MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog System 55 opinions, i need a little help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Moog System 55 opinions, i need a little help
kbrush
hey cats, not to noob on your territory too much but i really need an honest opinion here and 5u has not been my format.

i have tons of thingys. 100u of Buchla, 3000+ hp of euro, room full of rare fixed architecture synths, etc, etc

but one thing i do not have is a Moog Modular. I always considered them a bit antiquated and not worth their space and cost...

But ya know, despite that i still really want one. fitting it in to my studio would be tough but doable...and occasionally i hear some very impressive sounds come out of them.

the system 55 is kinda the one that makes the most sense for me personally, but it involves a lot of space and capital.

is it worth it? i'm really hoping to ping the multi-format cats here. i know there are format junkies in every domain here. but for you guys that explore all the format possibilities...could you lend me some words of wisdom ?
JohnLRice
Since I've never owned one I can't say if it is worth the cost to you or not but I'm sure it would be awesome. cool

That said, you should take a look at some of the makers of cloned Moog modules and systems as you will save you a LOT of money and they will arguably sound as good and allow you to put together the exact system you want. In order of the closest to reasonably very close IMHO look at:
http://www.synth-werk.com/
https://www.mos-lab.com/
http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/

Beyond that there are many other Moog style module makers that have a lot to offer. Just ask for more info or search the forum. Best of luck!
SynthBaron
I would buy a "new" 55 over a vintage one, that's for sure. No reason to deal with constant maintenance of corroding parts when the reissue is available.

You will also get the normalization of CV/trigger routings that only a real Moog Modular will offer, along with the combination of those half-space panels. And that makes it really easy to patch and use.
REcDeso12oi
I have a fairly large 200e system, euro, and several hardware synths, and use them on a daily basis for work. I got a Model 15 about a year ago and have been stuck in what seems to be an eternal honeymoon period. All I can say is that it's currently my favorite sounding synth and even with other Moogs and some euro I think it adds a unique color to my palate. The Moog modular stuff obviously has its own voice and will add a valuable option to your arsenal of noise makers.

I actually interface it with my Buchla all the time as the 250e is one of my favorite sequencers ever. If you have a 202h Utilities and one of these https://synthesizers.com/qmvs.html you can get the two talking pretty well.

I can't comment on the clones out there as I've never personally used them. BUT from what I've seen and heard I think they are of the finest quality and can save you some money, and still give you some really amazing sounds. So they worth looking into. But if you have the cash and want a Moog I would recommend 100% getting it. I think you'll be happy you did. But is it worth it? Regardless of what some people may say on here no one can answer that for you. For me it was.

Last thing I'll say, I had an issue with my 953 triggering. The Moog customer service was super responsive and got me a new keyboard within a week of my first email. So I think thats worth taking into consideration as well.

Good luck.
mutierend
Have you looked at synthesizers.com? It's not just about cost, but flexibility too.

https://synthesizers.com/studio66.html
kbrush
this is just super helpful. thank you guys so much. i’m stil chewing on your reaponses.

guess i should clarify the “worth it” question. i really mean:

1) time and attention diverted away from instruments i already love in order to explore a “new to me” but pretty well covered synthesis MO
2) the physical size of it in the studio relative to its functionality and output
3) price

in that order

As far as the other 5u makers go, I’m fairly Moog specific here as this is less about the 5u format and more about the Moogyness. Which is, I agree, fairly shallow but it’s the Moog that holds more allure than the 5u aspect.

i also have tons of other stuff that can theoretically step in for the rest of sound palette rainbow.

thanks again, this has really helped me frame the pros and cons
Synthoholic
The IIIc is the better synth in my opinion.
elmerfudd
Synthoholic wrote:
The IIIc is the better synth in my opinion.

Agreed.
But, if you are looking for a Moog voice in context of a larger system a 15 would get you there sound wise and Moon, STG, etc for logic, sequencing and utilities. Only 2 cabinets and a lot less money.
mutierend
kbrush wrote:
I really mean:

1) time and attention diverted away from instruments i already love in order to explore a “new to me” but pretty well covered synthesis MO
2) the physical size of it in the studio relative to its functionality and output
3) price

in that order

1) That's really for you to say. Do you want a System 55 because of GAS? Or because you "really want a Moog"? Or because you want to make music with it?
2) 5U is the worst format for size-to-functionality ratio. The System 55 is enormous and heavy. That's what I like about 5U, but it does take up a lot of room.
3) Again, that's for you to say. $35,000 is a lot of money and the System 55 is a bit of a boutique instrument. A System 55 is about $1000 per module. You've said that you're not willing to look at other 5U manufacturers, but if #1 and #2 are not an issue while #3 is, don't let the price keep you out of the 5U world.
josaka
I bought 3 SW 901 and 4 mos Lab 921 (one full osc) + cp3's ..so I have a kind of hybrid 55.. for waaay less money and way more flexible.. never ownwed the real thing so cant confirm the accuracy.. but .. it sounds great.. and I own a lot of oscillators !
EMwhite
If the $$ are not an issue for you, just buy the IIIc and get it overwith as Synth-a-holic said above.

