MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Glitch Drums Setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Glitch Drums Setup
Parhelic
I'm a beginner contemplating taking my first steps into the Eurorack world. I want to build a system focused on sample manipulation, specifically drum loops.

I'm a big fan of the Glitchmachines plugins such as Cataract https://youtu.be/Sw4s0U8jfBs
It enables me to import and mangle my own drum samples. I can slice and combine up to 4 loops to create new loops on the fly, culminating in generative, morphing rhythms.

Is there an equivalent in eurorack? Is the Make Noise Morphagene capable of this? Or is the Qbit Nebulae 2 a similar / better option?

For additional modules I'd like to incorporate probability (as well as human interaction), granular processing (to create glitch textures) and beat repeats.

In the software world, Unfiltered Audio's Sandman Pro - https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_sandman_p ro.html is great for this. Are there equivalent modules in Eurorack?

Kymatica's Sector is another favourite, capable of slicing, stutters and loop reassembly to create variations http://kymatica.com/Software/Sector. Is there an equivalent in Eurorack?

For some of these features this I was thinking Wogglebug. But would MATHS or TEMPI be worthy too? Any alternative recommendations?

I'm considering Pressure Points for manual control. Would I require a sequencer (perhaps Make Noise BRAINS)?

I'm undecided about sending the outputs to my DAW (Ableton Live) for effect processing (what would I need for this?), or investing in a Eurorack effects module. Are there any experimental effects modules that would complement this setup, similar to Reaktor's Molekular? https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/moleku lar/

I only want a small system (financial, portability and limited space requirements), maybe 3-5 maximum.

Thanks for your time!
mheumann
Any of the Make Noise stuff you mention here would be ideal for glitch work--as would Phonogene. You might look into one of the full Make Noise shared systems and watch some of the videos people have made playing around with those.
Antlerface
Sounds like you want a Morphagene. Maybe get a skiff and grab that, see how you get on with it, and decide what to add later.

kinda seems you want elements of both the smaller systems Make Noise offers, which would lead me to suggest a Shared System. Which someone else has already suggested!
mharpum
I just got a digitakt which is awesome for mashing up samples.

Euro wise I would get anything from Noise Engineering for sound sources, 2hp freez and plenty of modulation. Self oscillating filters also sound great for percussion.

For modulation you want envelopes, noise, random, and a sequential switch will really get you into glitch territory, the WMD SSM is the best for this.
cliffemu
Check out the new qubit nebulae2. I imagine it will do all this in one module. Just add cv.
brandonlogic
i really like the reflex liveloop for glitch effects, it really shines there. the nature of how Playfx works sounds really raw, not smooth like clouds or morphagene or nebulae. those modules to me sound like they use some processing or code to smooth out the grains, where the liveloops sounds like theres less of that going on and can get some great sharp glitch sounds happening.
nectarios
Clouds
cliffemu
brandonlogic
Did you see the nebulae2 videos from NAMM with the drum loops? Can liveloop do all of this easily? The UI seems really frustrating. I’m thinking like venetian snares sounding kind of drumloop glitches. Pitch changes without speed changes? Sync to clock even while glitching?
Jefro
Basimilus Iteritas Alter from Noise Engineering. Not sample based, but goddamn, it's good for this type of thing.
Armstrb
nectarios wrote:
Clouds

Specifically with the Kammerl firmware.
brandonlogic
cliffemu wrote:
brandonlogic
Did you see the nebulae2 videos from NAMM with the drum loops? Can liveloop do all of this easily? The UI seems really frustrating. I’m thinking like venetian snares sounding kind of drumloop glitches. Pitch changes without speed changes? Sync to clock even while glitching?

it cant do exactly what nebulae2, but it has features that nebulae2 cant do.
different work flows. not sure about pitch changes without speed changes on the reflex, nebulae2 might be better for that in particular.

there is also the er301, that can defiantly do pitch changes without speed changes or speed changes without pitch changes with its "granual stretch" unit, and it sounds very good!!
brandonlogic
heres a demo where im actually demonstrating this on the er 301 with drums!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcUzAduFD5o/

btw that Sector app looks really cool! going to have to check that out!
nectarios
Armstrb wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Clouds

Specifically with the Kammerl firmware.

