MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

(d)evolution of a wiggler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author (d)evolution of a wiggler
huffnPuff
Current rack

Future rack

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Posting this here because this isn’t format / module choice related.
cptnal
Oooooo.... eek!

You haven't given much idea what kind of feedback you're after, so just oooooo.
huffnPuff
Yes!

ooooo aaa ggg hhhh where it used to be &;@5&€}^!hdubdy
Rex Coil 7
Wait ... did I log in to Modular Grid? Odd, I don't even have an account.

huffnPuff wrote:
Current rack
Current "this is the synth I'll never be able to afford so I pretend" rack.

Modular Grid is open 24/7, just so you know.
Pighood
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Modular Grid is open 24/7, just so you know.

When I walked to the lobby entrance, it said they were closed for lunch.
huffnPuff
This thread is headed the wrong way unfortunately.

The message of this story is when I started out (that was 5 years ago) I wanted a synth that could ‘do it all’. I now have more focus on what I want it to do, and have aggregated the functionality into building blocks from the same maker/ brand with their own aesthetic and UI. The original synth, at a glance, looks cluttered in comparison.

I’m not sure on the choice of modules yet, may integrate more modules that I currently have in the new system, but still as larger blocks (e.g. a Buchla inspired block). The smallest unit, in my current vision, is no longer a single module.

Also, I see a shift from the experimental to the traditional and was wondering if others have made similar choices after a while.

I posted this in the general modular section for a reason, although the vast selection of modules and influences in eurorack plays a part in that I guess.
Parnelli
Understood. I too wanted to build a system that would do everything; unfortunately I cannot afford to do it!

That being said after a little over a year I am still experimenting quite a bit, but have also stepped off in a couple different directions musically. Though I don't club or dance I thought it might be cool to make some techno at some point just for the experience.

Being rather new though I'm not sure what "traditional" modular usage would encompass; I would like to get into doing soundscapes or tracks for film. When I initially wanted (but couldn't afford to) to get into this decades ago I would have been happy to reproduce Pink Floyd's "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" or something like that, but now I'd like to pursue a more disciplined approach, one that makes more musical sense.

If that makes sense at all...
stickmann
Any Modulargrid imaginary rack that is larger than a 6U system takes a long time to analyze and make sense of.

It is a serious time commitment to look at two 12U monster racks and try to differentiate between them, especially with no context. I don't think I could look at a lot of modular systems and be able to pick out the user's "preferred genre" either. Unless it has both Rings and Clouds, then it would be generative ambient.
z0r
What are you replacing the QCD and expander with?
huffnPuff
z0r wrote:
What are you replacing the QCD and expander with?

Trigger Riot.

Also I think the Teletype in the first row should be able to do a lot with incomming triggers from the TR.
huffnPuff
stickmann wrote:
Any Modulargrid imaginary rack that is larger than a 6U system takes a long time to analyze and make sense of.

It is a serious time commitment to look at two 12U monster racks and try to differentiate between them, especially with no context. I don't think I could look at a lot of modular systems and be able to pick out the user's "preferred genre" either. Unless it has both Rings and Clouds, then it would be generative ambient.

True, all of the above.

Except I don’t think of it in terms of musical genres, just as approaches to sound design. You can make techno with pianos and strings, as Brandt Brauer and Frick have so aptly demonstrated.

May I ask then, in general terms, what changes your rack has seen over the years?
cptnal
It all makes sense once you explain it. screaming goo yo

I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that, as long as you have the bases covered - sound sources, sound processors, utilities - then you can do whatever the heck you like if you patch it well. You can adjust the specifics to taste, and those are easier questions to answer than comparing one monster system with another. thumbs up

But I'm still not clear whether any of this is real. hmmm.....
MarcelP
huffnPuff wrote:
This thread is headed the wrong way unfortunately.

The message of this story is when I started out (that was 5 years ago) I wanted a synth that could ‘do it all’. I now have more focus on what I want it to do, and have aggregated the functionality into building blocks from the same maker/ brand with their own aesthetic and UI. The original synth, at a glance, looks cluttered in comparison.

I’m not sure on the choice of modules yet, may integrate more modules that I currently have in the new system, but still as larger blocks (e.g. a Buchla inspired block). The smallest unit, in my current vision, is no longer a single module.

Also, I see a shift from the experimental to the traditional and was wondering if others have made similar choices after a while.

I posted this in the general modular section for a reason, although the vast selection of modules and influences in eurorack plays a part in that I guess.

Hi,

just doing a "blink test" between the two racks (rather than deep analysis - I don't have experience of all of the modules) I can see the future is much more focused to a task than the rack from the past.

I have been in this less than two years and so am still in the experimental/try-things-out phase - hence your rack from the past looks more appealing to me. I imagine at some point I will focus on a particular style/method/approach and my rack(s) will become more directed - probably in a different way to yours as I imaging "mature" racks are much more a reflection of the individual than "new" racks. Hence I guess why most newby racks are similar - they are play areas/sand-pits for newer guys to find out what works/find their voice.

It would be interesting to see more comparisons of old/new racks where the venerabe Wiggler has learned and adapted over the years: are there common misconceptions the new guys have, do the ideals of a newby stand the test of practical experience, does the musical vision drive the rack or does the rack dictate the musical direction, etc?
BaloErets
Nice direction. Always happy to see a Sports Mod in a rack. That thing is nuts.

BUT, you're really getting rid of the Verbos ATC? That's crazy-talk!
Junk Rhythm
BaloErets wrote:
Always happy to see a Sports Mod in a rack. That thing is nuts.

w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1