If you feel that you are missing something by not having 921 OSCs, buy a System 15 also.

You can go the other route which is mix and match various makers, deal with international shipping, build and delivery time, differing power standards, etc. and have this completely consume you (rather than making music or noise; your choice). But I see that you have so much Euro and other stuff, you probably know the drill and maybe area already 100% consumed by this all and love it.
synthguru
kbrush wrote:
hey cats, not to noob on your territory too much but i really need an honest opinion here and 5u has not been my format.

i have tons of thingys. 100u of Buchla, 3000+ hp of euro, room full of rare fixed architecture synths, etc, etc

but one thing i do not have is a Moog Modular. I always considered them a bit antiquated and not worth their space and cost...

But ya know, despite that i still really want one. fitting it in to my studio would be tough but doable...and occasionally i hear some very impressive sounds come out of them.

the system 55 is kinda the one that makes the most sense for me personally, but it involves a lot of space and capital.

is it worth it? i'm really hoping to ping the multi-format cats here. i know there are format junkies in every domain here. but for you guys that explore all the format possibilities...could you lend me some words of wisdom ?

I'll add my .02 cents here.
I had an expanded Moog 55 (with some modules from a IIIc) and it is a beautiful instrument - unbelievable tone quality.
I also had Moog 15 and played Gil Trythall's Moog IIIc quite a bit (we used to play live gigs together).
If you can afford to get one, two things can happen.
You will either love it and keep it until you die, or you will have realized that - as beautiful as it is - you have satisfied your urge to own a legendary instrument and other beautiful instruments (like Synthesizers.com) could have been had for much less.
As Spock one said, “After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.”
Also, S-triggers are a pain in the ass.

Zon
noddyspuncture
synthguru wrote:

I've found them a breeze...! cool
elmerfudd
noddyspuncture wrote:
synthguru wrote:

I've found them a breeze...! cool

And you can use a door bell button as a trigger!
Wray
If you can't make music on household pots and pans, wait a little with purchasing a Moog 55...

Not just a throll folks...
Rex Coil 7
Yet another "hey guys, is this Moog modular ~worth it~?" thread. Pick the model of choice (15, 55, IIIP, and so on).

The only person that can accurately answer that question is the person presenting the question.

Since I've been asked, ~no~ ... it's not worth it. I've heard so many synths that can produce sounds that are as pleasing as any of the Moog modulars (current pedigree, that is). And those synths cost one tenth (or less) than the modern Moog modulars do.

But you see, I buy modular synths for their functionality, their fun, their usefulness. Not to say that Moogs aren't useful or fun ... but I am saying that I don't *hear* the money.

On the other hand, I fully understand folks that like to own prestigious equipment. And some people see owning a Moog ("a real Moog modular!") as something that is coveted by others, and to those types of people that kind of stuff matters.

That said, who am I to lay judgement on folks like that? No One, that's who.

So .... the poster actually needs to answer that ("is it worth it"?) them own self. I mean, what would anyone expect a whole forum full of 5U/MU users to say about owning something like that? It's almost like wanting validation from others to spend a LOT of moola on a synth, but asking only pundits for a pragmatic reply. Total safe bet.

I'm going to be the turd in the punchbowl here and reply to the question of "is it worth it?" with .... not no, but HELL no!

However the measuring stick I use to come to such a conclusion is one of pragmatism. That doesn't mean I don't understand what it means to have stars in one's eyes over a burning desire to own something that I feel I simply must have. Been there, done that ... came back cuz it sucked.

(You're reading a response from a person that spent untold munnies-dollas when he used to race motorcycles .... that is one huge ass money hole! But when the newestist fastestist bad-ass-ola gadget or bike came out, nothing ... and I mean nothing ... would talk me into rationally thinking through the needs vs wants scale when my mind was set on having that new ~thing~ .... so I totally get it!).

Not only do I get it .... but I also offer my deepest sympathies to the OP. I say that from a position of brethren. As if to say "welcome to the club, my sincerest and honest sympathy goes out to you CUZ I KNOW WHAT THE DESIRE FEELS LIKE AND ANY OF US IN THE SAME BOAT DO THE SAME THING!!! FEED THE BEAST WITHIN!!!!"

HAAHAA!!!!! thumbs up lol lol lol

So, I understand ~desire~ ... boy do I ever (two dozen broken bones ... eight of which before I graduated from High School --- two state championships --- any number of months where the rent took a back burner to new racing parts) .... yea, you get the picture.

So my answer to you is *No ... it's not worth it* .... NOW GO BUY THAT SUCKER!!!!

cool

(Me ... in 1974 ... I was 14 years old racing against grown ass men in the 250cc class)

minime123
I don't know about the reissues, as I played a brand new system at a trade show and it didn't sound good to me, but if they really do sound like a real vintage 55, the vintage ones, like the one we have in our studio, sound like nothing else. Features are limited in comparison to lots of other modular synths, but the overall tone is much better than most.
mini
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1