MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Very slow LFO?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Very slow LFO?
zorglub76
I'm searching for a DIY LFO that would be very slow - up to at least 30s for a single oscillation (0.03Hz).

Befaco Rampage does a good job at that, but I usually need it for something else, that's why I'm looking for a dedicated (preferably smallish) LFO.

Any suggestions?
pieter
Does it need to be regular? The various Sloth chaotic LFOs are very slow. 4hp as well, doesn't get much smaller than that.
zorglub76
Hmm, Sloth looks very interesting. I'll probably get that, but I'd also like a regular one.

I see that NLCs Dual LFO goes to 0.02Hz, but I don't like the range - you turn potentiometer just a little, and you're already in 1Hz area (and it goes to 830Hz)... If its range was 1Hz to 0.02Hz, it would be perfect.
pieter
zorglub76 wrote:
Hmm, Sloth looks very interesting. I'll probably get that, but I'd also like a regular one.

I see that NLCs Dual LFO goes to 0.02Hz, but I don't like the range - you turn potentiometer just a little, and you're already in 1Hz area (and it goes to 830Hz)... If its range was 1Hz to 0.02Hz, it would be perfect.

If it's DIY, can you not adjust the pot value to get the range you like?
nostalghia
You might check out the Frequency Central Wave Runner.
Just 4hp, 8 waveforms, goes down to .025 hz, up to 50hz. Syncs to clock, built in multiplier. DIY or assembled.
organon
Cwejman DLFO
rew_
organon wrote:
Cwejman DLFO

I love all these threads where the OP asks for a cheap and/or DIY module that does [whatever] and within the first 10 responses someone says CWEJMAN.
Blairio
pieter wrote:
Does it need to be regular? The various Sloth chaotic LFOs are very slow. 4hp as well, doesn't get much smaller than that.

Remember also that Sloths have two modulation outputs, one slightly faster than the other. I have a Sloth, and I use its X & Y outputs to modulate Timbre and Color of my Braids patches. Wonderfully slow and organic shifts in sound can be had. Also, these modules are seriously good value.
organon
rew_ wrote:
organon wrote:
Cwejman DLFO

I love all these threads where the OP asks for a cheap and/or DIY module that does [whatever] and within the first 10 responses someone says CWEJMAN.

well then i am glad you found another one.
Jumbuktu
I got my first sloth after asking the same question.

Not DIY and not so cheap, but Contour will go slow and it has four function generators.
zorglub76
pieter wrote:
If it's DIY, can you not adjust the pot value to get the range you like?

I'm pretty much a noob in field of electronics. I guess I could change the pot to something huge, but I'm not sure whether that would mess something else in the circuit.. I don't know.. I have Erica Synths LFO that is pretty much useless for me because of the range. I might try to modify it.

EDIT: Ok, I tried adding resistors in series to the pot of my LFO and it works decently. Now I just need to find 4.7M potentiometer...
philiprst
Probably not exactly what you are looking for but you might be interested in checking out the circuit for a simple relaxation oscillator:

http://www.analogzoo.com/2015/01/relaxation-oscillator-design/

It's a very simple DIY project.
zorglub76
philiprst wrote:
Probably not exactly what you are looking for but you might be interested in checking out the circuit for a simple relaxation oscillator:

http://www.analogzoo.com/2015/01/relaxation-oscillator-design/

It's a very simple DIY project.

That is, actually, very interesting. I've always wanted to get into learning circuit design, but I always wonder why the existing LFOs have much more elements than what's in the schematics on that page. I'm tempted to make e.g. 4 LFO's in 4HP using that design, but what are the drawbacks? What would I miss?
damase
Ieaskul f mobenthey denum goes pretty slow. I havent tested but it seems like 30s is achievable. My favorite lfo, very dynamic
wsy
How about 0.1 Hz to 0.000001 Hz?

Eminently doable on an Arduino with minimal external circuitry. As in one cap and one resistor. Or two caps and an an
inductor for the oooh-sooo-smooth 2nd order filter.

