MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Sequencer - Techno Leads
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Eurorack Sequencer - Techno Leads
Steverido
Hi Guys,

I am just getting into Modular and was wondering what you would recommned as a sequencer (Eurorack) for making interesting Techno leads. Or Percussive Techno stuff for that matter.

I have just got the Abstract Data Octocontroller too.
lasesentaysiete
turing machine is fast & fun for that thumbs up
Tumulishroomaroom
I'm using a Voltage Block. It's not incredible if you want to write a full fledged long melody but works perfectly for short leads (which you can tweak as well with the in regards of steps number, sequence direction and arp). It's of course incredible for modulation.

For more percussive stuff I really like to trigger enveloppes (say a Quadra) with a Numeric Repetitor and/or a Knights Gallop (which is way more hands on). You can quickly get great rhythmic techno patterns without melodies with this when you use the enveloppe to modulate parameters around your modular (oscillators timbre, filter cutoff etc...)
Steverido
lasesentaysiete wrote:
turing machine is fast & fun for that thumbs up

Is that the Music Thing Modular? There is a version 1 & 2.
Tumulishroomaroom
That's the one. You'll also need a quantizer if you go with this as it does not output quantized cv. Mk2 is the most recent one. There's also the Mimetic Sequent by Noise Engineering that is very interesting and close to the principles of the Turing machine.
Steverido
Has anyone got experience of the Kilpatrick K-4815 sequencer?
mattsb
2HP TM + uScale are my go to in the vein of what has been discussed so far.

But I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Metropolis yet.
euromorcego
mattsb wrote:

ok, i'll do: metropolis, definitely, instant techno leads. Very intuitive, just move the sliders until you like what you hear. And with the newer software it got even better (memory, ratchets).
Abston
Orthogonal devices ER 101 (Approx 600$) or Winter Modular Eloquencer are awesome for writing long and complex melodies.
If you want something more affordable and simple, would recommand the Make Noise René coupled with a Pressure Points in order to control and making your melodies evolve.
Jaypee
I'd say Metropolis. Simple and fun!

But yeah an ER 101 is another level.
Steverido
euromorcego wrote:
mattsb wrote:

ok, i'll do: metropolis, definitely, instant techno leads. Very intuitive, just move the sliders until you like what you hear. And with the newer software it got even better (memory, ratchets).

I am looking at this one although it is quite expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

I like the Metropolis layout and it looks relatively easy to use. I really want something that does not require loads of menu diving.

After all, it is suppossed to be fun. smile
Steverido
Jaypee wrote:
I'd say Metropolis. Simple and fun!

But yeah an ER 101 is another level.

Looks too complicated for me. Perhaps when I have got over the learning curve.
Steverido
euromorcego wrote:
mattsb wrote:

This is my favourite so far. Thanks.
strawberry
metropolis +1
calvinsomething
The Varigate 8+ and 4+ can both do up to 2 tracks of CV/gate sequencing.

If you don't have something for gate sequencing at the moment the 8+ may be a good option to fill both roles.
Steverido
calvinsomething wrote:
The Varigate 8+ and 4+ can both do up to 2 tracks of CV/gate sequencing.

If you don't have something for gate sequencing at the moment the 8+ may be a good option to fill both roles.

Thanks, I will check them out.
Steverido
Does anyone have a comparison between Metropolis & Kilpatrick K-4815?

Metropolis looks easier to use and probably most fun.

Kilpatrick have Carbon which is a replacement for K-4815, but is very very expensive.
Benoua
It s not out yet but i had the opportunity to test the hermod from squarp instrument and it might please you.
Steverido
Benoua wrote:
It s not out yet but i had the opportunity to test the hermod from squarp instrument and it might please you.

That looks quite interesting but not available until end of Feb.

11 YouTube Videos too.

I will look a bit more but Metropolis is winning so far.
metalbox
Get Metropolis for techno! The K4815 is better for Ambient type stuff
euromorcego
Steverido wrote:
I really want something that does not require loads of menu diving.

it should be said though that the metropolis has some menu diving. At least if you need to adjust some settings (like clock settings and how the reset is handled. And since it only has a led display the abbreviation look a bit cryptic).

However, you do not need the menu to just play it. Then it is incredibly straightforward. Biggest drawback: a lot of hp and money for a single cv/gate output. There are now things like the Eloquencer which have up to 8 channels and similar features (but are all somewhat less intuitive).

Another interesting choice is actually Rene. It is deep but it is actually not really neccesary to fully understand what it does. Rene is surprisingly good at acid lines (there are a few youtube videos) ... more happy accident territory than deliberate programming.
Steverido
euromorcego wrote:
Steverido wrote:
I really want something that does not require loads of menu diving.

it should be said though that the metropolis has some menu diving. At least if you need to adjust some settings (like clock settings and how the reset is handled. And since it only has a led display the abbreviation look a bit cryptic).

However, you do not need the menu to just play it. Then it is incredibly straightforward. Biggest drawback: a lot of hp and money for a single cv/gate output. There are now things like the Eloquencer which have up to 8 channels and similar features (but are all somewhat less intuitive).

Another interesting choice is actually Rene. It is deep but it is actually not really neccesary to fully understand what it does. Rene is surprisingly good at acid lines (there are a few youtube videos) ... more happy accident territory than deliberate programming.

I don't mind the bit of menu diving to change settings. It is when you need to do that to make music that I shy away. I might as well use a VST. smile

Never been a fan of Rene.
Steverido
metalbox wrote:
Get Metropolis for techno! The K4815 is better for Ambient type stuff

Thanks for the tip. That is useful to know.

I just missed a Metropolis on Ebay for £380.00 :(
Futuresound
I bought a Metropolis to make techno sequences. Made some great techno sequences.

Sold it because it was 'too melodic'. hmmm.....

Am now going to buy a Metropolis to make techno sequences.
+1 for the turing machine. techno lines for days. i have a version 1 and it has become indispensable to my workflow. i don't even have a quantizer, doing just fine without one. slightly detuned notes here and there are a bonus for techno anyway, right? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3