MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new OP-1-like synth!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author new OP-1-like synth!
anselmi
OK, this isn´t the best demo in town but certainly it's hilarious...and the synth deserves a look

company site
https://www.sonicware.jp/home-1

it´s under $500, so maybe an interesting piece of gear to try
Spectromat
lol thumbs up
Koekepan
The KDJ-ONE is in final production prototyping, so there's every reason to believe that it'll be a closer competitor. Doesn't look as if this other gadget incorporates a sequencer (which obviously the OP-1 does).

I'd bet on the KDJ-ONE being the better item for comparison.
Spectromat
To be clear,, it was the demo that made me giggle not the OP1 comparison.. lol
Spectromat
estin
this looks pretty neat, would make a great travel piece with headphones just making soundscapes on this go.
rowsbywoof
I know it's not necessarily trying to be the next OP-1, but not having a sequencer or project mode (and, saying this is a synth, not a workstation) seems sort of underwhelming to me.

That's the biggest draw to me of the TE stuff, is that they can work as a scratchpad for ideas. If it's just a portable synth, I feel like we've got that ground covered all over the place with better polished options. Maybe it's just the overall presentation of this thing, and really they need to find someone else to demo it, but I'd say it's pretty lackluster right now even if it is in the sub $500 range.
estin
I actually like how its just a playable instrument and not a production station. I really enjoy playing with synths in an ephemeral manor just like someone else might sit down and play a guitar. Would really like to hear some vast pads and scapes being done on this.
rowsbywoof
estin wrote:
I actually like how its just a playable instrument and not a production station. I really enjoy playing with synths in an ephemeral manor just like someone else might sit down and play a guitar. Would really like to hear some vast pads and scapes being done on this.

Fair enough, and it seems the creators of the ELZ_1 have the same idea in mind.
UltraViolet
Seems like a nice highly portable synth in spite of the underwhelming demo. Probably not really fair to compare it with something that costs about 3 times as much.
anselmi
the original post is from NAMM 2018...in 2019 there´s a new video with better display of the synth´s capabilities
Koekepan
Well, the KDJ-ONE shipped, and it's actually quite a nice little workstation in its way. Granted, I got the Kickstarter deal, but in my view it was money well-spent.
estin
watched a few more vids and really liking what I am hearing. Will likely end up with one of these. Price is less than a complex euro oscillator hihi
Gyroscope
Doesn't seem it can sample. Too bad that would've been nice.
estin
Its a synth though, not a sampler or production station.
Fallen_lassen
Without sampling it isn’t op-1 like. cool
estin
Yes would be nice if the title was amended but that is not my call. hihi I don't get the Op-1 comparison. They are both portable and rectangles similarities kinda stop there. Reminds me more of critter & guitari from appearance anyhow.
PLNB
So this synth keeps showing up at the booths with new stuff. Sync in and a sequencer now (64 step). Fast sound design focused. The keys look Elektronish.

There are three slots for sampling currently using the granular engine. Not OP1 like, but it has inputs with volume adjustment, so the hardware is equipped.
Gribs
Did anyone buy one of these?

It is definitely not like an OP-1. I am interested in it more for the unusual low-fi synth engine.

Is anyone able to comment about MIDI implementation and the USB port? This seems to be a weakness in the design.
Systemj69
I have Just received one of them . Actually impossible to link with MPE keyboards (Linnstrument for example), mini USB B /Mio one adapter/Midi connector not a very simple configuration in comparison with standard and direct midi connexions. I must check with my Novation SL-MK2 and give you a feedback rapidly.
Good sound and synthesis engines, new step sequencer, very good news, not a sampler at this moment but Sonicware is listening its customers, a reason to be confident and to hope that ELZ1 will be much improved in the future.
Gribs
Systemj69 wrote:
I have Just received one of them . Actually impossible to link with MPE keyboards (Linnstrument for example), mini USB B /Mio one adapter/Midi connector not a very simple configuration in comparison with standard and direct midi connexions. I must check with my Novation SL-MK2 and give you a feedback rapidly.
Good sound and synthesis engines, new step sequencer, very good news, not a sampler at this moment but Sonicware is listening its customers, a reason to be confident and to hope that ELZ1 will be much improved in the future.

Cool, thanks for the info!
Systemj69
Another thing perhaps a detail but don't be surprise when you decide to open the "magic" box containing ELZ1, no more accessories than a black cover with Sonicware logo, a letter from the designer himself and a very small manual.
All mini USB B/A, midi connector, adapter, socket, battery, ..must be purchased separately and the complete manual dowloaded from the sonicware site Mr. Green
slumberjack
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/e578ad_5705779beb97438faafe4763941b 0b1f~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_336,h_253,al_c,lg_1,q_80/e578ad_5705779beb97438 faafe4763941b0b1f~mv2.webp

...found this on their website. it is a lovely picture a nice synth! thx for sharing.
MindMachine
I dicked around with one at Perfect Circuit yesterday. Kind of cool. Looked at the back. No gate out. No cv out. Too bad on that front.
Systemj69
MindMachine wrote:
I dicked around with one at Perfect Circuit yesterday. Kind of cool. Looked at the back. No gate out. No cv out. Too bad on that front.

Certainly, but this negative point is equivalent to OP-1, in all case connectivity are limited to USB-Host design. Perhaps it should be possible to resolve this pb with MIDI/CV converter ..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2