MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digital rack, inexperienced.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Digital rack, inexperienced.
Unborn Gore
I'm new to eurorack. Looking to start a 104hp Intelligel case.

I'm interested in building a digital rack with wavetables and 8-bit. The modules I'm looking at take up 98hp of those 104, so I wanted to bounce the setup off of you guys beforehand for feedback on a) the types of problems it may have, and b) modules that would complement it in the remaining 6hp.

The setup:

Nozoid MMO-3
Waldorf NW1
Soulsby Oscitron

Your thoughts would be most welcome. I am coming at this from severe inexperience.
bengersfood
Unborn Gore wrote:
The setup:
Nozoid MMO-3
Waldorf NW1
Soulsby Oscitron

The NW1 is a very large module for what it does. Given your space constraints I think you might look elsewhere for what you want. I don’t know much about the Nozoid MMO-3 but glancing at photos it seems s hard to see how it integrates with modular. In which case you have two oscillators and not much to do with them
NotHerbert
It's not clear how you intend to use this system, but generally speaking a rack full of nothing but oscillators is likely to be pretty limiting. I'd pick one of those to start with, and then think about what other modules you're going to need to support it and get the most out of it. VCAs, CV sources, mixers, attenuators, sequencers - that sort of thing.
MarcelP
bengersfood wrote:
Unborn Gore wrote:
The setup:
Nozoid MMO-3
Waldorf NW1
Soulsby Oscitron

The NW1 is a very large module for what it does. Given your space constraints I think you might look elsewhere for what you want. I don’t know much about the Nozoid MMO-3 but glancing at photos it seems s hard to see how it integrates with modular. In which case you have two oscillators and not much to do with them

I am with Bengersfood on this one: the MMO-3 appears to be a non-modular module which has little to say to the two other oscillators in the rack. How do you control them? How achieve interesting complex modulation and send it where you want it? I think some more research on the different elements of modular and how/why these are patched together to control the whole ensemble might be useful. Youtube has many resources - I like the Make Noise instructive videos, Mylar Melodies and Div Kid, etc. Good luck! thumbs up
Unborn Gore
bengersfood wrote:
The NW1 is a very large module for what it does. Given your space constraints I think you might look elsewhere for what you want.

Thank-you. I'll definitely do more research on wavetable modules.

Quote:
I don’t know much about the Nozoid MMO-3 but glancing at photos it seems s hard to see how it integrates with modular. In which case you have two oscillators and not much to do with them

I was inspired by this instagram photo of Jean Michel Jarre:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZCC3GmFFYb/?taken-by=nozoid_synth

... but if it's as limited as you say, perhaps I should stick with a wavetable and the Oscitron instead of going overkill on oscillators. I was assuming that I could take advantage of the ADSR and 3 LFOs via audio in.
Unborn Gore
NotHerbert wrote:
It's not clear how you intend to use this system, but generally speaking a rack full of nothing but oscillators is likely to be pretty limiting. I'd pick one of those to start with, and then think about what other modules you're going to need to support it and get the most out of it. VCAs, CV sources, mixers, attenuators, sequencers - that sort of thing.

Thank-you for the tip. I knew I was being wrong-headed on that front, and believe it or not it means a lot to be corrected by someone with experience. I have a lot more research to do.
Astrolabe23
I wouldn't personally recommend the NW1 for a starter in eurorack. In my opinion it can be a challenging module to get where you want to go with it. I don't own any other wave table OSC's but maybe someone can recommend a slightly easier one to start with if your interested in that sound.
Unborn Gore
MarcelP wrote:
I think some more research on the different elements of modular and how/why these are patched together to control the whole ensemble might be useful. Youtube has many resources - I like the Make Noise instructive videos, Mylar Melodies and Div Kid, etc. Good luck! thumbs up

The more videos I watch, the more clear it becomes how much research I need to do. Thanks for pointing me towards those!
Unborn Gore
Astrolabe23 wrote:
I wouldn't personally recommend the NW1 for a starter in eurorack. In my opinion it can be a challenging module to get where you want to go with it.

Well, what is it about it that makes you say that? I definitely see the point of it covering a lot of real estate. But the sound of it is terrific.
void23
Astrolabe23 wrote:
I wouldn't personally recommend the NW1 for a starter in eurorack. In my opinion it can be a challenging module to get where you want to go with it. I don't own any other wave table OSC's but maybe someone can recommend a slightly easier one to start with if your interested in that sound.

Erica Black Wavetable VCO is nice for the space it occupies, cheap (relatively speaking) and includes a bit crush for that 8-bit sound. Same would go for a Braids, plus you get a lot more bang for your buck with that one. The Harvestman Piston Honda is supposed to be the king of grungy wavetables. My favorite, high-fidelty WaveTable VCO that I've played with is the E352.
Unborn Gore
void23 wrote:
Erica Black Wavetable VCO

hot damn.
NotHerbert
Unborn Gore wrote:
NotHerbert wrote:

Thank-you for the tip. I knew I was being wrong-headed on that front, and believe it or not it means a lot to be corrected by someone with experience. I have a lot more research to do.

LOL. It was less than a year ago I posted my own "hey I'm a noob what do you think of my plan?" thread, so it's funny to hear myself referred to as "someone with experience."

You didn't put a modulargrid link in your post, and no one has mentioned it yet. We probably all assumed you knew about it, but in case you don't: https://www.modulargrid.net . Planning fantasy racks on MG is actually a pretty good way to learn what's out there.
MarcelP
Unborn Gore wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
I think some more research on the different elements of modular and how/why these are patched together to control the whole ensemble might be useful. Youtube has many resources - I like the Make Noise instructive videos, Mylar Melodies and Div Kid, etc. Good luck! thumbs up

The more videos I watch, the more clear it becomes how much research I need to do. Thanks for pointing me towards those!

