MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Realising your rack does nothing you thought it would.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Realising your rack does nothing you thought it would.
mousegarden
Jeeze, after a major downsize, I really thought I'd be able to work quicker and get straight to the point of what I want to do, with no extraneous modules hanging around. It's amazing how you can labour over ModularGrid for hours and it all seems fine, and then, ten minuets patching exposes a complete and utter failure.

Dead Banana
Joe.
Theorycrafting is a waste of time.

Buy, try, keep or sell. Modular systems need a lot of iterations before you find what your want...

... and all downsizing does is reduce your options when patching. Unless you live in a caravan there's no reason not to expand your rack FOREVER

It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
cptnal
Ten minutes seems a bit soon to be crying fail. You're probably patching your new tiny system with your old monster system head. I'd imagine it's a bit of a culture shock.

Embrace your inner noob and approach it like, "so, how does all this stuff work?"

This is fun!
ranix
when I want quick I break out the battery powered keyboards and just set them up on the floor and expand to the modular if I feel like it

the batteries are a pain in the ass but it's worth it for the freedom

I also have some normalled routes in the synth that break open when I insert a patch cable into the jack. And a patch bay dedicated to the mixer so I can plug anything into it quickly and easily without floor diving. And my cabinets each have their own power supply. So powering up only small sections of the synth is possible.

UNpatching the last patch is hard for me, because it is so convenient to grow I often grow too large and end up with a bird's nest
mousegarden
I'm honing it, putting things back I thought I could do without, and taking things out I thought I would need but still don't, ever, like VCA's and EG's, I know this is an old chestnut, but I believe there are two definite schools of Wiggler, those who use VCA's, and those who don't.
Parnelli
Look at the bright side... you still have them to take out at least, and don't have to re-purchase them! thumbs up
mousegarden
Parnelli wrote:
Look at the bright side... you still have them to take out at least, and don't have to re-purchase them! thumbs up

Yeah, no point in selling if you don't have to, just bung them in a box.
peanut
wait, people who don't use VCAs!? who are these people and how do they get by without em?
Parnelli
mousegarden wrote:
Parnelli wrote:

Yeah, no point in selling if you don't have to, just bung them in a box.

Yeah, after saying I wouldn't ever do that I finally did with one module to make some room for others. d'oh!

I also said I wouldn't sell any but....
captjrab
If your rack isnt doing what you thought, do something else. I often will start with an idea and 5 minutes later am off in the wilderness somewhere never to return. Pretty standard operating procedure really.
racooniac
i've filled now my first case with 208hp worth of modules that i've heavely theorycrafted about over the course of ~6months only to realize moments afterwards that i would really like to use a combination of S+H and a quantizer and i have only a disting which can do either or ... theorycrafting isnt really worth it for further down the road than maybe 1 or 2 modules ahead imho.
Futuresound
I have 6 digital oscillators capable of producing an astonishing array of novel and harmonically rich waveforms.

I have realized again in the past few weeks that I actually prefer simple analog waveforms, mixed and preferably overdriven to taste through analog circuitry.

seriously, i just don't get it

But, I'm also making some great music, so for now I'm going to roll with it, and try to only replace modules when I'm actually not happy with the music I'm making with them.
tarmoog
racooniac wrote:
i've filled now my first case with 208hp worth of modules that i've heavely theorycrafted about over the course of ~6months only to realize moments afterwards that i would really like to use a combination of S+H and a quantizer and i have only a disting which can do either or ... theorycrafting isnt really worth it for further down the road than maybe 1 or 2 modules ahead imho.

I guess there is internal voice always saying "what if I had that one extra module in my system.. then I would be able to do this and this... so on"

I wouldn't say that theorycrafting is useless, but it takes a lot of experience and mistakes to learn from to make a simulation of modules interacting together in your head and to be even close to real world application.

