MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why are so many selling Clouds?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Why are so many selling Clouds?
rikardjh
A few months ago I started to see these all over reverb.com and FS here. Just curious why people are selling them off.

Are people getting the uCloud instead? Or is there some new MI module I've missed on the horizon?
MarcelP
rikardjh wrote:
A few months ago I started to see these all over reverb.com and FS here. Just curious why people are selling them off.

Are people getting the uCloud instead? Or is there some new MI module I've missed on the horizon?

Turns out it was a passing fad - the fidget spinner of Eurorack.

Apparently there is a new Cloud on the horizon but it isn't Clouds MkII - its something else....It is set to be the Rubik's Cube of Eurorack. Or something.

In the meantime I might avail myself of a third Clouds...
memes_33
i sold mine recently for a uclouds. i suspect others are doing the same. also, lots of DIY ones popping up for sale it seems.
rikardjh
Ha! Wish the prices dropped along with the increased supply.. I might have gotten a second and a third one too.

Looking forward to the Rubik's Cube of eurorack, maybe we'll finally have speed-patching as a competitive sport.
Dcramer
Sorry meh it’s my fault really.

I’ve convinced everyone to sell their Clouds modules so I could finally complete the construction of my soon to open:

“Cloud University of Modular Cloudism”
This is fun! This is fun! This is fun!

Yeah, sure, I have more than enough Clouds modules for the students workstations,
but as I’m having the whole campus built
entirely out of Clouds of modules,
I must have more... twisted

lol lol lol

(Don’t laugh, trump got away with it)
Pighood
My Clouds gets buried with me. fap fap fap...
chaosick
rikardjh wrote:

Seems to also be the case for Braids, Mother 32s, and other things. A couple hypotheses for why this happens in the general:

1) Module is attractive but ultimately not deep enough for a long term user.
2) Module is especially attractive to beginners; most beginners of anything don't stick with it in the long term, therefore they sell it, along with their other modules, but more beginners bought this module.
starthief
I think that, given the enormous piles of Clouds that people have bought, there aren't really an unusual number of them for sale. Maybe more now than there once were, due to uClouds and its being discontinued for an eventual replacement.
Multi Grooves
Never owned one...
rafe127
All the exciting new NAMM stuff?
lobra
so many pirates selling there clouds for $500 too confused hihi
mskala
starthief wrote:
I think that, given the enormous piles of Clouds that people have bought, there aren't really an unusual number of them for sale..

I agree - lots of people are selling these modules just because very many bought them in the first place.
ignatius
it's a rad module. i only sold mine because i knew i could sell it fast (because it's rad) and needed to scare up cash because my chimney is in need of repairs.
technicoloraudio
lobra wrote:
so many pirates selling there clouds for $500 too confused hihi

This is the thing I don't understand, they might be discontinued, but they aren't rare or scarce. I figured out some months ago that one of the challenges I was forcing on myself was trouble with the modular interface and found the Mutable stuff to work really well for me. I was on my way to Clouds a few weeks ago when the prices started to double.
Luckily a nice person sold me one at a reasonable price...
technicoloraudio
Also, "Plonk in Clouds" doesn't have the same ring to it...

GET IT?!?!?!?! "RING" TO IT?!!?!?!??!?!?!??!

Dead Banana
cackland
Makes sense to go for the 8 hp version over the original!
duck1887
chaosick wrote:
rikardjh wrote:

Seems to also be the case for Braids, Mother 32s, and other things.

I'm waiting for a uMother32 myself. Rockin' Banana!
suboptimal
Every module that approaches the eye of the hype storm ends up flying out of the storm in enormous volume a short time later.

The storm has gotten bigger over the years, but that's mostly to make room for all the MATHS still trapped in the eye.

(It's clear from discussions over the last couple years that many people like aspects of what Clouds does but they find some aspect of it impedes their creative use of it. The UI throws many people off in this regard. Others love it and have no trouble mastering it. Everyone gets to choose their own tools...)
thetwlo
well, when it's suddenly worth more than you paid for it, it's going to be worth selling for many, even though you may still like it, it might not be worth $XXX to you:

mskala
duck1887 wrote:
I'm waiting for a uMother32 myself. :bananaguitar:

Would that be a Mother8?
dumbledog
ignatius wrote:
it's a rad module. i only sold mine because i knew i could sell it fast (because it's rad) and needed to scare up cash because my chimney is in need of repairs.

So your Clouds went up in smoke?
thetwlo
cackland wrote:

why? just space? I find a rarely use modules with those pots without knobs. This module easily warrants the space it occupies. I don't love it, I'd happily sell it for $500+ no brainer, perhaps even less but I definitely would want a knobless version to save space.
cackland
thetwlo wrote:
cackland wrote:

why? just space? I find a rarely use modules with those pots without knobs. This module easily warrants the space it occupies. I don't love it, I'd happily sell it for $500+ no brainer, perhaps even less but I definitely would want a knobless version to save space.

Yes, purely space in my books.
nectarios
starthief wrote:
I think that, given the enormous piles of Clouds that people have bought, there aren't really an unusual number of them for sale. Maybe more now than there once were, due to uClouds and its being discontinued for an eventual replacement.

This. Although I am keeping Clouds and waiting for a uClouds and also looking forward to Olivier's next granular module, that apparently is not going to be "Clouds 2", but I suspect its going to be gold anyway.
pieter
I think the demand is still there, but the shops don't sell them anymore. So the activity has moved to the second hand market, and as thetwlo says there may be a lot of people who are willing to sell if the module goes for $600.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5