MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new kilpatrick audio : torque and redox !?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author new kilpatrick audio : torque and redox !?
meska
spot on instagrame :

effect box compressor for torque i thinck
MechaSeb
Looks interesting !
Can't wait to read more about the functions/specs.
BTS
Interesting outboard effects, a Multi-band Compressor and Stereo Reverb.
hamildad
Not sure how different it will be from the OTO BAM & BOUM, in price and functionality.

but the kilpatrick stuff is always on point from an engineering and sound perspective... will be keen to see what tricks are up its sleeve.
rohelineoun
Interesting, the two effects I care most about for live use. I'm worried about the price though. If they end up being $600 a pop, that's easy, there is no way I can afford them. What worries me is they're $400 or so because then even though I still can't really, the thought will linger...
Nutritional Zero
Andrew has clearly done his homework here. There is a big (well, relatively big) market for modern tabletop FX marketed at the eurorack community. We shouldn’t have to use guitar pedals, or at least those of us who don’t want to use them should have more options.

Look at the prices for compressors, the only thing halfway cheap is the Really Nice Compressor. Studio rackmount compressors are the price of a car. Some of them are enormous and mono and you need to buy them in a properly balanced pair if you want to use them on a stereo buss. Blah!

Well done Kilpatrick!
Nutritional Zero
I should add: I’ll be taking both.

Anyone want to buy a milk crate full of guitar pedals? Lightly used.
dumbledog
rohelineoun wrote:
Interesting, the two effects I care most about for live use. I'm worried about the price though. If they end up being $600 a pop, that's easy, there is no way I can afford them. What worries me is they're $400 or so because then even though I still can't really, the thought will linger...

$499 apparently.

Neat, but I have a Big Sky already so... hm.
rauch
no idea how good the "lush puppy" algo is, but i'm curious about those "Classic recreations of traditional digital algorithms from the 1970s and 1980s"

http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=redox
Paranormal Patroler
Damn, not small enough.
Paranormal Patroler
http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=torque
dogoftears
im a little confused here, why would someone want a digital multi press in a tabletop hardware box?! is this not taking the whole "i just need to get away from the laptop" thing a bit too far???
tuj
Nutritional Zero wrote:

Look at the prices for compressors, the only thing halfway cheap is the Really Nice Compressor. Studio rackmount compressors are the price of a car. Some of them are enormous and mono and you need to buy them in a properly balanced pair if you want to use them on a stereo buss. Blah!

While you are right if you are talking about a Distressor or some other very high-end compressor, there are lots of good compressors available at reasonable price points in 19" format. Symetrix is a favorite of mine for used gear, like the 525. DBX also has several models like the 166 that are cheap. And of course, there's the 3930 that everyone love-hates. Chameleon Labs 7720 is an amazing stereo compressor for buss compression and it is very affordable and has some nice features like a HPF on the detector. There is also the ART PRO VLA II which is a leveling amplifier; if you change the tubes to Mullards or NOS GE you can get some very good sounds out of these units. I have never been impressed with the RNC even though I have 2. They distort bass too much in regular mode. Supernice mode is the only way I can run them.
SoundPool
while not useful for me I find the idea of the compressor interesting and probably pretty compelling for those doing live dance oriented sets with hardware. to be able to reasonably replicate or make new compression settings without lugging around at best several 19" rack units or at worse some seriously large and expensive studio gear is a pretty nice deal. also to be able to switch between presets or have it done automatically via sequencer is pretty handy for having different compressions settings for different tracks - it opens some nice possibilities for more creative live use of compression as a compositional tool.

I also have no use for the reverb aside from as a listener it will be nice to see some new options because if I hear one more Eventide drenched performance I am going to lose my damn mind.
sonicmayhem
Already covered the tabletop fx with Oto Machines excellent Bim and Bam. I believe their compressor Boum is on the way as well!
dogoftears
this looks pretty portable to me...
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id =122

small, analog, loads of makeup gain, versatile, great for livesets.

personally i find multiband compression pretty lame to begin with-- one of the most overused/abused plug ins of the last decade-- sticking it in a hardware box for people to run their analog synths through just makes me puke in my mouth a little.

something like the elektron analog heat is a more interesting product to me. i would like to see more of these kind of portable but high quality saturation/distortion/clipping boxes out there.
radiokoala
dogoftears wrote:
something like the elektron analog heat is a more interesting product to me. i would like to see more of these kind of portable but high quality saturation/distortion/clipping boxes out there.

