MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Transposing sequences
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Transposing sequences
soundslikejoe
I'm working on different ideas for transposing in modular. It seems there are two types of transposition, and not all modules can do both without creative patching. Chromatic transposition and Diatonic transposition.

Chromatic seems to work well with something like an adder module. Take a sequence (R, 3, 5, 7) and add approximately 2 semitone voltage. The sequence would be the same interval structure (R,3,5,7) but one whole step higher. (ex C major arp to D major arp). Diatonic works with some sequencers like Stillson Hammer mkii or by placing a quanitzer AFTER the adder module (seq, adder, quantizer). This would take the sequence (Tonic Major chord, C major) and move it up a whole step but alter the chord to minor (R, b3, 5, b7, D minor).

I'm curious how you deal with transposition in patching. Anyone have other tips for moving a sequence through various keys or inversions?
chamomileshark
I thought it was standard to have a transpose input and you do that from a keyboard?

I guess another way to do it is to add a quantizer so your transpositions are always quantized.
soundslikejoe
Depends on the modules used and the patch. Often when I've done that, it only results in chromatic transposition and not diatonic transposition. Take a standard looping sequence from an LFO into Quantizer. Add voltage from keyboard and it shifts the sequence by those semitones. You'd need to patch the LFO into an adder, insert the keyboard voltage there, and then hit the quantizer for the sequence to stay within a diatonic key.
acidbob
I know this is in the general discussion but I use the Ladik easy quantizer, there must be something similar in other formats I would assume.
Great little module and very useful

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=769
cptnal
Since you mention Stillson Hammer I'll assume we're talking Euro and suggest Intellijel's uScale. It has the option to transpose diatonically and chromatically (and something else which I'm not quite sure of hmmm..... ).
Arcana
soundslikejoe wrote:
Depends on the modules used and the patch. Often when I've done that, it only results in chromatic transposition and not diatonic transposition. Take a standard looping sequence from an LFO into Quantizer. Add voltage from keyboard and it shifts the sequence by those semitones. You'd need to patch the LFO into an adder, insert the keyboard voltage there, and then hit the quantizer for the sequence to stay within a diatonic key.

Are you in this case using a precision adder, or do you just use any old adder and let the quantizer do the work?
captjrab
I use two sequencers, 1 into the 1v/oct and the other into the fm input of the VCO. The 1v/oct sequencer will play the melody and the fm sequencer will transpose (much slower clock on this one). Nothing too fancy.
cptnal
Arcana wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:

Are you in this case using a precision adder, or do you just use any old adder and let the quantizer do the work?

You can use any old mixer before quantization. After the pitch has been quantized you'd use a precision adder so things stay in tune.
soundslikejoe
Arcana wrote:
soundslikejoe wrote:

Precision adder usually refers to any adder that can precisely add +1v to the incoming CV (i think). This would only be good for octave transpositions.

So... for diatonic transposition by scale degree, you would put any added voltage (sequence + offset) into the quantizer. This should shift the pattern by X number of steps within the diatonic key (or whatever quantizer pitch set is chosen)
pre55ure
soundslikejoe wrote:

I'm curious how you deal with transposition in patching. Anyone have other tips for moving a sequence through various keys or inversions?

I generally prefer "diatonic" transposition. My way of dealing with this is generally only to use sequencers that support it. hihi

Another thing to note - you can end up with different results by adding an additional quantizer before the "transpose" input on many sequencers, even if you are still using one post-sequencer. I tend to find that using quantizers on both inputs and outputs results in notes that are closer to what I want to hear. (if that makes sense).

Of course there are a couple of different algorithms that can be used to determine how a note is quantized and some quantizers make more "musical" choices than others.
ratchet
"Precision adder usually refers to any adder that can precisely add +1v to the incoming CV (i think). This would only be good for octave transpositions"

I thought a precision adder accurately summed whatever voltages are put into it? The A-185-2 can certainly do octave switching by adding or subtracting 1v with the switches. But plugging a different level into the inputs will add or subtract whatever level is introduced. Won't it?

Edit: I can't figure out how to quote parts of posts!
cptnal
ratchet wrote:
I thought a precision adder accurately summed whatever voltages are put into it? The A-185-2 can certainly do octave switching by adding or subtracting 1v with the switches. But plugging a different level into the inputs will add or subtract whatever level is introduced. Won't it?

Indeed. thumbs up
JohnLRice
Press the QUOTE button to see how it works in my post! cool

ratchet wrote:
I can't figure out how to quote parts of posts!

Quote:
I can't figure out how to quote parts of posts!
Klangzaun
To transpose a sequence I use different methods depending on the involved modules.

Some sequencer have a shift/transpose input which can be used. Just connect a keyboard or another sequencer or cv source here.

Or the sequencer pitch goes into 1 of 3 inputs of an oscillator. Then just add a keyboard or another cv source to a 2nd input.

If there is only 1 input on your oscillator I use a mixer before the input. The sequencer goes in the mixer, a keyboard goes an a 2nd input. The output goes in your oscillator.

I noticed I like to transpose sequencer with pressure points.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1