To be honest the research never stops! Modular seems to be a continuous learning experience: what modules are available, how each module functions, how each module might relate to another, looking for alternative ways to achieve a similar effect, the search for more efficient patching, novel techniques, more complex patching, the uses of random, the generation of a random signal, different types of random...and....ooh! a new module just came out!

And that is just looking at the basic synth architecture - designing the instrument if you will - there are then considerations about what can be composed with the modular configuration, how to actually play the configuration of modules and specifically how you have patched them today, arrangement of voices, arrangement of modules in the rack, mixing the various elements while playing (mix balance - a subject in itself), post production issues.... It is a never ending wonder, a labyrinthine rabbit hole.
ibzieg
If you haven't already, consider using some modular synth software to get a better idea of what a minimal set of useful modules would be to suit your needs before spending any money. Check out: VCV Rack (close emulation of eurorack), MaxMsp, Reaktor... I think i'm forgetting some other obvious ones.
bengersfood
ibzieg wrote:
If you haven't already, consider using some modular synth software to get a better idea of what a minimal set of useful modules would be to suit your needs before spending any money. Check out: VCV Rack (close emulation of eurorack), MaxMsp, Reaktor... I think i'm forgetting some other obvious ones.

VCV is a really smart suggestion - I wish it had been around when I first stepped into Eurorackland
Unborn Gore
NotHerbert wrote:
https://www.modulargrid.net . Planning fantasy racks on MG is actually a pretty good way to learn what's out there.

Here's what I came up with:

[/img]
VZvision
I can't tell for sure, but doesn't look like there are any VCA's in there, unless the module beside the sloth is a VCA??

If there are not any VCA's I would recommend either:

1. Ditching clouds and putting a quad VCA of your choice (lets say 12 HP for that) as well as a 6 HP attenuator module or another small EG.

2. Picking a smaller filter and filling the void with a dual, tri, or quad VCA.

Hope that helps.
alexbarbed
Re. NW1
Unborn Gore wrote:
... But the sound of it is terrific.
I'd really like to hear some. Any chance of posting something to the One Oscillator Challenge thread? We don't have many wavetables there and I'm intrigued by this one.
Unborn Gore
VZvision wrote:
I can't tell for sure, but doesn't look like there are any VCA's in there, unless the module beside the sloth is a VCA??

No, HAX is a ring modulator. I think I'm going to drop it for a Pamela's new workout.

I just looked up VCAs. I think you're right that I need to downsize my filter.

Question:

Is there such thing as a half-Clouds?
VZvision
Unborn Gore wrote:
VZvision wrote:

No, HAX is a ring modulator. I think I'm going to drop it for a Pamela's new workout.

I just looked up VCAs. I think you're right that I need to downsize my filter.

Question:

Is there such thing as a half-Clouds?

Ring Modulators are usually a type of VCA, but just a quick glance at the HAX doesn't look like it will function as a clean VCA

There is the uClouds:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-%CE%BCclouds

That would leave 10 HP...perhaps Happy nerding 3xVCA and some 4HP doodad you like (or two 2HP doodads) thumbs up

P.S. Would focus that last 4HP on more modulation (via LFO's or EG's)
Unborn Gore
alexbarbed wrote:
I'd really like to hear some. Any chance of posting something to the One Oscillator Challenge thread? We don't have many wavetables there and I'm intrigued by this one.

I don't have it yet, but here is a guy who plays the NW1 through clouds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirvPzRjyTs

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpF9B8eWnA
Unborn Gore
VZvision wrote:
There is the uClouds:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-%CE%BCclouds

That would leave 10 HP...perhaps Happy nerding 3xVCA and some 4HP doodad you like (or two 2HP doodads) thumbs up

P.S. Would focus that last 4HP on more modulation (via LFO's or EG's)

Thanks a ton, man!
JonathanBedrava
Mutable Instruments Edges can be had for a song, and includes four square wave digital oscillators. It even includes a (very primitive) sequencer. It's pretty good for 8-bit sorts of sounds.

EDIT: Ha! I didn't notice the 6hp requirement. My bad. You should still give it some consideration.
savethisrocketship
Yeah, you're still looking really light on modulation - Clouds needs a random/semi random source to get the most out of it.

Depending on how you plan on routing your audio this might not be applicable, but getting something like the 3x MIA (Happy Nerding) instead of the dual attenuator & mixer combo might be more flexible - you get 3 sets of two input mixers or attenuator/attenuverters, or offset & attenuation. I seriously love that module, but you do lose some mixing power if you need a 4:1 mixer like that.

As other's have suggested you might get the most out of this by picking 1 VCO or getting one half the size of the NW1. If it were me & it had to contain some of these 'Flagship' modules in this size I would: ditch Hax, Sloth, and if you *have* to have clouds, then get uClouds. Trade the attenuator/mixer combo for 3x MIA. Then choose either Oscitron with the filter or NW1 and instead get a 4 or 6 hp filter. Add Octocontroller, Kinks, and however many VCAs & EGs you can fit with the remaining space, maybe an A-140 & a pip slope with a Tangle Quartet? Keep the Function thumbs up
SeattleDucati
Hmmmmm....

My recommendation: Buy a Moog Mother 32 or a Pittsburgh modular sv-1, a Make Noise 104hp skiff, and let need dictate what comes next.

Get yourself a quad VCA.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2