MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Convolution reverb with MIDI control over IR type?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Convolution reverb with MIDI control over IR type?
Daisuk
I've spent a couple of hours now trying to find a convolution reverb plugin that allows me to:

- import my own impulse responses (IR)
- give me MIDI control (midi CC) over changing the IR

Does anyone know of a plugin that can do this? I've looked at a bunch of them, but none of the ones I've found either does it, or it's not stated that you get MIDI control over IR response. I know most plugins will allow me to import my own IR's. The really key thing I'm looking for is MIDI control over IR.

Anyone know? smile
maaaks
I'm doing some messing about with convolution reverbs at the moment and the most flexible approach I've found is to cook something up with Supercollider. The convolution2L class will even do linear crossfading between impulses for you (!) However, its' up to you to:

a) make this work with stereo samples (All the convolution UGens are mono)
b) give it some kind of interface

Hooking it up to trigger an IR change on midi input would be pretty straight forward.

I just patch things in and out with Jack, and make horrible QT GUIs hihi

(I'm sure Max/MSP or PD would work too, I'm just much more familiar with supercollider)
Tristana
Daisuk wrote:
I've spent a couple of hours now trying to find a convolution reverb plugin that allows me to:

- import my own impulse responses (IR)
- give me MIDI control (midi CC) over changing the IR

Does anyone know of a plugin that can do this? I've looked at a bunch of them, but none of the ones I've found either does it, or it's not stated that you get MIDI control over IR response. I know most plugins will allow me to import my own IR's. The really key thing I'm looking for is MIDI control over IR.

Anyone know? smile

Don't know what DAW you're using (if any) but in Ableton, you could set up a group rack with a chain for each IR with a Max Convolution (or other plug-in of choice). Then just set up a macro knobs to crossfade between each chain. A bit more resource hungry than being able to just crossfade IRs directly, but it accomplishes the same.

As for a commercial all in one plug-in, the only peeps I know doing this at the moment is Spitfire with BT's Phobos- but you can't load your own IRs. Fundamentally the 'polyconvolution' just seems to be crossfading, though.

Lastly... I might have some time to fux around in JUCE and can see what I come up with ;D
Daisuk
Hey, thanks for the suggestions, guys! I know fuck all about coding, so Supercollider is out of the question for me, I'm afraid. I have a bunch of impulses I want to be able to jump between (like 60 or so), so setting them up in a chain in Ableton Live (which is the DAW I use) would probably be way too RAM hungry.

Please do fuck around in Juce, though, Tristana! I'd love to hear what you can come up with! Mr. Green we're not worthy
subbasshead
LiquidSonics Reverberate plug does some interesting things with IRs
eg modulating between two IRs

https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-2/
Navs
In Logic you can toggle back and forth between Space Designer presets using a key command, so I imagine it might be possible via MIDI too. But doing it this way obviously interrupts any running processing as the next preset is loaded.
catchpenny
The fusion-IR approach taken in reverberate 2 is quite interesting. I've been building something similar in max. Could anyone explain to me what an all-pass interpolator chorus is?
Tristana
catchpenny wrote:
Could anyone explain to me what an all-pass interpolator chorus is?

Technical:
When digitally pitching a sound down and up (as needed for a chorus), you either discard or add samples to do so. The result then needs to be brought back to the output device's sample rate to sound properly, though.

You do this by interpolating the samples (connecting the dots, so to speak) and resampling. Usually audio interpolation is done either with lowpass filtering, as it's simple to implement and can concurrently serve as an anti-aliasing filter, or linear interpolation as it's quick and dirty (not processor intensive).

Allpass interpolation instead works by delaying a signal. This creates less frequency spectrum distortion- no gross aliasing from linear interpolation, or high-frequency muffling from lowpass (or linear). Phase is also kept consistently shifted across the spectrum at the cost of latency.

Audio:
They're probably referring to choruses like the one in this guy.
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dattorro/DP4.htm
More generically, a very clean, digital chorus!
catchpenny
Thanks for the excellent explanation - appreciated.
Hidden_Path
Check out Melda Convolution (I think you can demo it)... They have various assignable control over most parameters.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1