MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900
Catmandeux
Pittsburgh Modular throws their hat into the ring of semi modular again, this time with something that looks like a Dreadbox crossed with an M32 patchbay.

Finally a name and a blurry photo to go with the original teaser vid.

Doesn’t appear to have a eurorack mounting option as I don’t see any screws at the corners. Purely stand alone semi modular thus far.

[/video]
anselmi
it seems like the semi-modular and mega-delays era is here
dumbledog
i effin love semi-modulars so give it to me.
Catmandeux
Lots of good west coast timbres in the video below!!

https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/pittsburgh-modular/pittsburgh-m odular-microvolt-3900-synthesizer-r1740

Architecture
Type: Analog
Synthesis: Subtractive, Wave Folding
Oscillators
Oscillators: 1
Waveforms: Pulse, Saw Down, Sine
Osc Modulation: Envelope, Input, Keyboard, Knob, LFO
Envelopes
Envelopes: 3
Evelope Paramerters: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, Looping, Slope, Triggered
Envelope Notes::
1 x ADSR
1 x Function Generator (Slope)
1 + Low Pass Gate
Filters
Filters: 1
Types: 24dB Slope (4-pole), Low Pass, Resonance
Filter Modulation: Envelope, Keyboard, Knob
Filter Notes:
+ 2 resonance modes
+ Binary Filter
LFO
LFO: 1
LFO Parameters: Sample & Hold, Saw Up, Saw Down, Sine, Square, Triangle
Polyphony & Tuning
Polyphony: 1
Timbrality: 1
Tuning: Standard
Modes: Mono
Arpeggiator
+ Modes: Up, Down, Etc.
+ Hold
Case
Case: Desktop
Controls: Buttons, Knobs, Sliders, Modulation 1/8" Jacks, Pedal - Filter
Display Type: LED, Backlit
Connections
Audio Output Connections: 1/8" Phone Jack, Mono Out
MIDI Ports: IN, OUT
CV Ports: CV IN, CV OUT, Gate In, Gate Out
Production
Year Released: 2018
Manuals & Documents
Pricing
Retail Street Price: $629

strangegravity
1 OSC d'oh!
Catmandeux
starthief
strangegravity wrote:
1 OSC d'oh!

So is the 0-Coast. This seems more like a... Both Coast? With both the filter and something closer to a traditional LPG.

Like on the 0-Coast you should be able to abuse the function generator at audio rates for many giggles, or just connect another VCO. Also with the patch points it seems like separating the filter, making it self-resonate and mixing it into the external audio input is another thing that'd work.

No EOR/EON on the ADSR/function generator and no CV over the LFO is about the only part of this that makes me sad; seems kind of typical for Pittsburgh where one always wishes for a couple more inputs than they provide.

I'm currently thinking about my relationship to semi-modulars though and with several Euro modules I plan to jump on in the next 2-3 months, this is gonna be lower priority.
starthief
starthief wrote:
Also with the patch points it seems like separating the filter, making it self-resonate and mixing it into the external audio input is another thing that'd work.

...except I just saw another demo where they said it's an SVF with "infinite resonance without self-oscillation", oh well smile
strangegravity
starthief wrote:
strangegravity wrote:
1 OSC d'oh!

So is the 0-Coast. This seems more like a... Both Coast? With both the filter and something closer to a traditional LPG.

Like on the 0-Coast you should be able to abuse the function generator at audio rates for many giggles, or just connect another VCO. Also with the patch points it seems like separating the filter, making it self-resonate and mixing it into the external audio input is another thing that'd work.

No EOR/EON on the ADSR/function generator and no CV over the LFO is about the only part of this that makes me sad; seems kind of typical for Pittsburgh where one always wishes for a couple more inputs than they provide.

I'm currently thinking about my relationship to semi-modulars though and with several Euro modules I plan to jump on in the next 2-3 months, this is gonna be lower priority.

Guess what I said about the 0-coast 1 OCS ........... d'oh!

At least toss in a second OSC with a tune knob and a saw/square switch. Allow for some FM and voice mixing.
Spectromat

Interesting.. hmmm.....
thevegasnerve
I dig it, very cool little synth.
luketeaford
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this thing sounds bad. I like the wave folder section, but that filter comes off sounding really horrible in the demos. It reminds me of my Roland JX-305 except without stepping.