You knows it

GSE
I like the idea behind the software dBlue Glitch. Audio is passed off to various processors in either a controlled or random fashion. A sequential switch in modular can do this with audio paths. One of the audio lines could be a delay, another a granular Clouds path, another distortion, Ginko Sampleslicer, etc. Switching triggers would need to be mult-ed so they can be used in timing Clouds triggering, Sampleslicer, and delay times. Only limitation w/ a sequential switch is, well, re-ordering the audio lines so they are not predictable. And perhaps going beyond 4 audio/fx lines.
Jefro
^^ you could use something like 2HP Route, instead of a sequential switch, along with a clocked random source.

...also: post number 100! w00t
brandonlogic
GSE wrote:
I like the idea behind the software dBlue Glitch. Audio is passed off to various processors in either a controlled or random fashion. A sequential switch in modular can do this with audio paths. One of the audio lines could be a delay, another a granular Clouds path, another distortion, Ginko Sampleslicer, etc. Switching triggers would need to be mult-ed so they can be used in timing Clouds triggering, Sampleslicer, and delay times. Only limitation w/ a sequential switch is, well, re-ordering the audio lines so they are not predictable. And perhaps going beyond 4 audio/fx lines.

you could do this all within the er301. someone made an internal sequential switch (or could cv addressable with random), theres also internal randomness (in sample and hold +noise) and you could have the audio go into different delays, reverbs, and granualr processors in a single channel.

the 301 is like a sand box, some limitations of course, but you can build almost anything you can imagine within reason.
nectarios
brandonlogic wrote:
GSE wrote:

you could do this all within the er301. someone made an internal sequential switch (or could cv addressable with random), theres also internal randomness (in sample and hold +noise) and you could have the audio go into different delays, reverbs, and granualr processors in a single channel.

the 301 is like a sand box, some limitations of course, but you can build almost anything you can imagine within reason.

Are there any clips of some ER-301 glitches on drums? I haven't followed the development of the module for months, other than reading new things that are available with it and skipping quickly to avoid uncontrolable GAS and start selling stuff to fund the asking price MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Summa
nectarios wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
GSE wrote:

Are there any clips of some ER-301 glitches on drums? I haven't followed the development of the module for months, other than reading new things that are available with it and skipping quickly to avoid uncontrolable GAS and start selling stuff to fund the asking price MY ASS IS BLEEDING

seriously it's like a computer in modular form so there's really very little limitations of what you can do with it.. glitchy drums why not?
Summa
btw check out Mudloggers (Jason Taylor) posts on social media and you shall see a lot of examples where the 301 is used in various ways
tibbon
Tried to flip through the Glitchmachines video, but as far as I could hear it was just him talking the entire time, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

An ER-301, Clouds, Varigate 8+ and a 2hp Freez are my keys to doing this plus a bunch of drum modules). That plus a lot of gate/trigger altering devices.
nectarios
Summa wrote:
nectarios wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
GSE wrote:

seriously it's like a computer in modular form so there's really very little limitations of what you can do with it.. glitchy drums why not?

I understand what you mean and I agree. Although its the software running on a computer that makes it what it is, so just wondering what the software is like on the ER-301, these days.
bobdylan
+1 for the Reflex Liveloop, very fun, super mangly glitch and granular sample manipulation. Can be used in a very rhythmic fashion as well for tight drum stuffs. Definitely not as smooth sounding as the Morphagene but can do a lot of the same stuff at half the price! And some would consider the sharpness a plus! I certainly do!

Also the 2hp Freez is a great for it's size. Very glitch very fun very small h e l l y e a h cool
brandonlogic
bobdylan wrote:
+1 for the Reflex Liveloop, very fun, super mangly glitch and granular sample manipulation. Can be used in a very rhythmic fashion as well for tight drum stuffs. Definitely not as smooth sounding as the Morphagene but can do a lot of the same stuff at half the price! And some would consider the sharpness a plus! I certainly do!

the fact that it's not smooth, and the character of playfx is actually why its great and unique, and why its still in my rack, specially for glitch sounds!
brandonlogic
nectarios wrote:

im sure there's some around if you search enough.
the instagram link i posted in this thread just before the post with clouds demos shows the stretch unit on drums, in a very simple, direct way.

but the ways you could glitch out drums on the er301 are many, and only limited by your imagination (and maybe the cpu).

the 301 is not an easy module to demo its ability because its abilities/possibilities are almost infinite.

it gives you the paint and the brushes and a blank canvas.. you create the effects you have in mind and how you want them to sound/act.
Parhelic
brandonlogic wrote:
heres a demo where im actually demonstrating this on the er 301 with drums!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcUzAduFD5o/

btw that Sector app looks really cool! going to have to check that out!

Nice video, thanks!

And yes, Sector is brilliant. One of the best apps available. I just wish it processed live audio too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2