MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise Shared System Plus: Newb help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Make Noise Shared System Plus: Newb help!
Zifor
I have just purchased my first modular system the Make Noise Shared System Plus. I have watched a lot of people on the internet use modulars , watched many tutorials on how they work but im sure that will not prepare me for actually using one myself.

help help help help help help help help help

So can anyone point me in the right direction? Give me any help? Any good places to see patches? Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks! Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t
Javert
I take it you've watched the Make Noise video's on YouTube.

I've just recently got my first Eurorack gear (only 3 modules) but I feel I've learnt a bit from watching DivKid and Mylar Melodies on YouTube. Still, got my gear last weekend and now I realise I don't know anything at all.

Still, it's brilliant fun just messing around with stuff and seeing what happens.
Gyroscope
Take your time, learn one module at a time and don't get discouraged (even though you will)
Gyroscope
P.s.: you're lucky to start with such a nice system by the way, enjoy!
VZvision
This may be some good reading for you:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77764&highlight=
VortexRanger
The Shared System manual is specifically written for beginners to modular synthesis:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/bg-sharedsystemmanual.pd f
The Junglechrist
+1 on the manual, Make Noise are realy good at explaining stuff, the shared system manual is actualy super interesting to read even when you don't have the actual synth.
beersbikesbuns
Another +1 to the Shared System Manual. It's great reading for anyone getting started with eurorack
stike
npseaver
One module at a time is huge. (Even when I picked up a few in a quick run sooner than expected, I only really made progress in exploring patching possibilities when really focusing on single modules—like try to get them to work as every kind of function, push things to extremes, look at all the threads and youtube videos you can find of it.)
12eightyfive
The single biggest hurdle for me was figuring out VCAs. Though they might seem like the least exciting part of the system at first, get to learn the Moddemix and the Optomix. Otherwise you'll have a lot of drones. Volume too, be careful with those levels! Also: are these out yet? Everywhere I've looked says 'coming soon' or pre-order
electricanada
Start with the Morphagene. It can make music by itself. Then add in some delay or reverb. Then add in Maths to modulate stuff. By now you're getting some crazy shit and you haven't even touched DPO or Rene yet.
Wiresandones
MN manuals have some patch ideas towards the end.

It’ll be hard to not be overwhelmed but agree with others and the single module focus.

One approach to also get you started -concentrate on simple things. Ex Connect a single output of the oscillator (DPO) to the VCA IN (optimix) and run that to the output.

Then start asking - how do I control the pitch? The volume?

Basically help your brain focus on a task rather than the overall modular. Soon it will make sense - but a full system will take time. Then you’ll be sleep deprived and loving every night and dreading all mornings.
BenignToxicity
I decided to go with the Cartesian and added a few other modules. The Shared is nice. I'll echo what others here have said... the MN videos are a great place to start. Patch-along with Tony... they can really help you to get an understanding of what's going on. There are other good Youtube videos as well... Mylarmelodies (I forget his MW name) has a great one on Maths (all his videos are great). Youtube is your friend... just type in a module name and you'll get someone running through it's capabilities... or just some great examples of stuff from your exact system. Caspar Hesselager has some fine Shared System videos up there.

I'm not particularly good with manuals... but I printed all the MN ones and got stuck-in. They can seem a little impenetrable... but once you get "a clue" it all starts to fall into place... it's like finding the corner and edge pieces of the jigsaw puzzle... once you've got those, it all comes together.

It certainly is a good idea to split your time between playing the complete system and concentrating on one particular module. Set yourself an objective and dig deep to find a way of doing it... or copy a patch and then drill down to understand why certain things are happening (I found that a Krell patch is good for that).

Well... it's been a little over a month since I started... and that's all working for me smile
Zifor
All very valid points. Thank you!
It was a bit of a toss up really. I will update you how i get on and if i have any more problems (which im sure i will). The one thing im skeptical of the system is that i might of maybe wanted to go a bit more digital and used e.g a hertz donut mk2 or a wave table osc. Or a double andore mk2. But i thought ultimately the system as a whole is more than the sum of all its parts. It seems to work really well as a comprehenise instrument without having a 12U set up and more £$£

12eightyfive wrote:
The single biggest hurdle for me was figuring out VCAs. Though they might seem like the least exciting part of the system at first, get to learn the Moddemix and the Optomix. Otherwise you'll have a lot of drones. Volume too, be careful with those levels! Also: are these out yet? Everywhere I've looked says 'coming soon' or pre-order

Thanks for reminding me about the VCAs. You can never have too many right?
I got mine from Red Dog music in the Uk. They assure me it is the plus system. It is arriving on Friday , so time will tell if it is the actual plus system with a metal case!

electricanada wrote:
Start with the Morphagene. It can make music by itself. Then add in some delay or reverb. Then add in Maths to modulate stuff. By now you're getting some crazy shit and you haven't even touched DPO or Rene yet.

I am very excited to try this out for an ambient piece with an octatrack for lots of mangling!

Gyroscope wrote:
P.s.: you're lucky to start with such a nice system by the way, enjoy!

Thank you! Its going to punch me in the face financially for quite a while so i hope its worth it!

Gyroscope wrote:
Take your time, learn one module at a time and don't get discouraged (even though you will)

This seems like the general bit of advice so i think i will start with that!

VortexRanger wrote:
The Shared System manual is specifically written for beginners to modular synthesis:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/bg-sharedsystemmanual.pd f

Amazing thanks!

VZvision wrote:
This may be some good reading for you:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77764&highlight=

Thats going to be super useful thank you! I will take all of your advice onboard. Ill post again soon to update you smile

nanners MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t Guinness ftw!
jfb
I also started my modular journey with a Make Noise Shared System. The things that I would note are mostly already mentioned here.

The manual is a must. I also grabbed the individual manuals for each module from the Make Noise site. Getting through all of that will take a while. I needed to read them more than once and I still reference them quite a bit, so don't let that discourage you.

Continue to keep an eye out for the usual videos that demonstrate patching with the modules/system. I have found them to be incredibly handy.

To practice with my Shared System I like to try and recreate sounds I hear or from songs I dig. Make Noise recently released a video, on their Instagram is where I watched it, called "Landline Blues" that is a good example of this.

Hope that helps. Have fun with it!
mayyammay
jfb wrote:
I also started my modular journey with a Make Noise Shared System. The things that I would note are mostly already mentioned here.

The manual is a must. I also grabbed the individual manuals for each module from the Make Noise site. Getting through all of that will take a while. I needed to read them more than once and I still reference them quite a bit, so don't let that discourage you.

Continue to keep an eye out for the usual videos that demonstrate patching with the modules/system. I have found them to be incredibly handy.

To practice with my Shared System I like to try and recreate sounds I hear or from songs I dig. Make Noise recently released a video, on their Instagram is where I watched it, called "Landline Blues" that is a good example of this.

Hope that helps. Have fun with it!

+1 To echo other posts, the Make Noise crew does a great job with their videos, manuals/patch diagrams, and instagram patch tips. Also, look up James Cigler on youtube. He did a nice series on Rene and Pressure Points.
AndrewSouthworth
I've just been searching around here and YouTube to figure things out. I wouldn't try to necessarily look for a patch for your system, but there are some resources that point to general structures of patches you can rig up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1