MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Future Retro Transient +
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Future Retro Transient +
nectarios
https://www.facebook.com/FutureRetroSynthesizers/posts/169737898032715 8?hc_location=ufi

"Meet the new Transient(+), expected to start shipping in March.
Expanding on the ideas of the original Transient drum module, the new (+) model has received both hardware and software updates.

As you can see in these images, hardware changes include the new black and gold chassis and circuitry with updated artwork, micro SD card slot on the front panel, and elimination of the need for the +5v power buss.

Software changes include the ability to now load up to 600 RAW user samples (up to 16Mb of 16bit waveforms) from the micro SD card, and storage of up to 256 user Instruments on the micro SD card, with the ability for users to name these Instruments, back them up to computer, and the Transient will always recall and power up to the last Instrument selected.

There is a new Randomize Instrument feature, that allows new Random instruments to be generated at the touch of a button.

A new Sequential modulation source has been added to the Voice 1 and 2 sample selection modulation, allowing you to step through different waveforms or recreate sliced audio loops.

A new feature allows independent control of each voice's sample Pitch, covering a +1 to -5 octave range, as well as various Pitch modulation sources.

The filter cutoff frequency can now be modulated by either of the two internal modulation oscillators.

The display and menu system has also been improved.

The Transient(+) will ship with all the original Samples and Instruments found in the previous version. Additional sound packs including samples and instruments will be made available for purchase through our website.

MSRP for the Transient(+) is expected to be $249.

Current Transient owners will have the option to send their unit in and upgrade to the latest software features, for the price of $49, which will also include the micro SD memory card."

Very nice. Price is not bad either.
Southfork
Still unclear wether you can pay for the upgrade and get future retro to email the firmware so you can flash it yourself. Many of us in Europe and further afield would have to run the gauntlet of returns and customs.

I know it can’t be done over usb but how about people with programmers and experience of flashing mpu’s? Would deffo save a roundtrip.
Zymos
Already posted a few days ago in the existing Transient thread....

I doubt the upgrade can be done without sending it back to them, there are hardware differences as well, since the new ones can take a memory card.
Southfork
Zymos wrote:
Already posted a few days ago in the existing Transient thread....

I doubt the upgrade can be done without sending it back to them, there are hardware differences as well, since the new ones can take a memory card.

There is a USB and memory card slot a lot on the back of the transient mk1, so as far as hardware differences it looks like they just moved the sd card slot to the front, nothing in the spec looks like it has changed, same amount of knobs and jacks, layout is identical.

Would be nice to know what platform it is built on. I can see what looks like a programming header. Short of replacing the main boards on the transient mk1 they must be getring the firmware on it without de-soldering and re-attaching the mcu.
Southfork
Double post
Ras Thavas
Really liking the fact there's an upgrade path for earlier users, nice!
Hi5
Super glad about being able to update the original unlike most of these brands that come out with mk1 mk2 mk3 etc.. of the same module leaving you to just spend more.

I already love the Transient and the updates easily make it one of the most flexible drum modules.
GSE
Since the new version is running 12v, wonder if the output signal will be a little hotter. Everything else in my rack drowns out the Transient, a lot.
akavalve
Man, I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Really glad there is an upgrade path.
Zymos
GSE wrote:
Since the new version is running 12v, wonder if the output signal will be a little hotter. Everything else in my rack drowns out the Transient, a lot.

The old one used 12V too. I would be happy if the new one is louder though.

+5v Supply Current Draw: 74mA (typical)
+12v Supply Current Draw: 17mA (typical)
-12v Supply Current Draw: 17mA (typical)
franman69
Woo Hoo!!.. Love me some Transient!! Transient+ is just #winning.
NS4W
Zymos wrote:
GSE wrote:

The old one used 12V too. I would be happy if the new one is louder though.

+5v Supply Current Draw: 74mA (typical)
+12v Supply Current Draw: 17mA (typical)
-12v Supply Current Draw: 17mA (typical)

I asked FR about this, they responded that you should try adjusting the Dynamics setting to make it louder/less dynamic
kfraser
Future Retro is now selling the Plus and upgrade path.
http://www.future-retro.com/products.html

Going to send mi 1.0 in for upgrade tomorrow. It's peanut butter jelly time!
behndy
niiiiiice! i'm probably going to wait till after the first of the month (local synth modular electro jammy jam i want to perhaps make noise at first Sunday of the month), but SO cool of them to offer uogrades.
Koryo
Plonk, BIA...

In my opinion this is an epic eurorack module. It can be just as random as a Plonk and just as hyper schizo as a BIA. The elevating feature is that you get to shape it the way you wish. Tired of every sound dripping of physical modeling? Change it. Always sounds angry? Change it. Not only change it but save it. Find a crazy self patch? Save it.

It's a super flexible complete synth voice in 12hp at a price that makes it a, duh, why don't I have one of those?
matttech
Just got a pile of these bad boys in stock today if anyone's on the hunt?

SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
LANDMIME!
aside from the encoder, the knobs are the wrong size for the pot's shaft!
how hard is it to get this right?

Wow! how could anyone release something like this? EPIC FAIL.
it does seems quite nice aside from that interface.
LANDMIME!
that said, silver + gold look hideous together. So, are there some non-ill-fitting knobs that would work well here?
do they specify the shaft sizes? 6mm and 6.3mm? guessing.

I do like it it, but it looks like Egyptian Lover's waterbed.
LANDMIME!
GSE wrote:

no. that's not at all how that works-- I hope you aren't attempting building your own modules. hihi
matttech
LANDMIME! wrote:
aside from the encoder, the knobs are the wrong size for the pot's shaft!
how hard is it to get this right?

Wow! how could anyone release something like this? EPIC FAIL.
it does seems quite nice aside from that interface.

really? I hadn't noticed anything strange about the knobs/ pots

Just checked a stock unit and they seem solid to me. No wobble or anything, screwed in place with set screws seriously, i just don't get it
LANDMIME!
matttech wrote:

Just checked a stock unit and they seem solid to me. No wobble or anything, screwed in place with set screws seriously, i just don't get it

did you turn them? watch the knob's skirt cover the detents on the panel, it ain't circular.
..or ...Perhaps, they put the encoder knobs on all of my pots.
They are the wrong knobs for the pot's shaft diameter. d'oh!
Southfork
NO FAIL here confused knobs are solid, correct size and on inspection same as v1 ones.
cliffemu
I kind of see LANDMIME!’s point. I had I adjust one of my knobs that was scraping the panel at a certain point as it turned (something is lopsided). They aren’t a great knob choice compared to other popular eurorack manufacturers IMO. Love the module though. Got my upgrade back. The random patch function is very excellent!
JosefK
no complaints here on my transient. I'm not a knob snob but the ergonomics of the knobs work for me great. Jered did the upgrade for my OG transient and it's awesome!
Zymos
This module is anything but a "epic fail", but I have to say that I own 2 of the original version, and every single knob is a bit lopsided, you can indeed see it along the edge of the skirt as you turn them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3