MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite VST delay for synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Favorite VST delay for synths
acidbob
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations as to what VST delay works best for you. Mostly I am looking for something simple that can sync to my DAW. I have been using the standard ping-pong delay in ableton, UberMod and H-delay. I like the H-delay the best so far, but maybe there are other good alternatives? I tend to use it for lower freqs. As well, some something with a filter would be cool.
ngarjuna
For simple I would check out Audio Damage's Dubstation, it checks off literally all of the boxes you mentioned (filters, sync, modulation) and the new interface is very nice.

For a little less simple I get fair mileage out of Izotope's DDLY which is a dual delay setup (with filters and sync and modulation) that is dynamic (threshold slider). A very quick way to get, for example, a pair of delays going on something.

I also use ReaDelay a lot (which is free I think) something about the interface that I really like when it comes to stacking up different taps.
lisa
Fabfilter Timeless 2 is the best delay I’ve ever used. Powerful, complex and modular but also as simple as you make it with a great range of presets.

I use 10-20 instances of it in each of my tracks.
listentoaheartbeat
Soundtoys Echoboy is fantastic, lots of different colors and a nicely balanced set of controls. My favorite however is Replika XT, it sounds phenomenal especially when things get out of hand and the modes cover a wide range of sounds. Also the rhythmic features are really interesting. The new Ableton Echo has quickly become a firm favorite, too. I really like its stereo modulation options.
Funky40
some people here like the unfiltered audio "sandman pro" vrey much.

it will be on flash sale february 9-11,
regular price 49$, then 19$
had it so in my newsletter today
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_sandman.h tml

its definitly a powerful tool.
well, its not one of those simple VSTs though.
it has onboard modulation sources btw.

depends alots on the music one is doing, not ?
acidbob
Great guys, thanks for the suggestions, will check them out later today in the lunch break smile
computer controlled
I'm a huge delay freak. I really like D16's Tekturon, Sigmund, and Repeater. The new Echo delay in Live 10 is really nice too.

Dub Station
Nomad Factory Echos
Howie_Doodat
i keep it pretty simple these days, but i used to heavily utilize and really love Ohmforce's OHMBoyz Delay.
TS
One of my favorites is a free one, NastyDLA mkii.
SB-SIX
I like Bitwig's delay2 more than any delay I've ever had because you can put any fx inside the feedback path (distortion, tape, reverb, pitch shifters etc). Maybe there is a vst that can do this too, by using a sidechain input?

From the vsts I know I like tkDelay alot, and replika.
dplduffy
+1 for Bitwig's Delay 2.

Tal Dub X is also a pretty cool one that I haven't seen mentioned here.
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dub-x
rod_zero
Replika XT is my favorite, as simple r complex, good UI and the algos have some diversity (tape, BBD, diffuse).

Surreal machines have two vintage emulations (magnetic and diffuse) which are quite nice too.
Phil999
most VST delays are good, some even render manual delay time changes naturally. I used the PSP 42 for a long time, it's almost an exact replica of a rack delay I had. The GSi GS-201 as well, and still use it occasionally. But I'm good with any built-in delay in a digital mixer or DAW.

Off topic: it's not a VST, but the Korg Monotron Delay is a rather nice pocket BBD. I've used it more often than my Memory Man DL which is sometimes too big to carry around. The Monotron Delay is most always with me.
listentoaheartbeat
SB-SIX wrote:
I like Bitwig's delay2 more than any delay I've ever had because you can put any fx inside the feedback path (distortion, tape, reverb, pitch shifters etc). Maybe there is a vst that can do this too, by using a sidechain input?

That won't work nicely – latencies are quite delicate in a feedback scenario. Also the DSP cannot be optimized properly (up/downsampling, etc.).
I suppose Bitwig does it only for their own plug-ins?
IMForeman
Agree with Reaktor XT. Love the tape mode, and the diffusion is really nice.
poppinger
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

No, you can use whatever plugins you have installed - 32bit VST/64bit VST, etc.
Sinamsis
No love for Rob Papen? Haha, I love RP Delay. I also am a HUGE fan of Echoboy and Sigmund.
Sleipnir
Said you’re using Ableton, but I don’t know if you have M4L/suite.
If so, my fave in that setting is Surreal Machines’ Magnetic.
http://www.ableton.com/en/blog/dub-machines-analog-delay-max-for-live/
It’s pretty much an RE-201 in a plug-in. Super simple interface.
Guinness ftw!
Otherwise I just try to make do with whatever is available.
acidbob
Thanks again, what a great list to check out.
So to clarify a bit more, I am not really looking for some far out effects from the delay, just something really simple. I had good results combining delay and reverb. Mostly I tend to use delay on simple bass lines and melodic sequences. To give you an idea about what music I make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJ7qgZykws

I dont use my DAW for anything other than recording, mixing and a few simple effects that can be found in any mixer. Issue is that I use the Alesis built in reverb for all channels on my mixer, it only allows for one effects at a time for all channels. I think there are 24 channels on the mixer and other than that I have 20 inputs in my soundcard. So it's really ideal to use the soundcard for more specialized or individual effects, if that makes sense smile
listentoaheartbeat
poppinger wrote:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

No, you can use whatever plugins you have installed - 32bit VST/64bit VST, etc.

Interesting, will need to try that. Any issues with bad/unwanted resonances at high feedback settings with some VSTs?
NathansModular
Zebra, Reaktor, and Relayer have all made me happy for not only complicated sound design oriented delay but simple use.
Kent
Unsurprisingly, this topic has been asked and answered many times.

Our Search Engine reveals two decent threads on the matter.

Pop “delay and plug*” into the Search Engine. There are threads that could have be added to in order to extend the conversation.

Miley Cyrus
nomadjames
Soundtoys Echoboy.
nomadjames
Sinamsis wrote:
No love for Rob Papen? Haha, I love RP Delay. I also am a HUGE fan of Echoboy and Sigmund.

Didn't know Rob Pappen had a delay...Love his synths.
robkramble
I really like:

•Modnetic for tape delay textures
•H-Delay for general purpose delays (probably the first delay I ever bought)
•Sandman Pro for Swiss army delay design
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2