Check out nuX Drive Force: dual-channel stompbox with 32-bit digital signal processing, I think it has EQ and cabinet emulations + noise gate per channel (!), so you can have 2 differently colored output signals that you can mix & match. All the usual emulations there as well: from TS to RAT to Muff, — so a good tone-shaper overall. Digital, sure, but it's like $60, and 32-bit DSP?! I'm yet to see another company to pull something like that off, def have a look at some of their options (Loop Core Deluxe, Time Force) etc... Good stuff. thumbs up
dogoftears
radiokoala wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

Check out nuX Drive Force: dual-channel stompbox with 32-bit digital signal processing, I think it has EQ and cabinet emulations + noise gate per channel (!), so you can have 2 differently colored output signals that you can mix & match. All the usual emulations there as well: from TS to RAT to Muff, — so a good tone-shaper overall. Digital, sure, but it's like $60, and 32-bit DSP?! I'm yet to see another company to pull something like that off, def have a look at some of their options (Loop Core Deluxe, Time Force) etc... Good stuff. thumbs up

if i need a bunch of digital fx for a live set i will simply bring a laptop. i dont have the hang ups that others have regarding using a computer to make music (actually i think it's by far the most important tool in a modern setup). that pedal strikes me as another attempt to stick some plug ins in a tabletop/stomp box. i think this idea is silly. i'd rather just bring a real distortion pedal, or a real guitar amp with me. i like the elektron AH cus it's, well, analog, it has legit distortion and saturation that cannot be copied with a piece of software.

i can't imagine bringing that kilpatrick multipress with me any where when i could just as easily bring a laptop and run some DMG plug ins. there's no way you could convince me that the kilpatrick box is higher quality then the native plugs that are available today. but really, why the hell would i wanna run my shit through multi-band compression any way?! it messes with phase response even at neutral settings and has the tendency to completely tear a well constructed mix apart. i find it a lot more powerful and clean to just change the levels of the individual parts in a mix.
calaveras
I like the idea of the reverb box. Since I'm sick of using stompbox reverbs and rack mount reverbs are awkward to use in a modular setup.

The multiband compressor may very well be good as fuck. But I just don't really see spending money on a compressor unless it's an all analog, character compressor. Digital compressors can be very good. They have this thing where they can transparently control the signal dynamics without adding or removing harmonics. But if I am doing compression, I have all these wonderful DAW compressors to choose from. UAD 1176 LA2 and 670 plugins. Even the stock Logic Pro X compressor is very good.
When I am working in the analog domain, I want to use a DBX160, or something with tubes from the Summit or UA stables. Otherwise a lot of medium to crap quality compressors exist in the analog domain. 3630 for example.

But maybe I am an outlier. I don't really see the usefullness of a compressor in electronic/modular. Heck I don't get why companies make compressor modules for Euro?
Panason
Virtual digital is the new analog SlayerBadger!
syncretism
I'm always tempted by affordably priced, stereo compressors (cf the BugBrand Stereo Compress), but I have yet to hear an analogue compressor - or pretty much any dynamics tool - that sounds so much better than a good digital implementation that I can justify the purchase. Dynamics is one area where, imho, digital holds its own. Shit, the dynamics don't even use up DSP blocks in the Kurzweil KSP-8, and they're terrific. I think the only analogue device I have left now is the Safe Sound Audio Tracking Toolbox, which is great mostly for convenience (it does sound really good, though).

I agree with dogoftears w/r/t the Analog Heat; I gotta pick up one or two of those.
Panason
I'm 99.9% sure there is a cheaper option that's just as good as the Elektron box.
dogoftears
Panason wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure there is a cheaper option that's just as good as the Elektron box.

i'm 99.9% sure yr a troll.

did someone at elektron run over your dog or something??

please name a product which provides analog saturation, clipping, and distortion plus filtering in stereo with multiple modes, parallel processing, and a huge range of control for under $700.
Nutritional Zero
Just checked the Kilpatrick website.... Torque is gone and Redox has a few more details, now “coming in July” (which means I doubt we’ll get to hear it before end of year).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1