For someone that is just starting out and planning out their first purchases. Theorycrafting might not help much.
racooniac
tarmoog wrote:
I wouldn't say that theorycrafting is useless, but it takes a lot of experience and mistakes to learn from to make a simulation of modules interacting together in your head and to be even close to real world application.

yeah this, since i came from a more traditional subtractive soft-synth world my previous experience didnt really let me consider s+h or quantizers as so important as they can be (i thought that to learn about those further concepts a disting is enough missing the point i could not try to combine 2 functions together that i only have available in form of disting algos like s+h and quantizing)

at least it had enough vcas, attenuverters, clock divider, random sources and even a sequential switch, i could've done worse for a noob xD
ranix
I got kind of lucky when I got into this because I was mostly interested in the simple vco -> vcf -> vca -> out patch with two envelopes to modulate.

If you start with just that you can grow in whatever ways are interesting to you specifically. I would really stay away from exotic modules like maths or any module that does more than one thing if you plug it in differently or flip a bunch of switches.

I think Doepfer does a pretty good job teaching through their interfaces. But 5u format is the king of interfaces.
AW198
ranix wrote:
I would really stay away from exotic modules like maths or any module that does more than one thing if you plug it in differently or flip a bunch of switches.

Goodbye, 90% of eurorack hihi
erstlaub
racooniac wrote:

You've investigated the clocked mode of Disting's quantizer right? That basically does exactly what a combination of S+H and a quantizer does.
racooniac
erstlaub wrote:
racooniac wrote:

You've investigated the clocked mode of Disting's quantizer right? That basically does exactly what a combination of S+H and a quantizer does.

jep i used the clocked quantizer on the disting for what i tried to do, its at least one channel of the combo of functions i wanted, i just cant grab the "s+h out before its quantized to modulate other things" because i have no s+h output i could grab ;o)

and since the disting is only on its quantizer 95% of the time i want to "free the disting again" by getting a dedicated quantizer, and while i am at it i think a 2hp s+h is never a bad idea wink
mousegarden
Futuresound wrote:
I have 6 digital oscillators capable of producing an astonishing array of novel and harmonically rich waveforms.

I have realized again in the past few weeks that I actually prefer simple analog waveforms, mixed and preferably overdriven to taste through analog circuitry.

seriously, i just don't get it

But, I'm also making some great music, so for now I'm going to roll with it, and try to only replace modules when I'm actually not happy with the music I'm making with them.

Yes, I realised a long time ago that analogue is where modular is at, I've got other stuff that does digital well.
I always gravitate to rich thick muddy distant sounding modular analogue, and it's beautiful, for me this is why I have it, for those magical deep forest and unexplainably mysterious modular worlds.
TEKBRAIN
peanut wrote:
wait, people who don't use VCAs!? who are these people and how do they get by without em?

Drones!
Infinity Curve
In these situations, you need to change your mindset. Don't approach the rack with an expectation of the sounds you want, explore and talk to it and see what kind of voice it responds with. The machine is smarter than you, don't let yourself hold it back.

Also, I used to be the same way with VCA's, but get that out of your head. Espeically in a smaller system, they can bring things to life. Remember, it doesn't have to be used in your audio signal path. Use it with cv, use it to open and close feedback paths, it doesn't need to be an end of chain for a voice at all. Even with drone, add a few VCA's here and there and you can take what would be a mostly static patch and turn it into a soundscape!
mousegarden
TEKBRAIN wrote:
peanut wrote:

Drones!

I ad interest to my drones using LFO's and random sources, I find them more spontaneous and intuitive than working out how to setup VCA's. I can understand the application of VCA's in this type of situation, but they're too fiddly and involve too much thought in the moments of inspiration, but that's just lazy old me.
cptnal
mousegarden wrote:
TEKBRAIN wrote:
peanut wrote:

Drones!

I ad interest to my drones using LFO's and random sources, I find them more spontaneous and intuitive than working out how to setup VCA's. I can understand the application of VCA's in this type of situation, but they're too fiddly and involve too much thought in the moments of inspiration, but that's just lazy old me.

Wondering what's fiddly about turning things up and down. seriously, i just don't get it
loydb
I do stuff like re-arrange a case and then realize it has no envelopes. Ooops.
mousegarden
cptnal wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
TEKBRAIN wrote:
peanut wrote:

Drones!

Wondering what's fiddly about turning things up and down. seriously, i just don't get it

Ha Ha! Well, it's more than just bunging a plug in an output and seeing what happens to an input with VCA's, also, they don't make any noise by themselves...

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2