MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Compressor modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Compressor modules
AW198
How many of you use compressor modules? If you do - do you mainly use them as a final output module to tame the signal, or for colouring your sound sources and as an effect?

I'm just wondering whether they're actually worth having or not, and whether any of you could convince me of their usefulness or lack thereof... seriously, i just don't get it
Tumulishroomaroom
I haven't used it but the MSCL by WMD seems to be really good. The videos demos on youtube are impressive.

I think I've seen one or more in the racks of Ebcidic, Ansome... etc.
modularblack
Just at the beginning of my journey (and thats why i dont have a compressor - yet) but i think most drum sounds especially kick drums sound very limp when uncompressed.

I like my kicks short and powerful and thats what you definitly need s compressor for.
chaosick
AW198 wrote:
How many of you use compressor modules? If you do - do you mainly use them as a final output module to tame the signal, or for colouring your sound sources and as an effect?

I'm just wondering whether they're actually worth having or not, and whether any of you could convince me of their usefulness or lack thereof... seriously, i just don't get it

I have been using the Intellijel Jellysquasher for a few months. I think it's pretty awesome, but I am selling mine now and plan to get a full on stereo compressor eventual. Nothing but good things to say about it, though. PM me if you're interested.
mt3
Hot Glue. So much good.
starthief
For dynamics I mostly use plugins, or post-processing in Sound Forge. But I recently got a Bastl Dynamo, and I like it quite a bit.

It generates a gain reduction CV that you can use with a VCA to patch a compressor... but you can use it to control anything, which works great with filters, wavefolders etc.

There's also a 2-in-1-out switch with a normalled inverter meant for "fake thru-zero" applications, but my switch triggers on the wrong voltage ranges and I've written to Bastl about fixing it, so I can't really comment on how useful that part is.
Hovercraft
As soon as I started putting my modular together, I noticed dynamics issues with resonant modules (like the SMR). I began using Mutable Streams as a stereo end of chain compressor, and that helped a lot. As soon as MSCL was released, it replaced Streams, and it's been indispensable. Usually, it's used for light compression or limiting as an end of chain processor. Occasionally, I crank it up and use it as more of an effect, or side chain it. I'd love to get a second to use as a mid-chain effect. It goes a long way towards outputting a polished, cohesive mix for performances or live recordings.
Tumulishroomaroom
Hovercraft wrote:
As soon as I started putting my modular together, I noticed dynamics issues with resonant modules (like the SMR). I began using Mutable Streams as a stereo end of chain compressor, and that helped a lot. As soon as MSCL was released, it replaced Streams, and it's been indispensable. Usually, it's used for light compression or limiting as an end of chain processor. Occasionally, I crank it up and use it as more of an effect, or side chain it. I'd love to get a second to use as a mid-chain effect. It goes a long way towards outputting a polished, cohesive mix for performances or live recordings.

Do you find it useful for non-drums sounds ?
I do most of my drums with a Digitakt and have a Heat to mesh the Modular and Digi together on the master bus (It use it do side chain as well but it's a bit fussy). Yet I was still wondering if a MSCL wouldn't be useful in my 6u. It really seems to sound good.
Hovercraft
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:

Do you find it useful for non-drums sounds ?
I do most of my drums with a Digitakt and have a Heat to mesh the Modular and Digi together on the master bus (It use it do side chain as well but it's a bit fussy). Yet I was still wondering if a MSCL wouldn't be useful in my 6u. It really seems to sound good.

I don't use drums that often, although I usually have some percussive elements in my patches. The Heat may accomplish some of what I use MSCL for, but I'd bet you'd find it useful. Sometimes there are quieter elements to patches that can't be individually gained up, and the MSCL is great for bringing those into the mix.
AW198
Hovercraft wrote:

I've heard a lot of good things about MSCL, and I've also had a few problems with resonance at times - with the hp, I think I'll have to get it, or maybe 2! This thread is definitely helping me realise I need some compression going on, since I like to not use software in my modular pieces.
witchbutter
I too am using MSCL and I had a Streams and a Mutant Hot Glue. MSCL has been the only one effective for me because I still think basically in software terms, that is if you want to bring out some features of quieter sounds you compress. Mutant Hot Glue only really worked for drums. I know you can do ducking with LPGs, but it seems like eurorack is missing an overall mix compression and definitely missing simpler limiters. I've seen a few videos advocation an outside compression box on your outputs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1