MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-Bit Synapse - Crossfading Switch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Qu-Bit Synapse - Crossfading Switch
Qu-Bit Electronix
Synapse is a voltage controlled, crossfading switch.

- Eight inputs
- Seven unique outputs including individual channel outs and 3 sum outputs
- Clickless switching
- Eight memory positions to store/recall current VCA/Crossfade positions
- Internal LFO modulation capabilities

ETA- June
Price- $339
20hp

More videos and feature overviews will be coming soon.
Let us know any questions and we will respond!

reppiks
Most important question: can I have one NOW? wink Ha, this is simply fantastic!

Other questions:

- does it save all settings on power down?

- what happens when you turn the crossfade knobs after selecting a different memory slot: does the crossfade position jump immediately to the knob position as soon as you move the knob?

- how does it respond to audio-rate modulation of the crossfade/terminal/scatter inputs?

Thanks!
Flohr
Qu-Bit Electronix

This looks brilliant. My top Euro pick from this year's NAMM.

Quick question: Is it DC coupled?
hawkfuzz
So the VCA function is from crossfading into an empty input?
chaosick
Flohr wrote:
Qu-Bit Electronix

Quick question: Is it DC coupled?

That was also my question.
Qu-Bit Electronix
Answers:
- Yes, it saves all settings on power down
- If you move a knob when a memory position is selected, it jumps to that value immediately
- All parameters will modulate into audio rate
- Yes, it is DC coupled so you can use it for CV or audio as your patch dictates
- When one input on a channel is empty you can use the other as a standard VCA
reppiks
Great!!
mdoudoroff
Props for creative thinking with this module. cool
revoltcrews
super thrilled for this release! ! applause screaming goo yo w00t This is fun!
Geaux
whoa not sure how I missed this one but I did. Looks awesome for rhythmic based systems though being DC coupled crossfading lots of modulation via other modulation seems rad. Imagine the crazy self patching on this thing This is fun!
mskala
How do you do "clickless" on DC control voltages - by adding a bit of slew?
VZvision
Absolutely love this concept (RXMX might have to move aside cool ). By far and away the most exciting concept I've seen so far in 2018 we're not worthy we're not worthy

Quick question for Qubit:

With a given pair of channels' crossfader in the centre, does this equate to both inputs being fed to the ouputs at "unity" so to speak (i.e. whatever amplitude A & B are entering at from the inputs goes to the outputs summed)?
jwm
wiiiiilllllll there be gray faceplates?
VZvision
2 other quick questions for Qubit:

1. What would be the difference between a gate CV on the scatter control giving you new random routing versus stepped random CV'ing the terminal control?

2. Do the memory slots save the terminal setting as well? (Mind officially blown if so eek! )

My brain is still reeling at the patch ideas this little guy is going to open up nanners
Crimesofthecrown
YES YES YES YES!

My eye sights have changed from the Blind Monk Modular Quad to this one....this seems much more tastier.
Qu-Bit Electronix
Answers:

When a channel's cross fader knob is at 12:00, both inputs will be at equal amplitude and sum accordingly. Synapse can function as an 8 channel mixer when all cross fade positions are set to center.

Yes, there will be silver front panels available.

1. What would be the difference between a gate CV on the scatter control giving you new random routing versus stepped random CV'ing the terminal control?
The difference will be, when applying CV to the terminal control, the channels will always output in the same order, (ie 1, 2, 3, 4). When you press scatter, the outputs are rearranged in a random order(ie 2, 4, 1, 3). It might be audibly very similar, however, they are different things and will be heard that way depending on the scenario.

2. Do the memory slots save the terminal setting as well? (Mind officially blown if so eek! )
This is configurable. You can have terminal outputs included in your memory slots or not.
EPTC
This looks like a great very creative module. Being a user of manual crossfaders the idea to CV automate fades and blends is outrageously cool.

Also, sometimes the pics for each user pairs interestingly with another user's profile pic, either directly above or below it.

Can't help but notice this juxtaposition from this thread:

That just really cracked me up.
With him looking up at them, it's like a small story!
gummyboy
Do you think this can replace WMD SSM or be the sequential switch? sort of....it doesn't have to have all the functions of SSM...

The clicks really bother me when you have audio signal as inputs on SSM.
VZvision
gummyboy wrote:
Do you think this can replace WMD SSM or be the sequential switch? sort of....it doesn't have to have all the functions of SSM...

The clicks really bother me when you have audio signal as inputs on SSM.

For myself, I'm pretty sure I'll end up replacing my RXMX with this.

In terms of replacing the SSM, I think there would be some pro's and con's:

Pro's:

1. You will definitely get rid of the clicks with audio that is not as harmonically rich since you are going through VCA's at the input rather than a switch

2. You will get 8 inputs into either 4 outs or a different variety of sum's as opposed to 4 inputs into 4 outs on the SSM

3. You will get crossfading at the inputs X4

Con's:

1. I don't think the synapse will come close to rivalling the SSM when it comes to pure sequential switching though. There are way too many nifty tricks on the SSM's feature set to match that

2. The high quality resistors on the SSM allow for precision adding of pitch, which I don't think the synapse will do as elegantly.

3. Your choice of summed outputs is essentially fixed on the synapse since the sums are set up either in pairs of channels, pairs of crossfaders, or a total sum. You can set up alternate routing with the terminal but it appears this either sequential or random with no non-linearity so to speak. The SSM is a bit more flexible here since you choose exactly what sums go to what outputs.

4. Judging by the way they are handling the switching, the SSM as a pure switch looks a bit more flexible on how to set up routing since you set the matrices and you choose how to cycle through them (sequentially or non-linearly). On the synapse you are rather setting up mixes and then always SEQUENTIALLY cycling through those mixes.

Just my two cents and still hard to judge given there's not a lot of info yet. Personally have two SSM's and I wouldn't look to this to replace their functions. Am not always using them for audio though.

All that aside, am UNBELIEVABLY stoked for this module. I think its going to be bonkers nanners
gummyboy
VZvision wrote:

4. Judging by the way they are handling the switching, the SSM as a pure switch looks a bit more flexible on how to set up routing since you set the matrices and you choose how to cycle through them (sequentially or non-linearly). On the synapse you are rather setting up mixes and then always SEQUENTIALLY cycling through those mixes.

That's true.
I think I should wait for some more infos about Synapse.

Big Thanks!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1