MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Putting together a west coast(ish) setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Putting together a west coast(ish) setup
donttellmom
Hi there, new to Eurorack. I'm looking to set up a 104hp case with as much "west coast" functionality as I can. Here's what I've got so far:

I'm looking to add a few things like:

- Random generation
- Additional CV processing
- Quantization
- Sequencer (open to getting a standalone unit for this)
- Additional sound source

I'm going to be purchasing an Intellijel 4u case, so I'm mostly interested in adding interesting/unique modules with multiple functionality to keep things compact. Thanks!
brandonlogic
pams workout + ornament and crime + benjolin

pam and o and c would cover quantizer, random (cv and gates), and even sequencing needs plus LFO's, clocks and more.

additional west coast sound source (and random and crazy lfo/modulation source)- benjolin

youll probably want another simple vca and a mixer- check out the 2hp line up for those

check out a slim version of ornament and crime to save hp, a couple people are making them
12eightyfive
Oh I love these kinds of racks. brandonlogic's suggestions are solid, all of those are great. I try to think of West Coast as a way of patching rather than as a set of modules. Though yeah, you'll usually see a complex oscillator and a LPG and random, all that.

I found Loquelic Iteritas to be a really helpful oscillator in a small setup, it will get you some of the sounds, if not the flexibility of patching, as the Intellijel combo you've got going on, it gets you part of the way there and it would save you quite a few hp. You could pair it with a Warps for another oscillator as well as all the alternate stuff that comes with it.

Just Friends and Cold Mac are two great west coast-ish modules, Just Friends really shines in a small system and Cold Mac. Not traditionally WC but that's how I'm trying to think of 'west coast', as not requiring a tradition to patch from.
rew_
The Intellijel modules sound amazing. You can do a complex osc in fewer hp with a DPO, which might be something to consider in a case this small. Every hp will count.

Consider an LxD instead of an Optomix for your low pass gate. You'll want a more standard VCA anyway and the LxD will give you your clicks and pops.

You're doing Intellijel 4U so grab the Quadratt tile (possibly two, seriously) for extra attenuation/offset/mixing. Consider going with the Intellijel Noise Tools tile for your random; it's not as West Coast-y as, say, a Wogglebug but it will free up precious space

The 2HP quantizer is perfect for a system like this. (2HP Turing Machine a nice compliment / semi-random source.)

I think in a system this size two fully featured, cross-modulated oscillators are plenty of sound sources (enough for the Buchla Easel!). But sound sources are fun, so maybe try to find a module that can serve double-duty as either an oscillator or a wildass modulator. Just Friends or Kermit are two examples, in addition to the Benjolin, mentioned above.
gliftor
If you wanted to do an Easel-ish small system, you might find inspiration here...

+1 on the Kermit as mod source/2nd complex VCO, and using the 1U row for Quadratt/Noise Tools.
MarcelP
Hi,

Rubicon + a second osc + Optomix + Maths= great fun for a start!

At that point I would add a filter, may not be in keeping with the West Coast Philosophy but personally I am not so keen on boxing oneself in... it would be Sisters for me in there as it “pings” really nicely - with its multiple in/outs (I love filters, so much variety).

How will you be controlling the system? If it is a stand-alone system a sequencer would be nice early on (as simple as a little RYO thing, don’t need a Verbos multistage and beyond starting out) - or some sort of random note generator (Turing as mentioned) or s&h and some random source with a bit of LFO action, etc...Wogglebug is popular for good reason. Touch plates as control is nice - PP or lightplane, etc, makes the system play like an instrument. Have I mentioned VCAs yet? I have now...
The Junglechrist
For a small system like this I think that Maths is almost enought CV processing, maybe add a Function and you are good for sure.
I wouls not replace the Optomix by an LxD but just add an LxD to this hehehe. Those are very different and then you have 4 vca in 12 Hp which is not bad.
About sequencers you should go for 2 Pressur Points + Brains in another case for a very west coast experience, or look at the Sequence Selector from Verbos if you want to stay small.

As an exemple, this is the small system in use for my liveset as Repeat Eater, it is a bit of an hybrid East / west coast thing but as 12eightyfive said you can apply a pure weirdo way of patching to it and skip the East Coast (using the filter in self oscillation as a quadrature LFO for exemple)

[/img]
MarcelP
The Junglechrist wrote:

[/img]

That looks pretty cool!
R.U.Nuts
rew_ wrote:
The Intellijel modules sound amazing. You can do a complex osc in fewer hp with a DPO, which might be something to consider in a case this small. Every hp will count.

Consider an LxD instead of an Optomix for your low pass gate. You'll want a more standard VCA anyway and the LxD will give you your clicks and pops.

I never grow tired to say that a DPO not only includes two VCOs and a wavefolder but also three VCAs, a slew limiter and maybe half a dozen multiples. Take this in account and you'll have a hard time to emulate it's functionality with other modules in less HP.
Regarding LXD vs. optomix: Optomix is also a two channel mixer and has manual controls . So with LXD instead of Optomix you'll lose offset generators and mixers.
hermbot
The Make Noise Richter Wogglebug adds unique (and untameable) sound sources, random gates, S&H, slew, a stable voltage controlled clock... very versatile module that gets very wacky.

