MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Converting V/oct to Hz/scale?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Converting V/oct to Hz/scale?
Neither
I've understood that the R-55 and the RK-4 VCO's are controllable through the Hz/v scale. The midi input in my planned rig is through Expert Sleepers FH-1 (USB-midi-to-Cv). So I can't really use R-60 interface for converting the signal. Would U-202 work instead? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-u-202-v-oct-to-hz-v-converter

I'm thinking of getting Metasonix S-2000 tube synth. Do you think the currently available Metasonix VCO's (R-55 & RK4) are worth getting in addition of S-2000 VCO's?
Yes Powder
I use both an English Tear Mk1 and Ladik U-202 for Hz/V conversion. The U-202 works very well. Only thing to keep in mind is that if you're using it with the R-55, you're gonna want a module that can provide some negative offset (like the Doepfer A183-2) running after the U-202 or it won't give you much range.

Also, yes; it's definitely worth it to have an additional Metasonix VCO in addition to the S-2000. The S-2000's audio in is lowkey one of its best assets, because you can run an R55 or RK4 into it and have the S-2000's operators free to do waveshaping, frequency division, or filtering— all controlled by the ribbon.
Neither
Yes Powder wrote:
I use both an English Tear Mk1 and Ladik U-202 for Hz/V conversion. The U-202 works very well. Only thing to keep in mind is that if you're using it with the R-55, you're gonna want a module that can provide some negative offset (like the Doepfer A183-2) running after the U-202 or it won't give you much range.

I'm guessing English Tear can generate offset itself and doesn't need the A183-2?

Yes Powder wrote:
Also, yes; it's definitely worth it to have an additional Metasonix VCO in addition to the S-2000. The S-2000's audio in is lowkey one of its best assets, because you can run an R55 or RK4 into it and have the S-2000's operators free to do waveshaping, frequency division, or filtering— all controlled by the ribbon.

I've been thinking the-other-way-around. That I'd feed the S-2000 to my eurorack and do most of the waveshaping/filtering there (I've already got R-52 filter and RK3-modulator). That way I'd save space from R-55 & RK4 and donẗ need to hassle with Hz/V conversion (if I've understood correctly).
EPTC
Great post, Yes Powder !

Neither wrote:
I've been thinking the-other-way-around. That I'd feed the S-2000 to my eurorack and do most of the waveshaping/filtering there

One thing to consider with this is you get a different sounding Operator 1 if you use it with an audio input or not. I've got my audio input set on a switch and notice different characteristics of the VCO when the input is switched on or off, even with no audio being inputted. And, as mentioned, the S2000 filter really is something special.

You can also try taking a feedback loop of a post-eurorack signal back into the S2000.

Wonderful machines, these things are.
Yes Powder
Neither wrote:

I'm guessing English Tear can generate offset itself and doesn't need the A183-2?

The English Tear only provides positive offset via knobs. You can get it to apply negative offset by inverting the signal, pacthing the converter's Out into the ET's other attenuverter channnel and then reinverting it; but if I'm using it for the R-55 I usually just use the 183-2 anyways. I find it much less fidgety to tune that way.
Neither
Thanks for the helpful and informative replies. EPTC, those sounds are insane:)
I'm not sure what to do but anyways I'll first get S-2000 and see where that leads me to.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1