MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

You, your work and your modular........
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author You, your work and your modular........
Soy Sos
My last post got me to thinking and I wanted to pose the following questions to those who work in the "audio/music industry"

1. What do you do professionally?

2. How does your modular figure in to your "paying" work?

I work just about every day in my own studio, Tuff Sound Recording which is on the first floor of my house in Pittsburgh PA USA. I end up doing a bit of everything including radio commercials, Hip Hop and Reggae client work, a few Rock and Pop projects, sound design, remixing, Spanish language podcasts, ect... I also do a few DJ gigs a month plus location sound for documentary or commercial clients.
My modular ends up being used mainly in my sound design work. I just finished work on the audio for a short film for the city's 250th anniversary celebration. The soundscape stuff for these abstract sections in the piece is mostly from the modular system. It also gets used a lot in title sequences with words and logos flying around the screen. For most quickie session stuff folks are not interested in geeking out and finding the ultimate filter effect from the Harvestman Polivoks. Of course on my personal projects and collaborations I can tweek away to my heart's content!

How about you?
timmah
1. network admin

2. it funds all my purchases of synth gear smile
chinard
timmah wrote:
1. network admin

ironic in the fact that i spend all day patching network cables in the datacentre just to come home to my modular.... and do more patching Trampoline
criticalmonkey
i work in audio full time - video games music/sound effects
modular is my creative escape/indulgence - not required for my job but definitely makes it more fun when I have the time for it

and while i have all the hi end equipment I need at work -
working pays for my personal modular and studio too - my whole studio is essentially a modular though far from traditional analog model
D/A A/D
I run a record label and make music as well as a freelance photographer

I haven't found a use for the modular with regards to the label, but it gets put through its paces in my music...

Alex
Babaluma
have a full time job and a family already, so am just a hobbysist really. i would like to find a way to make money out of music though, but am then worried i wouldn't have enough time, and wouldn't like it so much!
Luka
sorry i aint working in audio industry apart from running warehouse parties and dj'ing - though im a qualified sound tech (apparently hehe)

i am in my final week of uni to become a geo-scientist focusing on satellite and aerial photography / sensor based imagery.

I am building my studio to get the hell away from my computer. I even considered getting a 8track reel to reel for all my recording. smile Tho in reality i cant afford a good enough quality r2r on a student wage with record and modular DIY addiction. all in good time tho
JohnLRice
chinard wrote:
timmah wrote:
1. network admin

ironic in the fact that i spend all day patching network cables in the datacentre just to come home to my modular.... and do more patching Trampoline

I'm pretty much like you's guys! I'm a senior programmer for a large county assessor's office. I put pretty much all my spare cash into music gear.

But someday . . . someday I tell ya . . . my main income will be through music .. or photography . . .or inventions . . . maybe street begging? help

John L Rice
apemandan
I've worked in recording studios full time since I was about 19 years old (I'm now 33)..

I now call myself a 'Producer' as well as engineer! I mainly work with other peoples music. I bought my modular for work but it has become my obsessive 'hobby' also! I use the modular both to process sound and as an instrument...
MrDys
1. Librarian (more specifically, I write software that runs libraries).

2. It doesn't. Frankly, I don't want it to, either. I find that too many of my worlds collide and all of a sudden everything becomes work.
Muff Wiggler
well, I shouldn't answer as the question isn't for me - I don't work in the audio industry at all

but since others in a similar position have answered, I'll toss my hat into the ring.

1) I manage all training initiatives for a world-wide physical security company, we are the biggest one out there in terms of access control applications. Although it doesn't fit with my persona, attitude, or the way I see myself, the truth is I make my living by being one of those executive guys in a suit. We all put some kind of costume on when we go to work, don't we?

2) Not in the least. My modular is a wonderful decompression (actually pretty much the only one I have other than this forum) from a very very busy life of doing corporate things and raising children.
wetterberg
I'm a sound designer, programmer and audio/visual systems setter-upper. I write manuals/do testing for audio software and hardware, I teach, I juggle on unicycles, I gig a bit, and I'm a loafer - which is ironic because I work 70hrs/week, lol.

My modular is definitely an indulgence, even though it fits in with my line of work perfectly; I tend to leave it out of that sphere of work, perhaps so as to not sully its virtue (or something)

The modular definitely isn't "mature" yet, so we still have some growing up to do, but it's being constructed in such a way that it will fit in with my work - a large amount of midi->cv/gate/trig, portable case, lots of audio preamp stuff.
amnesia
I have a musical family so got into music real early.

Worked in a record store for 2 years and hated it, too much narrow minded music fans,but you really have to blame the big record labels and radio tv etc.

