MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sonic Universes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Sonic Universes
rishin
Hey all, new to modular here and in the process of starting my own system. Up until now, I've used software to experiment with making electro-acoustic music (the electro coming from software synths like Absynth and the acoustic coming from pianos, kalimbas, flutes, and anything I can thread together in Kontakt). What I hope to get out my system is something capable of generating a wide variety of "sonic universes" for my acoustic instruments to be a part of and journey through. I'd like the system to be capable of creating worlds, feelings, and images that natural phenomena like oceans, forests, desserts, galaxies, etc. similarly evoke. I love feelings of vastness and immersion and realize that being here, I'm likely not alone in this regard w00t.

So yeah, I'd love suggestions from people who strive for or have achieved similar feelings from their system. People who are on the opposite end of the sonic spectrum are also welcome for differing perspectives twisted. From research so far, here's what I've gathered to be foundational for what I want:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/589071

Thanks in advance!
Parnelli
One of the great motivators for me entering modular was to do soundscapes. I'm still pretty much learning, and the only module both have is Maths, which I use all the time to create long droning patches. Looks like you have some powerful modules there, should keep you busy for a while! I don't really feel qualified to comment much beyond that not knowing much about those other modules.
Gyroscope
I can't comment much either due to a lack of experience but I saw you had Morphagene. That's a great module for the goals you described in your post!
R.U.Nuts
You have a bunch of very deep and complex modules in that rack and very few utilities. I'd say pick one of those complex modules and Maths to start with and see where your cosmic journey will lead you to w00t
I'd take the Morphagene first because I started with a rack based around a phonogene a while back to process guitar and that little rack kept me happily busy for about two years.
rishin
R.U.Nuts wrote:
that little rack kept me happily busy for about two years.

That's both exciting and promising . Thanks for the advice!
BillyB909
I’d add a load of vcas - maybe a couple of quads - get rid of the planar, and add a decent noise source or two.
sasbom
Yeah, Good call on the vca's.

A disting or 2 couldn't hurt either.

I like it for discovering what you need, and having options if you think up something and you don't have the one thing to make it work.
captjrab
Youre goi;g to want more modulation. Try PEG or O&C for example.
No Clouds? Lol
hawkfuzz
More modulation, a lot more modulation. You'll want a filter and white noise for "oceans".

Honestly, what you describe is mostly achieved through composition and reverb. You could do what you describe with Maths, DPO, and Erbe-verb, but wavetables, samplers and time-based effects make it easier for sure.

I think the Tetrapad will be great for what you want since you'll have tangible control. Morphagene, Erbe-verb, Rings, and Rainmaker will be terrific for external processing. Make sure you get mults or stackables.
savethisrocketship
As others have said, seems a little light on utilities & modulation. I don't have a lot of experience with your specific selections, and I'm sure synthtech stuff can do LFO rate & there's probably lots of fun to be had, but at least for me I would get frustrated with not being able to do some basic stuff - particularly anything involving a VCA since there aren't any in there in the traditional sense - Rings technically has internal ones & im sure planar can be used as an approximation as such, and Maths, too, but then you've used up your modulation on VCA duties. Some dedicated mixing options might be nice, too.

Additionally - I've personally not had much issue connecting euro levels out to mixers, but getting line level signals up to euro levels has been pretty important, in my experience, with processing external stuff. You might want to look closer at ways to interface your acoustic instruments with the modular in ways that suit your needs. If you haven't already.

FWIW Frames was the first module that came to mind when I read your description. thumbs up
hawkfuzz
^THIS

Holy shit, this far and no one mentioned that. Most important.
rishin
savethisrocketship wrote:
As others have said, seems a little light on utilities & modulation. I don't have a lot of experience with your specific selections, and I'm sure synthtech stuff can do LFO rate & there's probably lots of fun to be had, but at least for me I would get frustrated with not being able to do some basic stuff - particularly anything involving a VCA since there aren't any in there in the traditional sense - Rings technically has internal ones & im sure planar can be used as an approximation as such, and Maths, too, but then you've used up your modulation on VCA duties. Some dedicated mixing options might be nice, too.

Additionally - I've personally not had much issue connecting euro levels out to mixers, but getting line level signals up to euro levels has been pretty important, in my experience, with processing external stuff. You might want to look closer at ways to interface your acoustic instruments with the modular in ways that suit your needs. If you haven't already.

FWIW Frames was the first module that came to mind when I read your description. thumbs up

Sorry I'm late with the reply, but this was extremely helpful so thank you This is fun!! And yes, I'm really not sure how I'm going to get signals from mics and such into my system so more research needs to be done there. I got the Make Noise 7U CV bus case which I think may help.
cptnal
If you want to know how Elon Musk launched his car into space I'll tell you - VCAs. thumbs up
R.U.Nuts
rishin wrote:
savethisrocketship wrote:

Sorry I'm late with the reply, but this was extremely helpful so thank you This is fun!! And yes, I'm really not sure how I'm going to get signals from mics and such into my system so more research needs to be done there. I got the Make Noise 7U CV bus case which I think may help.

The Maknoise CV bus has a preamp for line level signals but no mic preamp. I've got a line in module, too. What I do to boost guitar or mics is to hook them up to my mixing desk and use it's pre amps to boost them up to line level. Then I hook up the modular to a send channel of my mixer. This has a lot of advantages compared to hooking up external gear straight to the modular:
1. you can have a dry/wet mix of your input signals.
2. you can hook up as many external sources as you have channels on your mixer
3. of course you can route back the signals of your modular to the mixer and do dub mixing.
rishin
Ahh I see. I don't have a mixer so is there one you'd recommend getting? Also what exactly does "line level" mean? Are signals from a mic not strong enough to interact with a modular system? Sorry for noobish questions but gotta start somewhere I guess hmmm..... .
hawkfuzz
Correct. Do some internet searching to find the differences of line level and other standards. Not hard to understand but will help you not have any surprises.
Multi Grooves
Plonk
Natural Gate from Rabid Elephant
Euclidean generator...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1