MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

help choosing a sequencer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author help choosing a sequencer!
jburzy
I'm looking for a sequencer for my eurorack setup. My dream setup would have a voltage block + varigate 8+ but i have neither the money nor the HP for that right now. Instead, I am looking for a standalone CV/gate sequencer. So far I am considering the SQ-1 and the beatstep pro and leaning more toward the BSP. My only hesitation is that both of these are limited to 2 channels and I am currently working with 3 voices. What is everyone using for their sequencer needs? any suggestions/recommendations?
chess1
For a cost effective option do not over look the Ornament and Crime. If you already have CV and Trigger sources then you can go a pretty long way exploring the quantizer modes, Turing and my favorite Acid Curds. I have a four voice system and I am thinking about picking up another and putting a adder between them.
TheMentat
I had a similar dilemma and went with the BSP. The 8 gate CVs offer a lot of capacity for percussion voices (or other uses). Admittedly, the 2 pitch tracks will be a bit of a constraint soon, but that can easily be rectified with a simple (read inexpensive) analogue sequencer or the ornament_crime... not all of your voices will need all of the sequencing functionality that the BSP offers.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the thing. With the latest firmware it offers a ton of functionality... so much so that it would likely cost 3-4x as much to replicate it within the rack. It's pretty will thought out, and the workflow works pretty well for either live work or composition.

I'd pick up a used one and give it a try before heading into more expensive directions...
TheMentat
doh... double post
Agawell
+1 for the BSP

there are ways to get a third melody from the BSP

I was getting a pseudo 3rd cv by multing one cv and sending one copy to a v/oct and another to the min/max on my kinks and comparing it to the other cv from the bsp and then feeding the min and max values to different v/octs

a precision adder could replace the comparator

the velocity cvs through a quantizer might work

or some combination of the above
DruidTek
So many great options for sequencers these days, here's a list for comparison.

http://doudoroff.com/sequencers/
facklr
DruidTek wrote:

So many great threads in existence already on Muffwiggle when you search 'sequencer' under 'Eurorack" as well. thumbs up
Bachelard
For standalone, I have the SQ-1 and an Arturia Keystep. The SQ-1 always kinds a place in my patches because I can use it as a clock divider by turning gates off, poly-rhythmic sequencing by turning active steps off, manually resetting the sequence, etc. It's one of the most playable pieces of gear in my system. Keystep is a no brainer for a CV keyboard that can sync everything.
cephalicarnage
I have sold my rené and I have bought an Eloquencer. This has been one of the best purchase in my set. Programming is a little bit "anti-flow" when you want to make some long sequences (more than 16 bars), but it allows you to sequence everything in the way you want (or in the way you don't expect!).
I found it super useful in order to arrange steevio-style sequences
insoul8
Cirklon! 0 hp.
cptnal
cephalicarnage wrote:
I have sold my rené and I have bought an Eloquencer. This has been one of the best purchase in my set. Programming is a little bit "anti-flow" when you want to make some long sequences (more than 16 bars), but it allows you to sequence everything in the way you want (or in the way you don't expect!).

Aside - I think Steevio uses a pair of Doepfer A155s. The clever part is in running them with a different number of measures.
cephalicarnage
cptnal wrote:
cephalicarnage wrote:

Aside - I think Steevio uses a pair of Doepfer A155s. The clever part is in running them with a different number of measures.

You can do the same thing with Eloquencer Guinness ftw! , and you can set until 8 different division of clock with different number of measure Dead Banana
Swing604
DruidTek wrote:

Thanks for this chart, it's extremely helpful! smile
rean1mator
if you have the cash and patience to wait a year for a cirklon. would be my first choice. if not,social entropy engine with cvio card is pretty awesome. 8 channels if cv. pretty easy to use once you get your head around the shortcuts.
goldi
Varigate 4+ is an option. You can even tie it to a regular 4 which is selling cheap these days.
robkramble
The new Mimetic Digitalis from Noise Engineering looks pretty perfect imo, definitely anticipating it eagerly.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1