MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 'Amish Surprise' patch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author The 'Amish Surprise' patch
dooj88
I had the idea last night, but was in the middle of something else and couldn't try it out for an example.. but patching without power!

the idea is to build a patch with your system off. you patch the points you want to hear and turn knobs to about where you'd expect the parameter to sound how you want. then you turn it on for a delightful surprise or an atrocious din! the only thing you can adjust is the VCA level to balance the overall mix.

i'll post later on, but i think (aside from being silly fun) it'll show who is most intimately in touch with their system.

rawk on SlayerBadger!
Parnelli
And tonight we're gonna party like its 1699....

No really, that's an interesting concept! I often have a sound in mind when I patch up, it might be good practice to try and pull it out without audio in one shot, might learn something! thumbs up
chess1
Odd. I thought everyone did it this way.
sduck
I did this once, and all the lights in Deerfield, Connecticut went out, which is odd, as I'm in Nashville.
memes_33
What does it take to make an Amish woman happy?
Two mennonite
Dcramer
^ lol

Yeah 8 has this same thought when one wiggles posted that he couldn’t patch because the power was out cool

Just patch it up and cross your fingers! w00t
cptnal
Yep, done this, and it's fun. SlayerBadger!

If I'm not in "I wonder what happens if" patching mode then I've generally got an idea of what I want to achieve. The thing is it's so easy to get distracted from your original purpose by something that catches your ear along the way. That can be a good thing, but it's useful to have alternative techniques.

Another thing is it reintroduces a bit of humility. Like saying to yourself, "if you're so smart try patching without hearing what you're doing".

Anyways, cool post if it encourages other wigglers who haven't tried it already. This is fun!
morgve
Yep! Sometimes I do "deaf" patching, with the modular on but the speakers off. When everything seems fine, I just hit record in Ableton and... surprise!

Pretty fun! Sometimes I even try to do that without tuning the VCOs It's peanut butter jelly time!. Most of the time, there's something usable in there. It's a good way to trigger your imagination I think.
dan_p
Amish Surprise thumbs up lol
Jasper
Rad idea!

I mean I do a good bit of "mental patching" which I assume is the case for all of us, yeah?

In LZX/video we'll call it Helen Keller'ing. That's PC right? thumbs up
Parnelli
Put together a patch this morning before I left for work, when I get home I'll turn it on and see what comes of it.
captjrab
I do this in my sketchbook not only to conceptualize new ideas but to remember old ones. Its a pretty good practice.
cptnal
captjrab wrote:
I do this in my sketchbook not only to conceptualize new ideas but to remember old ones. Its a pretty good practice.

Your use of the artists' term "sketchbook" intrigues me. Was that just an accident or do you really have a book of lavishly illustrated patch ideas?
captjrab
cptnal wrote:
captjrab wrote:

Your use of the artists' term "sketchbook" intrigues me. Was that just an accident or do you really have a book of lavishly illustrated patch ideas?

Its a catch all book of poetry, patches, stage plots, doodles, designs, recording/production notes, phone #’s and emails of people I meet on the go and passwords to my Swiss bank accounts. It goes with me everywhere just in case...
Parnelli
Well I got home, turned it on, and pffft.... it sounded like mud. Then I noticed I had the trigger for Maths in the channel 1 input instead of the trigger input. Once I changed that I got sound and played with it for a bit. As I was patching up the Wogglebug I didn't really know what to expect in the first place, so it left little room for disappointment!

Good practice. I also like the sketchbook idea, I have one going, albeit without the sketches. I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler!
R.U.Nuts
Most of the time I start patching clocks and triggers, then audio and then modulation which means for example envelopes that open up VCAs are the last thing that I patch. So I won't hear anything until patching is finished.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1