MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Realising your rack does nothing you thought it would.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Realising your rack does nothing you thought it would.
AW198
loydb wrote:
I do stuff like re-arrange a case and then realize it has no envelopes. Ooops.

Seems alright if you like your drones and have 100 LFOs
Wray
mousegarden wrote:
Jeeze, after a major downsize, I really thought I'd be able to work quicker and get straight to the point of what I want to do, with no extraneous modules hanging around. It's amazing how you can,labour over ModularGrid for hours and it all seems fine, and then, ten minuets patching exposes a complete and utter failure.

Dead Banana

The problem in general is, people let them self being lead by the equipment. Instead of knowing what to look for, having an idea on forehand and thén using specific tools for reaching their goal. That is why the best musicians can work with barely having anything and others with walls of equipment can't do anything satisfying with it. It's about 'coming to the essence'.
mousegarden
Wray wrote:
The problem in general is, people let them self being lead by the equipment. Instead of knowing what to look for, having an idea on forehand and thén using specific tools for reaching their goal. That is why the best musicians can work with barely having anything and others with walls of equipment can't do anything satisfying with it. It's about 'coming to the essence'.

I think what you are saying is that if you are very talented you'll be able to get amazing music out of anything, with any tools, this opinion has been expressed many times on this forum in many threads.
But let's assume that the "talent" bit is there, it's taken for granted, we have it, then, do these equipment dilemmas still exist? even for really gifted people, of course they do, you hear it all the time. J S Bach wasn't really happy unless he was playing a Silberman organ, and the number of times I've heard/read about Brian Eno going ballistic about some annoying bit of gear is quite amusing.
cptnal
The gear should be transparent, as it were. That is, you don't want a learning curve or a dodgy jack to get in the way of the creative flow.

On the other hand, I seem to get best results when I don't fully understand something, or I have to think of ways to get around some shortcoming or other, so ignore everything I just said. This is fun!
Wray
mousegarden wrote:

I think what you are saying is that if you are very talented you'll be able to get amazing music out of anything, with any tools, this opinion has been expressed many times on this forum in many threads.
But let's assume that the "talent" bit is there, it's taken for granted, we have it, then, do these equipment dilemmas still exist? even for really gifted people, of course they do, you here it all the time. J S Bach wasn't really happy unless he was playing a Silberman organ, and the number of times I've heard/read about Brian Eno going ballistic about some annoying bit of gear is quite amusing.

Of course you should always keep striving for the best gear you need... No question. I'm a gearslut myself haha... Selling stuff I no longer need, buying, trading other stuff. buying things back I've previously sold etc. Mostly I'm very happy I've sold surplus gear because having too much gear (I don't use) always sort of confuses me. Fuzzes the clear perception. Like having a door constantly open with unwanted cosmic radiance beaming out. Then you sell things and come to the conclusion you've been a bit too drastic in selling. Ha. Luckily one can always buy things back, even some real rare stuff. Anyway, it's good to being aware of the processes inside. Although I'm a slut for gear, I try still not to get attached to it. It needs to work for me.
Wray
cptnal wrote:
The gear should be transparent, as it were. That is, you don't want a learning curve or a dodgy jack to get in the way of the creative flow.

On the other hand, I seem to get best results when I don't fully understand something, or I have to think of ways to get around some shortcoming or other, so ignore everything I just said. This is fun!

Absolutely. Mystery is so important in creation...
mousegarden
It's strange, the only piece of gear that's stayed here is my Novation A-Staion, everything else in my studio is constantly chngaing, the Novation is the only thing that's never been sold. I don't know why, but in a fire I'd save it, fuck everything else, the modular, the Moog etc, I'm just attatched to that A-Station for some reason.
Wray
There's some gear I'll never part of. Gear which have proven to be handy throughout many years in different settigs. Or things which have enabled me to do some important pieces. But I'm very glad I got rid of my Moog (clone) modular. It has never worked for me, no matter how much more modules I added. In general, I don't like to work with stuff which is used by thousand others. There's much more interesting gear out there, which is overlooked by the modular mob
mousegarden
Wray wrote:
There's some gear I'll never part of. Gear which have proven to be handy throughout many years in different settigs. Or things which have enabled me to do some important pieces. But I'm very glad I got rid of my Moog (clone) modular. It has never worked for me, no matter how much more modules I added. In general, I don't like to work with stuff which is used by thousand others. There's much more interesting gear out there, which is overlooked by the modular mob

Hang on! we are the "modular mob" hihi
The bottom line is not to get so hooked up on one thing or another "either, or" if you can afford to, just let it all co-exist.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2