MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for hard disk recorder / Octatrack replacement
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Looking for hard disk recorder / Octatrack replacement
musicweasel
I originally purchased an Octatrack to try and build an all hardware setup. But The OT always forces me into a pattern and I cannot record anything very long on it. Does anyone know of anything that can behave more like a multitrack recorder/editor?

Basically, I have some synths and effects. I want to have a self-contained system that I can jam and build tracks on. Is there anything?
Koekepan
musicweasel wrote:
Basically, I have some synths and effects. I want to have a self-contained system that I can jam and build tracks on. Is there anything?

I'm going to say this quickly before the Muffwiggler Mafia catches up with me. Those guys are brutal...

It sounds as if what you want is a workstation. There are a few small options (the OP-1 is commonly discussed) but it really comes down to a couple of manufacturers; Akai Professional, KORG, and Casio are the three that spring to mind.

Each manufacturer has battery-driven options, even with a 61 key (or bigger) keyboard attached (KORG and Casio) but if you're looking for studio equipment, they also all have big offerings that will sit well on mains power.

If money, space and power are no object, you want the Kronos or the MPC X. If you want to assemble tracks in an economy class seat, the MPC Live is the way to go. If you want a big keyboard, but you're low on cash, look at Casio's options. They're less featureful than the others, but the price is right.

Hope this helps! Wait, I hear something... it's the sound of a thousand muffs being wiggled ... nooooooo!
cscairney
If you save presets as initialized templates for what you want to achieve then any of Gotharman's sampling instruments are a lot of fun in this regard. A little learning curve but no more than elektron gear.
euromorcego
musicweasel wrote:
Does anyone know of anything that can behave more like a multitrack recorder/editor?

how something that behaves more like a multitrack recorder?

like a ... multitrack recorder. I have a zoom r8 and quite like it. The larger version the R24 has 8 inputs. Both are sampler, can record on SD card and you can edit "patterns". Both can do a lot more than you would expect from simple recorders, they are more hybrids between a mpc and a hd recorder.
Big drawback, however, is the lack of sync. The only way is old-school audio sync (you can specify any track for the headphone output and use it as a click track for analogue gear ... but no midi sync, there are gadgets though that convert a audio click track into a midi clock).

The L-12 looks even better but lacks the sampling capabilities (just like the R16), the L-12 with some of the features of the R24 would have been amazing.

Or have a look at the MPC1000. With the JJ OS there are also audio tracks (google) ... of course the MPC LIVE is also an option (as is a tablet).
LameAim
What's your budget?

If you want something that's more than a multitrack recorder, you should definitely consider the MPC Live or the MPC X - supposedly they're great at that sort of thing.

Or, if you're not opposed to considering used gear on the older side, you should take a look at the Roland MV-8800. The Audio Track/Audio Phrase interplay sounds pretty close to what you want, and those units hold a whole lot of power at a fairly great price point these days.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-mv8800
slicetwo
Are you looking to sequence? Record? Both? If the former, look at the Cirklon or Pyramid sequencers to act as the brain for your gear. If the latter, find a digital 8 track or something. If both, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Gyroscope
I replaced the Octatrack with a MPC Live. Greatly suggested!
GovernorSilver
Depends if your'e trying to record audio or MIDI.

Octatrack will let you stream audio of any size from a CF card, if you use a Static Machine - this doesn't solve your problem of limited recording time but you should be aware of this in case you weren't before.
slicetwo
GovernorSilver wrote:

Octatrack will let you stream audio of any size from a CF card, if you use a Static Machine - this doesn't solve your problem of limited recording time but you should be aware of this in case you weren't before.

Theoretically, you could multitrack on the OT. Set the recorders to have unlimited recording up to the 80mb. Record one take, then save it and load it into a Static machine, then do that over and over until you have all your takes. It'd be a bitch and kind of silly, but I guess it is doable.
GovernorSilver
slicetwo wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Theoretically, you could multitrack on the OT. Set the recorders to have unlimited recording up to the 80mb. Record one take, then save it and load it into a Static machine, then do that over and over until you have all your takes. It'd be a bitch and kind of silly, but I guess it is doable.

That's a good point- anything you record to the OT RAM, you can save into the CF card.

I agree, not the recommended workflow but I've heard of one or two peeps doing it. Merlin's classic article on OT audio recording/sampling:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/a-polished-version-of-merlins-ot-guide- here/42860/3

Now if the OP''s problem is with recording MIDI, then of course a different solution would be needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1