Random gates are super great in this kind of rack. You can also get them using a S&H and Maths, but that ties up channels in your Maths.

For what it's worth I started with a very similar setup and ended up with this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/582718

I used to have the Rubicon/Dixie/uFold combo and ultimately went with the DPO, but you can't go wrong with either.
mateo
You certainly wouldn't go wrong going for a DPO instead of the Rubicon Dixie combo, and a Woggle Bug for random voltages. There's a nice synergy between the make noise modules, and the integrated buses in the DPO are handy in a small system.
grep
You have some solid modules so far. Add a Pam’s and a quantizer and the Intellijel 1U modules as suggested above. Play with that for a while and you’ll figure out where to go from there. Something like this?

leftbracket
FWIW, I personally find the SSF Ultra-Random Analog far more controllable and flexible than the Wogglebug, but it's also a bit more expensive and perhaps a bit trickier to understand. Besides that it all looks excellent to me.
authorless
I think this would be fun.

12eightyfive
leftbracket wrote:
FWIW, I personally find the SSF Ultra-Random Analog far more controllable and flexible than the Wogglebug, but it's also a bit more expensive and perhaps a bit trickier to understand. Besides that it all looks excellent to me.

It's funny, as far as random goes, the wogglebug has always felt more west coast to me. The URA is a very controllable and multi use random but the wogglebug has always elicited less predictability in it's use (for me at least) which is why I'd go for it in this setting.
blinosynth
if i was u
complex oscillators are really famous now
if u like 259 funtionality look to verbos-furterrr endorphine - also shapeshifter is so cool

lpg are so nice aswell thomas white are imo the best out there

for random sapel from frap tools is the perfect reincarnation of the 266 (times X2 woah) not cheap though....

Guinness ftw! hope u will enjoy this new journey Guinness ftw! w00t
fuzzyboy
I'm in a similar boat so wanted to chime in on "Pittsburgh Modular Double Helix" module. I found few forum topics on that matter but still can't figure out the price/value of separate modules vs. all-in-one voice.

My current background is 0-coast and non-modular analog subtractive synths. I'm enjoying 0-coast flexibility and complexity quite a lot.

My goal is to add similar to 0-coast voice, in terms of sound-design approach, but with a bit different character.
zerostyle
Is there a Eurorack module that behaves similarly to the maths section on the 0-Coast. Basically, an attenuverter that has an input or two, but also sends voltage when nothing is plugged in?

-> This part of the 0-Coast
cptnal
zerostyle wrote:
Is there a Eurorack module that behaves similarly to the maths section on the 0-Coast. Basically, an attenuverter that has an input or two, but also sends voltage when nothing is plugged in?

-> This part of the 0-Coast

That would be something like MI Blinds, which gives your four, or Doepfer's A183-2. Plenty others - search Modulargrid for "attenuator".
Bartimaeus
The Quadratt 1U tile does that, so having one of this in your case will give you four voltage sources (when they're not in use as attenuators). The Triatt does it too.
hermbot
I mean... also the Maths.
williamjturkel
leftbracket wrote:

Agreed. I made the switch and have never regretted it.
donttellmom
Thanks everyone. I think after all this advice I'll be leaning towards something like this:

DPO looks really solid and would save me some space vs the Rubicon/Dixie/uFold combo, but I've read such great things about the uFold I think I'd rather go this route.

My question is ... how would I use Tetrapad/Pressure Points alongside a module like Pam's?
brandonlogic
donttellmom wrote:

My question is ... how would I use Tetrapad/Pressure Points alongside a module like Pam's?

These modules would go very well with modules Pam and ornament and crime because Pam and o and c are kind of menu driven modules, that in order for them to be playable, you need some cv controller modules like that. For example you could have one out of tetrapad control the clock divisions of Pam’s workout and another output control the probablility of the randomness in o and c’s Turing machines.

Pam and o and c are both very flexible in in terms of what can be cv controlled. Lots of interesting ways you could use Tetrapad/Pressure Points.
starthief
fuzzyboy wrote:
I'm in a similar boat so wanted to chime in on "Pittsburgh Modular Double Helix" module. I found few forum topics on that matter but still can't figure out the price/value of separate modules vs. all-in-one voice.

My current background is 0-coast and non-modular analog subtractive synths. I'm enjoying 0-coast flexibility and complexity quite a lot.

My goal is to add similar to 0-coast voice, in terms of sound-design approach, but with a bit different character.

Double Helix is fantastic IMHO. It definitely has a different character. I think of it as darker and... maybe woody, or something like that. I think it makes a good complement to linear TZFM stuff like Rubicon or Hertz Donut (or Furthrrr with Strong Zero Core). Or, pair it with another flavor of wavefolder and a linear VCA/mixer and you can imitate TZFM tones quite nicely.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2