Got a record deal or 4 for the next 12 years had a studio with 2 others, ran a club for 2 years, toured etc
My music got more abstract over time so money wasnt always there....

got fed up with music left town and didnt touch any music equipment for 7 years, only last year started getting interested again, and have 30 cds of stuff that may slowly filter out into the world again, next release on Snapped In Hal,f Hi DAAD :-) Synthi improv....
also started VICMOD in Melbourne Australia..

would really love to get into sound design but no idea where to start, and fucking enjoying life ...now i just have to wait 5 more days for my Buchla to arrive razz

so to answer the question
no
and
no
at the moment
Luka
what club did you run ross?
amnesia
GLOBAL WARMING 95-97 i think were the years
Audio Resistance
I quit trying to make a living off music 15 years ago.

Now I am in the Death Care Industry ( cemeteries and funeral homes for those that do not know) and use my music and modular to relax at the end off the day.

The ironic part off that is I could never afford the gear that I wanted when music payed the bills, but now that I have no contacts or desire to go play a club I have more gear than I ever dreamed about. very frustrating

Cheers,
Rob
wetterberg
Absent wrote:
The ironic part off that is I could never afford the gear that I wanted when music payed the bills, but know that I have no contacts or desire to go play a club I have more gear than I ever dreamed about. very frustrating
that about sums up the process. Our only hope for young, cutting edge musicians to be equipped well is to die and let them inherit. There, I said it.

Don B needs to adopt me.
Soy Sos
Thanks for all the interesting answers!
It's funny, with the modular sitting right nest to my console and patch bay (I've also always thought of the studio as one big modular instrument) I can always patch out of my DAW, in to the mod and back in. Often times there's no point if a particular project is on a fast track. Many times I'll use Reason or some plug-in and not be bummed thinking "it would be so much cooler if I created an awesome patch on the modular" It feels healthy to see the modular as a creative, fun option when time allows for paying clients and a deluxe treatment to give my personal productions the custom edge.
krisp14u
Soy Sos wrote:

1. What do you do professionally?

I build Modular synths
To be honest I haven’t made any money out of building synths (this is part of a plan) I reinvest in parts all the money that I make and some gets swallowed up by my own modular
I have a 3-4 module a month habit

Soy Sos wrote:

2. How does your modular figure in to your "paying" work?

See 1
felix
1) I'm a SQA (software quality assurance) engineer/manager.

2) Unfortunately the modular isn't directly involved with work in any way. But I have used recorded patches when testing, so I can at least listen to it at work. smile A handful of my test sessions start out as personal sessions as well, so it's involved a bit that way.

But the fact is the modular is what I come home to make music on after I have been working with a computer all day.
Morley
1) I'm a musician and producer and have been doing that for approx 20 years now. Still haven't got a proper job hihi (not that I haven't had to find money elsewhere in lean periods)

2) I guess my modular synths attract some people to work with me (or has done) and for my music I find them indispensable.
dkcg
1) I'm sitting at work now waiting for renders for a commercial spot I'm working on. I do computer animation, visual effects and motion graphics for a living. Not related directly, but I work with node based software all the time and have always had an interest in music since I was a tiny kid, which lead to learning MaxMSP (still learning it) and that lead to wanting to do similar things with sound w/o turning on my computer, which I'm getting sick of sitting in front of after 15 years of doing graphics/animation.

I had some music in the background playing over the radio in an adult cartoon series a long ass time ago...surf guitar song.

2) It's my way of not thinking about work at all and enjoying the moment, I have plans to add real time visuals using Max and Jitter at some point, so maybe that's how my work relates.
johnnymad
1. i'm a musician and a student. i'm principal double bassist of the baton rouge symphony. it's not the best gig, but it's a start. i play freelance jazz/funk/whatever gigs on electric and double bass.

2. my modular is just a release for me right now. i'll hopefully take it out of my bedroom one day and make some money with it. hihi
parasitk
I'm unemployed ( SlayerBadger! )

Once upon a time I did web dev and design. I don't miss it.

But I did use my modular a little on the last paying music job I did (synths and noise for the Cradle of Filth album, Thornography). I was also using it on a project I was working on for Rob Caggiano (of Anthrax) and King (of Gorgoroth), but that has been quiet to the point of not being sure if it's still happening or not.

I also use it in my own music, which does pay every so often! w00t
subbasshead
I work as a film sound designer & am based in Wellington, New Zealand
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0695670

I make music in my spare time & have been into synths for a decade & a half but started my first modular a few months ago - a Doepfer A100P suitcase... I've filled it up now & have a couple of G6 rack cases in transit.. My aim is to use the modular as much for processing (to/from PT) as synthesis - I got into modular for my music but used it for first time in my work last week; I get a few episodes of a scifi tv show to do every so often & one recent ep had a character called dischord so had fun making edgy distorted tones & passbys for him...

FWIW i have a blog called the music of sound, its down for maintenance today but is usually here:
http://www.subsation.co.nz/blog

bestest regards & thanks for all the great info/advice via this forum!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2