MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Complete Systems...(Mannequins, Mutable, etc)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Complete Systems...(Mannequins, Mutable, etc)
Crimesofthecrown
I was wondering if anyone here had a complete Mannequins set from Whimsical Wraps? Im curious because I'm making it my goal to put the complete setup (minus RIP because its not necessary) in my Elite 3U 104 along with some other goodies already in there.

Any thoughts on the system as whole? It seems like it can do a lot, including dark, heavy, and punishing sounds. Of course there aren't too many vids of it doing that, but with the 3 Sisters on the way I'm excited to crack that open and see what comes with the rest of my setup. I bet I can pull those sounds out of it.

Feel free to use this space to talk about any other complete systems from other companies that you may own or have played on. I always thought that having a 6u filled with nothing but Mutable Instruments would be incredible as well, but that is too expensive for the real poorness here.
mateo
I've been considering a complete Mannequins set, I haven't tried any of their modules yet but they do seem to form a cohesive whole: with the monome modules for sequencing doesn't look like you'd miss much.=!
wm.wragg
The core of the system used to make this album was Mannequins https://nathanmoody.bandcamp.com/album/tudes-i-blue-box There’s a Youtube video, which goes into some detail about the system

subdo
Checkout Nathan Moody's Blue Box album. It's not entire Mannequins but the problem there is that Mannequins don't really have any utilities except for Cold Mac and sometimes you're just going to want a straightforward VCA/mixer/mult or whatever.

https://nathanmoody.bandcamp.com/album/tudes-i-blue-box
Tumulishroomaroom
A Noise Engineering system would be very dope. Mine has a good chunk of it but certainly not a whole system.
wm.wragg
I like little focused systems, and I think Makenoise modues really work well for a small system. I’m currently building this one up:

Crimesofthecrown
subdo wrote:
Checkout Nathan Moody's Blue Box album. It's not entire Mannequins but the problem there is that Mannequins don't really have any utilities except for Cold Mac and sometimes you're just going to want a straightforward VCA/mixer/mult or whatever.

https://nathanmoody.bandcamp.com/album/tudes-i-blue-box

The Nathan Moody album doesn't show me much of what I'm looking for. I had a good chuckle when I read that one of his tags is "dark". hmmm.....

For a better idea of what Im looking for soundwise you can listen to my newest and first work mainly using my modular here: https://norentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/my-name-is-my-name-nrr62

As for the Cold Mac, that is what I prefer. Less straight forwardness is greatly welcomed. Plus I'll still have roughly about half my case to put any of that stuff in if I want to.

I'm one of those fools that like to use things "incorrectly"
Crimesofthecrown
wm.wragg wrote:
I like little focused systems, and I think Makenoise modues really work well for a small system. I’m currently building this one up:

This looks incredible for such a small case!

What all do you have so far and what kind of case are you using?
erstlaub
wm.wragg wrote:

The thing that kills *most* single systems for me is the gaps. Your MN rig does look ace but I'd definitely want a basic switch in there and probably a quantizer, neither of which they do.

It feels like everyone is missing one or two key elements from their line, be it 'boring' plumbing utilities, wacky control surfaces or sometimes just standard VCAs.

I'm about 80% Mutables in my main case I'd say but there's no way I'm giving up New Pam's or O+C in the name of concurrency.
REVIVER
Can't speak to an all-Mannequins system, but all-Mutable... hyper

"All" or "full" can be a lofty descriptor, though. MI doesn't have any final mixing stage solutions, DAW interfacing, minor utilities, etc. So filling in some of those blanks can be a necessary "evil" (i.e. Circuit Abbey Unify, AD ODIO, Disting). Otherwise, you have to either get really creative or deal with the sacrifices of having a singularly focused system.

Lately, as the Expert Sleepers stuff has started creeping into my case, I've started to approach my setup more pragmatically...so that may actually mean less MI stuff in case in the future. eek!

Right now, my system looks like this:

There's a fairly comprehensive thread that goes deeper into this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138444&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=877763ca5a4cfa4b10d1e79de5fbd694
REVIVER
erstlaub wrote:

I'm about 80% Mutables in my main case I'd say but there's no way I'm giving up New Pam's or O+C in the name of concurrency.

O&C sorta counts as an MI module, right? Like a third uncle or something, maybe?

hmmm.....

That's usually what I tell myself...
Crimesofthecrown
REVIVER wrote:

"All" or "full" can be a lofty descriptor

"Most" or "mostly" seems to be more proper in my situation and in general it seems.

Two clouds? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Really wonder what I could do with running one into the other.

TWO SPECTRAL MADNESSES RUNNING twisted
starthief
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
The Nathan Moody album doesn't show me much of what I'm looking for. I had a good chuckle when I read that one of his tags is "dark". hmmm.....

