MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What’s do I do with a linear FM input on a filter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author What’s do I do with a linear FM input on a filter?
oneano
After a lot of searching I found a CV expander for the micro hadron collider. This gives me linear fm inputs on the dual filters.

What can I do with linear fm inputs on a filter?
authorless
Modulate the cutoff frequency of the filter.
Cybananna
if it's the input I'm thinking of, plug in an audio source for instant great filter fM
Michael O.
Tons of interesting and more managable/predictable modulation than with an exponential input.

In particular it should sound pretty nice using the (self oscillating) filter as a sound source and modulating it with a simple waveform (like a sine wave).

Since it’s a dual filter you could have the filters modulate one another- throw in a little sequenced cv or slewed random voltages and you’ve got some pretty nifty sounds going.
oneano
Michael O. wrote:
Tons of interesting and more managable/predictable modulation than with an exponential input.

In particular it should sound pretty nice using the (self oscillating) filter as a sound source and modulating it with a simple waveform (like a sine wave).

Since it’s a dual filter you could have the filters modulate one another- throw in a little sequenced cv or slewed random voltages and you’ve got some pretty nifty sounds going.

It is a micro hadron collier, it has to really get tricked into self oscillating.

I can get a good sawtooth out of it, perhaps I will try that since a sine just isnt going to happen.

these are attenuverters on the lin FM inputs, I was playing around with feeding the output back into the lin fm inputs, but havent gotten results that way just yet.
Michael O.
oneano wrote:
Michael O. wrote:

It is a micro hadron collier, it has to really get tricked into self oscillating.

I can get a good sawtooth out of it, perhaps I will try that since a sine just isnt going to happen.

these are attenuverters on the lin FM inputs, I was playing around with feeding the output back into the lin fm inputs, but havent gotten results that way just yet.

Ah, I see, I was unfamiliar with that particular filter.

Was going to recommend manually patching more feedback in order to induce oscillation, but seeing as you’ve already tried that I’m kind of stumped. Linear fm is most interesting at audio rates to avoid the clangorous/off pitch/odd ratio of a differently-scaled input, maybe they just included it for completion’s sake and to have a feature others don’t, regardless of how useful or necessary it may be.
thetwlo
oneano wrote:

hmmm..... that doesn't sound right, mine easily self-oscillates in every mode.
commodorejohn
Anything where you want the effective modulation depth to decrease as you play further up the scale is a situation where linear FM is useful. Of course, the effect is less dramatic with filter FM, particularly if it's not tracking the keyboard to begin with, but still notable.
mt3
Plug nonlinearities into it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1