MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Complete Rack Redesign, I have 15 HP Left
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Complete Rack Redesign, I have 15 HP Left
JMR
So I've recently been rebuilding my modular from the ground up, selling all the modules I currently have and designing what I want it to be going forward. I've currently got a rough draft, but after switching the Qu-Bit chord for the Make Nosie tELHARMONIC, I've been left with 15 extra hp.

I wanted to know everyones opinion on what should go there and on any things that I'm missing or don't need in my rack. I plan to externally sequence, but something like a varigate is definitely still on my radar. Some of the modules I've been looking at include Warps, ModDemix, Batumi, Ornament and Crime, or another sound source (like Loquelic Iteritas or another tELHARMONIC).

I want to use this rack both for film scores and for heavy EDM stuff (trap influenced), aiming mostly to create new sounds for use in both

Modulargrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/590241

Thanks!
AW198
Looks like a pretty full featured rack - maybe some more VCAs and modulation? Also not sure you need Shelves unless you hate in-the-box stuff, because an EQ seems an odd thing to use hp on and generally have in a rack to me.
JMR
I had thrown shelves into the mix to do some eqing on some of the oscillators before running them through more effects. Would more mod sources and vcas be better worth the space?
cptnal
I'm into VCA Matrices at the moment. It's a complete headfuck when you realise what they're capable of. Loads of inputs though, so you'd probably want some more modulation. I'd suggest the Batumi.

Warps is tons of fun as well, especially with the Parasite firmware. This is fun!
calvinsomething
Instead of the Lxd how about an Optomix? Maybe a Varigate 4+?
JMR
I'd seen mixed things about whether to go with the optomix or lxd. What makes you say optomix over lxd? Varigate is a definite want too, but I figured I do most of my sequencing externally for now
jonleebrown
I'd say Shelves is _not_ just EQ--especially the expanded version.

Maybe I am just rationalizing having it in my rack. smile
goldi
EQ's are hella important! I use the resonant EQ in every patch just to sculpt things to perfection. Might as well do it now rather than using an inferior EQ later ..
JMR
Hmmm, I think I'll decide whether or not to get shelves after buying a couple of these modules first. I definitely can't afford this whole system at once
MarcelP
JMR wrote:
So I've recently been rebuilding my modular from the ground up, selling all the modules I currently have and designing what I want it to be going forward.

Thanks!

Hi,

this begs the question: what was your rack before the re-vamp and what prompted you to have a radical rethink? Was it, on the one hand, a change of artistic direction - or were all your modules simply (and for want of a better phrase) “shit”? Or more likely something in between these two positions? Knowing that might make any advice more relevant - and simply be interesting for anyone starting out or finding their current rack less than stimulating...
williamjturkel
JMR wrote:
I'd seen mixed things about whether to go with the optomix or lxd. What makes you say optomix over lxd? Varigate is a definite want too, but I figured I do most of my sequencing externally for now

Optomix (and Moddemix) have a pair of individual outs that make it easy to do feedback patching, and a summed out that lets you monitor the results. They also have an Aux input that lets you add a signal to the mix. Optomix’s damp input also lets you do more with your vactrol pings. That said, I also love the Meng Qi DPLPG if you’re looking for a small LPG.
JMR
MarcelP wrote:
JMR wrote:
So I've recently been rebuilding my modular from the ground up, selling all the modules I currently have and designing what I want it to be going forward.

Thanks!

Hi,

this begs the question: what was your rack before the re-vamp and what prompted you to have a radical rethink? Was it, on the one hand, a change of artistic direction - or were all your modules simply (and for want of a better phrase) “shit”? Or more likely something in between these two positions? Knowing that might make any advice more relevant - and simply be interesting for anyone starting out or finding their current rack less than stimulating...

My rack before was a very standard east coast rack, based around an M32 and focused on subtractive synthesis. Over time, I started to realize that all of the sounds I could really get out of it were essentially the same. I would either end up with some basic analog tone that I could have gotten from a much cheaper monolog, or some uninteresting crazy patch that has very limited use for anything interesting.

So I suppose it would fall into the both category. The modules themselves weren't necessarily shit, but in the context of what I want now, they are. And artistically, I've shifted from wanting to be a cut rate deadmau5 or Dillon Francis, to something a bit more freeform.

With that said, I'm still very grateful to the M32 and my old rack in general, because it's taught me the building blocks of modular in a way that videos never could have approached
JMR
Quick Update:

This is the current idea: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/590241

This is the order in which I plan to buy the modules (read left to right, bottom row first, then middle, and the top is maybe modules):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/592353
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1