I would guess the "dark" tag comes from some of his previous work. The Etudes albums have been quite different.

Then again there are different kinds of "dark" I suppose. I've seen plenty of things described as "dark techno" that I wondered where the dark part was. My own music is definitely not consistently dark, though I go there sometimes.

Anyway, the "Blue Box" is probably as close to a canonical Mannequins system as you'll find, but it leans heavily on other manufacturers.

Make Noise of course has the Shared System and the associated album releases, but as pointed out, you give up a lot for that brand uniformity.

Several brands have fairly complete lines of modules -- Doepfer, Ladik, EMW, Intellijel, Sputnik, Verbos, Pittsburgh, probably some others. Industrial Music Electronics, Mutable Instruments and Noise Engineering are all probably pretty close.
REVIVER
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
REVIVER wrote:

"All" or "full" can be a lofty descriptor

"Most" or "mostly" seems to be more proper in my situation and in general it seems.

Two clouds? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Really wonder what I could do with running one into the other.

TWO SPECTRAL MADNESSES RUNNING twisted

Actually...not to start pimpin'.....but THREE Clouds are pretty sweet too.

woah

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/215751447" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

EDIT: vague patch notes... three Clouds used in series. If I remember correctly, it's Parasites Resonestor mode, into standard Clouds Granular mode, into Parasites Oliverb mode.
Crimesofthecrown
starthief wrote:
Then again there are different kinds of "dark" I suppose.

Indeed. My influences lean more towards Power Electronics and Industrial music but I like new, different approaches to it.

Iron Fist of the Sun is a huge influence on my work and my need to look beyond the "regular" sounds. Exploring sonics in a much more "clean" and aggressive manner.
grep
3 Clouds... dcramer would be proud!
hermbot
Again, not "all", but obviously all-ish Make Noise:

I just finished building it and I'm in love. It really feels like a cohesive instrument, which is what I was looking for. I think that's the biggest benefit of a single-maker system. You may not get the flexibility of a Pokemon case but you have a consistent feel, tone, and design philosophy that I really like.
esko997
Have been considering putting all my IME/Harvestman modules in a separate case at some point to do a small focused noise rig to see if I can explore them in a different way -- this thread is definitely encouraging; some very fun looking systems.
Markthom
I use a 12u travel case currently -

One 6U is "mostly" Mutable + Temps and O&C.

The other 6U is developing into a "mostly" R*S EuroSerge setup + some FX.
Crimesofthecrown
esko997 wrote:
Have been considering putting all my IME/Harvestman modules in a separate case at some point to do a small focused noise rig to see if I can explore them in a different way -- this thread is definitely encouraging; some very fun looking systems.

Its like being able to fully see (or at least attempt to gain an idea of) what companies had in mind when they were designing their modules.

Quote:

I have been extremely interested in a R*S EuroSerge setup for sure. Seems to be right up my alley soundwise.
Markthom
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
Quote:

I have been extremely interested in a R*S EuroSerge setup for sure. Seems to be right up my alley soundwise.

Yeah, whilst I wait on my NTO, I've been using the DUSG as a dual oscillator, it sounds BIG smile

robkramble
The only company I can see myself being happy with an exclusive system from would be Make Noise at the moment. Maybe Mutable Instruments... they're a close second. Noise Engineering is quickly moving up the ranks though!
Crimesofthecrown
Markthom wrote:
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, whilst I wait on my NTO, I've been using the DUSG as a dual oscillator, it sounds BIG smile

Thats what I'm talkin about! STEROID SOUNDS!

GOT-DAMN!
wm.wragg
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
wm.wragg wrote:

This looks incredible for such a small case!

What all do you have so far and what kind of case are you using?

I’ve got pressure points+brains, rosie, maths, STO and Moddemix. At the moment they are in a Makenoise skiff, but I’m planning on getting a Bastl Rumburack case http://noise.kitchen/shop/case/bastl-rumburak-case/ for them soon
Foghorn
Not that I am trying to build an all Make Noise system, but I really want one.
I just "pre-ordered" a Make Noise 7U steel CV bus case (same as MN Shared System).
I have been bugging them to sell me a 1U CV bus module for several years.

When I saw that this case was for sale, I took a look at the MN modules that I had, and they filled that case perfectly.

Why am I doing this?
I just think this system would be fun.

Silly me. I already am thinking about moving the PSU and 1U CV bus into a 2 X 126HP case to make a bigger "Shared system".
I already have 3 sets of rails, so why not.
I also have an MMF (multi mode filter) and Function looks really good next to Maths confused and I do want a Erbeverb hmmm..... and LXD doesn't fit very frustrating

Anyway, it will just be apart of my modular system.

Modgrid https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/592735

This one looks good too..
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/587915

Foghorn

Edit" corrected 120HP to 126HP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3