable from my sequencer. It's not big and doesn't really matter because it still tracks exactly as it should with the sequencer.

I'm assuming that the direct connection is lessening the impedance between ground on the sequencer and ground on the PHiii. They're in two different cases... so probably to be expected.

What PSU are you using?
Are the modules running off the same PSU?
PietroC
Its Confirmed By IME that PHMK3 ships with a extra
orange knob for the FM / EXT on Oscillator A Now
joey

PHMKIII kick here
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 [all]
Page 21 of 21