MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ambient drone rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Ambient drone rack
bad_algorithm
Another new rack thread Guinness ftw! very frustrating

I recently started this rabbit hole after pre-ordering a Folktek Mescaline and am starting to expand and looking for some input.

So I have the following in a TipTop Mantis:

Make Noise Pressure Points
Make Noise Brains
Folktek Mesacline

and I think I want to get here:

(basically add a Maths, LxD, Function, Folktek Altar, and maybe a Braids)

I am still very new to Eurorack so I am doubting myself initially. I mainly want this for drone and ambient, but also want to be able to make some trip-hop inspired beats and Industrial from time-to-time.

I am not 100% sold on the Folktek Altar as I can wait for the pedal version and save space in the rack. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
AW198
Can mescaline be standalone? In which case you should take it out of the case because it's using up so much hp. I don't remember if it is off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Maths is a good shout, as always.

For drone and ambient stuff the cliche is Rings>Clouds, so personally I wouldn't recommend either, but you might want a delay module. After that get lots of modulation (Batumi, Intellijel Quadra, Wogglebug for randomness, etc), plenty of utilities to accompany them (VCAs, attenuverters, mixers, multiples) and make sure you have a reverb/dense delay of some description - a guitar pedal will give you more for the same price as a eurorack module.

For beats, I have no idea how much mescaline will help, but currently you have no drum modules at all, and you need at least 1 step sequencer (Circadian Rhythms?), since you'll need lots of gates/trigger signals for the drums. For industrial, consider Basimilus Iteritas Alter for a good starting point.

I've only really mentioned popular modules - they're popular because they're good and they work, but if you want to experiment even more then get a few starting modules like Maths, Veils, and Batumi, and then once you're comfortable with eurorack and knowing what you want out of new modules (trust me the only way to know this is to use the modules for a while) check the forum for people's favourite weird/rare modules. There's currently a thread which keeps popping up about that.

Hope that helps! If you aren't sure about concepts in eurorack then go over youtube videos and forum posts until you are - and don't buy loads of modules at once because you'll come to realise that not all of them may be/do what you want.
bad_algorithm
AW198 wrote:
Can mescaline be standalone? In which case you should take it out of the case because it's using up so much hp. I don't remember if it is off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm wrong.

It does take a lot of room, and it can be used as a standalone and comes with a stand, but I wanted to have everything closer and using a better power source so I got a rack. I am not opposed to having it back in the stand it came with, just a matter of juggling space at the moment.

AW198 wrote:
For beats, I have no idea how much mescaline will help, but currently you have no drum modules at all, and you need at least 1 step sequencer (Circadian Rhythms?), since you'll need lots of gates/trigger signals for the drums. For industrial, consider Basimilus Iteritas Alter for a good starting point.

The Mental part of the Mescaline is a drum synth, should I still go for something else you listed here?

http://folktek.com/instruments/symbiotic/mescaline

This is very helpful, thank you for you reply!
AW198
bad_algorithm wrote:
AW198 wrote:

It does take a lot of room, and it can be used as a standalone and comes with a stand, but I wanted to have everything closer and using a better power source so I got a rack. I am not opposed to having it back in the stand it came with, just a matter of juggling space at the moment.

Well feel free to keep it in the case - but I think you'll very quickly wish you had more space! You won't be able to build much of a eurorack system around mescaline with the hp you have left over, basically you'll just be able to add some utilities to it.

bad_algorithm wrote:
AW198 wrote:

The Mental part of the Mescaline is a drum synth, should I still go for something else you listed here?

http://folktek.com/instruments/symbiotic/mescaline

This is very helpful, thank you for you reply!

I wouldn't know what to add to Mental without actually trying it - I recommend just playing around with it, and as soon as you think 'hmm, I wish I could do THAT', try getting THAT without extra modules, and if you can't then that's what you need to buy!
bad_algorithm
Basimilus Iteritas Alter has moved to the top of my list for next add on, thanks for this.
williamjturkel
NLC triple sloths for slow modulation. If you want slow, unpredictable gates, feed sloths into Xaoc Drezno or Joranalogue Compare 2.
Andy137
By the way, is Erica Synths DSP good for drones?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1