MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SMT Mindreader (Pitch to CV) Build thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author SMT Mindreader (Pitch to CV) Build thread
E.A.S.
This is the Build thread for the SMT MINDREADER v0.2.
Post here with questions!
I'll keep this top post updated with any major changes. This is fun!

Thanks!!
-Mike

Build Document attached.

B.O.M. Added.

PCB Order thread [link].

Purveyor2
Wow - that sets the standard for build guides. Guinness ftw!
controlFreak
Any leads on where to find that 200kC quad pot?
E.A.S.
B.O.M. added to first post.

-M
flab
Oooft, that is the most detailed build doc I have seen, thank very much for the effort
flab
For the quad pot, here is the only one I found easily accessible, https://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PTD904-2015P-C204/?qs=Qzws7 J6gxqx7UBuF9V19Eg%3d%3d though this one is an bourns and not an alpha, but I guess, if they do not have the same leg arrangement we can hard wire some Wires from legs to pcb
E.A.S.
flab wrote:
For the quad pot, here is the only one I found easily accessible, https://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PTD904-2015P-C204/?qs=Qzws7 J6gxqx7UBuF9V19Eg%3d%3d though this one is an bourns and not an alpha, but I guess, if they do not have the same leg arrangement we can hard wire some Wires from legs to pcb

This is the part the board is designed for. thumbs up

I have a BOM with links to the parts I ordered, but I didnt post that one because a couple links might be wrong. Most of the parts I got from mouser.
For the trim pots, you'll want to use the '66W' type, they are smaller than the ones pictured in the build manual. I can post the file with the links Iused (w/ no guaranty they are all right), in the case someone wants it. I actually believe its mostly correct but would hate for that error to mess up someone's build.

-M
E.A.S.
All Resistor /Cap sizes (i.e 0603) are in inches not mm!
flab
I think sharing the mouser cart will be helpful, I can review it and update it if needed
Purveyor2
Mouser’s on backorder for the BSS316N H6327. Alternatives?
flab
https://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Diodes-Incorporated/DMN65D8L-7?qs= sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi4P4wC6csLMYnx0ax1m7270%3d how about this one?
Purveyor2
Guinness ftw!
Purveyor2
R42
Build guide highlights location that seems to be marked R39 on PCB. Do I trust the guide or the PCB?

Edit: same thing with R38 and C14
E.A.S.
Purveyor2 wrote:
R42
Build guide highlights location that seems to be marked R39 on PCB. Do I trust the guide or the PCB?

Trust the build guide.

There is a couple of parts designation numbers that couldn't fit, were ambiguous as to which part they were labeling, and when moving the silkscreen around, those designation numbers were swapped.

-M
controlFreak
Purveyor2 wrote:
Mouser’s on backorder for the BSS316N H6327. Alternatives?

Both mosfets are backordered till 2019 :(

Surely there is a suitable replacement available, we just need to know what specs to search for.

Also, is there a schematic available? I tried tracing the board but vias lead to nowhere suggest that it is a 4 layer PCB.

I just don't get why people don't provide schematics for electronic projects. sad banana
controlFreak
flab wrote:
https://gr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Diodes-Incorporated/DMN65D8L-7?qs= sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi4P4wC6csLMYnx0ax1m7270%3d how about this one?

Just doing a quick comparison, it looks like this one has lower power dissipation ratings- 370 mW VS the 500 mW of the BSS314. It also has higher drain-source resistance 2ohms vs 107 micro ohms. Continuous drain current of 310mA vs. 1.5A on the BSS314.

The MOSFETs in this circuit are used in the power supply so I think we need to look for similar power handling characteristics.

This is what I found but disclaimer I'm only a good hack:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/BSS315PH632 7XT?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi4XpehW3hEsh74ZveI%2fDVQE%3d
controlFreak
Alternatively we just can jumper over the mosfets and do away with the polarity protection circuit... I think/assume that is what they are doing there with the SMT indicator LEDs.

Just use a Key'ed header if you are worried about reversing your power.

Follow the traces from the fuses and jumper from the connected mosfet pads to the traces leading to c11 and c17 for +12 and -12 respectively.
Purveyor2
E.A.S. wrote:
Purveyor2 wrote:
R42

Trust the build guide.

There is a couple of parts designation numbers that couldn't fit, were ambiguous as to which part they were labeling, and when moving the silkscreen around, those designation numbers were swapped.

-M

OK. In the case of R38 the build guide highlights same pads for R38 and C14. One of them goes on the highlited pad, the other must go above...
controlFreak
I don't think you want a 15K resistor between VCC and ground, highlighted pad must be for C14, R38 goes above.
Purveyor2
Gracias. Still just a solder monkey, slowly learning how things work.
controlFreak
Polarity orientation of the Dual 3904???

Edit: ERR how about orientation of all the ICs???

Orientation is not defined on the PCB or build doc. c'mon man.
Purveyor2
The IC outline on PCB have a longer line on one pole. I used that but have not finished and given it power yet so can’t confirm.
E.A.S.
controlFreak wrote:
Polarity orientation of the Dual 3904???

Edit: ERR how about orientation of all the ICs???

Orientation is not defined on the PCB or build doc. c'mon man.

All of the ICs have a longer line on the silk screen extending to pin 1. All ICs top left pin is pin 1, with the exception of "U2", the rotated IC. Its pin of course is the bottom left pin.

-M
E.A.S.
Purveyor2 wrote:
The IC outline on PCB have a longer line on one pole. I used that but have not finished and given it power yet so can’t confirm.

This is correct.
-M
goldenhours
flab wrote:

controlFreak wrote:
Just doing a quick comparison, it looks like this one has lower power dissipation ratings- 370 mW VS the 500 mW of the BSS314. It also has higher drain-source resistance 2ohms vs 107 micro ohms. Continuous drain current of 310mA vs. 1.5A on the BSS314.

The MOSFETs in this circuit are used in the power supply so I think we need to look for similar power handling characteristics.

This is what I found but disclaimer I'm only a good hack:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/BSS315PH632 7XT?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWi4XpehW3hEsh74ZveI%2fDVQE%3d

Can anyone confirm that either of these two devices work as a replacement for the BSS314?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2