MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good+Affordable Basimilus Iteritas Alter sequencing options?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Good+Affordable Basimilus Iteritas Alter sequencing options?
Voltcontrol
Love the Malekko Varigate8+ & Voltage Block setup to sequence the Basimilus Iteritas Alter, but that's outside of my budget.

What do you reckon will give great complex dancefloor techno results at a more modest budget?
InnnerSight
My choice would be the MFB SEQ-03, you could sequence the hell out of the Basimilus with that.
Aaronautical001
Triggerman Rockin' Banana!
rnordac
I use my Korg SQ-1 which provides gate sequencing and can do two independent lanes of cv, it's super fun and playable. I bet two of them would be the most dynamic sequencing solution you could find for 200 dollars. And they don't take up any room in your case :~)

Now I want to get a second SQ-1
pre55ure
BIA really really comes alive when you can feed it more than 1 sequenced cv source. The voltage block almost seems like it was made just for the task.
You don't have to pair it with the varigate, any clock source can be used to clock it. By itself I think it's actually a very nicely priced sequencer.

There really isn't much else that is going to be cheaper and get you multiple cv outs at the same time.

The Eloquencer, The Fluxus one, and the ER-101 can all do multiple sequences at the same time, but they are all more expensive than the voltage block.
MutantLabs
rnordac wrote:
I use my Korg SQ-1 which provides gate sequencing and can do two independent lanes of cv, it's super fun and playable. I bet two of them would be the most dynamic sequencing solution you could find for 200 dollars. And they don't take up any room in your case :~)

+1! That's what I use. One 16 step gate + CV sequence or 2x8 steps. Or one 8 step row and one 7 step row for polyrhythmic stuff is dope.

rnordac wrote:

Now I want to get a second SQ-1

I got another one long time ago but actually forgot that I bought it eek!. But I found it unpacked somewhere and now it's great to have two of them.
starthief
Pam's New Workout does pretty well, and I expect Mimetic Digitalis will work nicely with it.
uniquepersonno2
DJ Tech Tools has Beatstep Pros on sale for $150, that would pair really nicely with a BIA.
Multi Grooves
James Husted's Synthwerks 4x4 would be perfect, it is on the larger side but that makes its ergonomics much better. Post Modular carries stock iirc.
Heliophile
Maybe a second hand Varigate 4, paired with an MI Shades? You could trigger the BIA with one channel from the Varigate 4 and use the other 3 channnels of gates for modulation. Shades would help you attenuvert those modulations.
Numanoid92
Mutable Instruments Grids or maybe something like Noise Engineering Numeric Repetition
InnnerSight
pre55ure wrote:

There really isn't much else that is going to be cheaper and get you multiple cv outs at the same time.

The SEQ-03 has eight CV outs each of which can be configured to run at different multiples of the clock, can be randomised and be different lengths. Its pretty flexible and cheap.

I used it here as the sole source of modulation for the harmonic oscillator and ATC.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/ghost-spinor/harmonic-osc-2[/s]
bougie
varigate 4+ with a pressure points and brains?
calvinsomething
The Mimetic Digitalis for CV and whatever for triggers.
Trebbers
Second hand Audio Damage Sequencer 1. CV/gate plus 3 very flexable modulation outputs.
Vokx
Looks like the Mimetic Digitalis is made for this job. I'm gonna buy it as soon as it's available, primarily to modulate my BIA.

Reasonably priced I think with an expected MSRP of $255.
tauburn
I currently use varigate 4 mostly. Along with that Just Friends and Sputnik WCRS. I'm definitely going to order the Mimetic Digitalis the moment it becomes available though.
Voltcontrol
I really like the idea of the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis and also like the Shakmat Four Bricks Rook, but somehow the UI of the MFB seems safer and more playable live (also still like the Malekko very much by the way).

So far more thinking, reading and listerning has lead me to the following setup. Am I crazy? Anything that screams out to be changed in your opinion?
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4
Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Erica Synths Pico Drums
MFB SEQ-03 Step Sequencer
Make Noise Rosie

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/603379
MarcelP
Voltcontrol wrote:
Am I crazy? Anything that screams out to be changed in your opinion?
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4
Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Erica Synths Pico Drums
MFB SEQ-03 Step Sequencer
Make Noise Rosie

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/603379

In my opinion - and it is merely an opinion, that belongs to me, but which I will share because you did ask....and you want me to be honest, otherwise you wouldn't have asked...and bear in mind I am sat, bored, in a hotel room in France...

The MFB SEQ-03 looks really uninspiring and unplayable as a live sequencer. It would be like trying to play a piano through a hole in the keyboard lid. Surely you want access to as many parameters as possible all of the time. Knobs, lots of knobs, sensibly arrayed in front of you - all ready to be twiddled and twisted in the ecstasy of the moment.

Why the Rosie? I seriously don't get what the heck the point of that thing is. There I let it out - been wanting to say that for 18 months - I feel better now.

BIA and Pico are both great, I have one of each and they are a pair of the most immediately fun sound generating modules. BUT.....they need driving with some interesting/complex/shifting rhythms and the BIA sucks up modulation (be it sequence/LFO/envelopes) like a.... really absorbent thing that...drinks a lot...

I like to feed them with a combo of: Trigger Riot, Z8000, PAMs, Numeric Repetitor, Confundo Funkitus, then feed the BIA and Pico into 2hp Freeze, Chronoblob, a filter or two...maybe Clouds...

In short - restricting yourself to such a small rack seems.... so limiting. Modular for me, ('cause this is all about me isn't it?) is about a wide range of choice that gives you the possibility to create and shape your instrument to be a finely honed musical tool that gives you the freedom to express yourself. Surely its not about the minimum you can get away with in the smallest box you can find? I mean, I like minimal - I have seen Steve Reich perform clapping live - but this is like clapping with one hand tied behind your back....

Sorry, got carried away there, I am less bored now though...

On a more practical note: you could get the BIA and Pico, maybe an envelope or two (that can cycle as an LFO) but drive the whole lot with a Beatstep Pro - bearing in mind that if you attenuate some of the gate outputs of the BSP they can act as sort of 2 level voltage sequencers... in fact if you ran the drum gates into a 4x4 matrix mixer you could get a really interesting sequencer-esque set of rhythmic voltages to stick in the BIA... Think outside the box (especially if you are in a small one).

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1