The rest of it just seems bland to me. I like Pittsburgh, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer this to an SV1 or frankly any other semi modular synthesizer.
bhmcc
luketeaford wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this thing sounds bad. I like the wave folder section, but that filter comes off sounding really horrible in the demos. It reminds me of my Roland JX-305 except without stepping.

The rest of it just seems bland to me. I like Pittsburgh, but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer this to an SV1 or frankly any other semi modular synthesizer.

You are definitely not the only one... I wasn't impressed with the sound either and I generally like Pittsburgh stuff. Also, it seemed like Richard was having a tough time finding the sweet spots when twiddling which isn't too confidence inspiring.
leftbracket
Odd to see Pittsburgh making something with even a hint of originality. Never understood how so many are so into them.
cscairney
I hear a lot of potential in this thing... Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a switch that allows one to self oscillate the filter or dial it back
starthief
The more I think about it, the less sense it makes for me to switch out my 0-Coast for it. I have the best parts of this already in the Double Helix.
AW198
starthief wrote:
starthief wrote:
Also with the patch points it seems like separating the filter, making it self-resonate and mixing it into the external audio input is another thing that'd work.

...except I just saw another demo where they said it's an SVF with "infinite resonance without self-oscillation", oh well smile

Doesn't it self resonate when you engage the overdrive circuit in the filter controls?
bobdylan
I guess people like the cable management but I'm not a fan of the segregated patch bay. I like reaching into a deep tangle of cables! hihi Otherwise this thing sounds awesome. Definitely seems like their take on the 0-Coast. Wish it was euro mountable though... Definitely would have swapped out my SV-1 for this...
Rex Coil 7
luketeaford wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this thing sounds bad....
Right there with ya, Ace!

On another note, they've gone so far away from what/who they originally started out as .... what with the "Lifeforms" stuff, and now this ... uh ... thing.

Oh look, another normalized synth with only one VCO .... oh how original and fresh.

"Me Too" culture ... ugh ... With the resources that some of these manufacturers have at their reach, one would like to think we'd see better from some of them.

What next ... OH! I KNOW! Let's build a digital mega-box that can be programmed to do anything ....

oh wait, seems like expert sleepers, Line 6, Boss, .... uhm .. yea ...

meh

Seriously man, is that all they got?

seriously, i just don't get it
Funkydroid
From Pittsburgh "this is the best filter we made so far" and then reading this topic...

...ouch, you guys are a tough audience, but i like that hihi

I can imagine it's temptating to enter the "behringer/arturia" market and make what average synth joe wants. They coincidentally beat Behringers Neutron launch so good for them. But definitely lacks the wow factor, altough can see this as a nice addition to the smaller modular rack, where you can add additional osc.

Eitherway, innovation doesn't stop in the land of music electronics, one gives away little bit and 2 new heads will arise. Bump!
dumbledog
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
luketeaford wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this thing sounds bad....
Right there with ya, Ace!

On another note, they've gone so far away from what/who they originally started out as .... what with the "Lifeforms" stuff, and now this ... uh ... thing.

Oh look, another normalized synth with only one VCO .... oh how original and fresh.

"Me Too" culture ... ugh ... With the resources that some of these manufacturers have at their reach, one would like to think we'd see better from some of them.

What next ... OH! I KNOW! Let's build a digital mega-box that can be programmed to do anything ....

oh wait, seems like expert sleepers, Line 6, Boss, .... uhm .. yea ...

meh

Seriously man, is that all they got?

seriously, i just don't get it

NAMM next year is scheduled to take place on your lawn
clipper
not a new concept or format, but interesting package. unfortunately, bad design and marketing (need good demos to judge properly..)
starthief
dumbledog wrote:
NAMM next year is scheduled to take place on your lawn

lol
flabby
bobdylan wrote:
I guess people like the cable management but I'm not a fan of the segregated patch bay. I like reaching into a deep tangle of cables! hihi Otherwise this thing sounds awesome. Definitely seems like their take on the 0-Coast. Wish it was euro mountable though... Definitely would have swapped out my SV-1 for this...

I think the O-Coast and the micro volt are takes on the Buchla Music Easel. Both have that kinda sound, although each with their own character. I like the inclusion of a resonant filter because LPGs aren't always appropriate IMO. It would be nice to see them both with memory though. Don did it way back in the 70s and the new easel has the iProgram card, none of which compromises sound or performance....IMO
Tonsil
Looks like they pushed back the delivery date. Originally it was supposed to be April 27, 2018 (today), but they just updated the website to say "shipments beginning May 25th." No idea why, yet.

https://pittsburghmodular.com/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3