You don't have to actually build it either - just get yourself an ARDCORE and modify the LFO to clock slower. In fact, I think you
could change it a bit and make it go all the way down to 0.00000 Hz exactly.

EDIT: You could also do it with a Circuit Abbey EuroDuino.

- Bill
mskala
I sell kits for an eight-output fixed-frequency sine LFO whose lowest frequency (depending on build options) is 63s. Although the kit BOM alone doesn't work for this, it would be easy to substitute other values I don't include for the resistors and capacitors on the faster outputs, to make all the output frequencies in the 30s-or-lower range, or add some slower than 63s. You could either modify a kit, or source your own components to do a fully DIY build from the schematics and board designs I publish.
naturarerum
It's not a dedicated LFO module, but it does what you need and is a great DIY project: ornament and crime (quadraturia app).

Sidenote: I think it's the slowest LFO in eurorack; if you select the slowest range (cosmological), and then divide the frequency by 16 (it's a quadrature LFO), you get a cycle of 1136 hours, or 48 days. I've been wondering what use I could make of that...
dooj88
rew_ wrote:
organon wrote:
Cwejman DLFO

It's the Ferrari of eurorack. If someone owns one, it WILL come up in conversation and you will be told how much you should get one. [oh what? you're too poor for a Ferrari?]
pugix
The slowest LFO I have would probably be the Serge SSG.

http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs92_ssg.html

In the SSG the same circuit is used to implement sample and hold. Oscillators I build based on the SSG go extremely slowly, as if holding. However, I haven't measured it.

I also second the Denum, a triangle wave oscillator with three ranges that overlap.
Clacky
naturarerum wrote:
It's not a dedicated LFO module, but it does what you need and is a great DIY project: ornament and crime (quadraturia app).

O & C, for sure!
Grumble
If you want to go REAL DIY you could take an arduino (pic or whatever) and program an Analog Devices DDS, e.g. the AD9833 (my favorite I use it all the time, breakout board available from around 2.5€ @ Alieexpress)
feeding from the clock of the arduino (16MHz) it kan go down to about 0.0596Hz, which is also the smallest stap to the next frequency.
This little bugger can put out sine, tri and square (NOT at the same time).
ADIsimDDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) online demo
Lowering the clock frequency to 1 MHz will let the lowest frequency be 0.003Hz
arthurdent
dooj88 wrote:
rew_ wrote:
organon wrote:
Cwejman DLFO

It's the Ferrari of eurorack. If someone owns one, it WILL come up in conversation and you will be told how much you should get one. [oh what? you're too poor for a Ferrari?]

IMO, it's more of an availability issue than cost. They aren't turned out on an assembly line and people that do have them tend to hold on to them. Kinda like Modcan stuff.
Navs
zorglub76 wrote:
... I tried adding resistors in series to the pot of my LFO and it works decently. Now I just need to find 4.7M potentiometer...

How about changing the timing capacitor?

Depending on the build of the LFO, it's a simple mod, usually far easier than changing a pot. If there is space on the front panel for a switch, you could select between, say, three values/ranges.
Flexyflier
Blairio wrote:
pieter wrote:

Remember also that Sloths have two modulation outputs, one slightly faster than the other. I have a Sloth, and I use its X & Y outputs to modulate Timbre and Color of my Braids patches. Wonderfully slow and organic shifts in sound can be had. Also, these modules are seriously good value.

Love mine!
Timmy
Clacky wrote:
naturarerum wrote:

O & C, for sure!

The looping envelope types in the Piqued app in O&C also allow it to act as 4 independent, although slightly unconventional, LFOs, each separately voltage controllable, with time ranges so that they can be made to run very slowly, and with control over segment shapes so you can get sine, ramp, triangle and square waves if you want, and many more unusual wave shapes besides (the wiggly or Big Dipper envelope segment shapes work well in a slow LFO arrangement). And the Quadraturia app does quadrature wavetable LFO, down to very slow speeds, as already mentioned. And lots of other apps useful for drones etc, including dual Lorenz or Rössler attractors, quad bouncing ball bursts (can be very slow), and so on - see http://ornament-and-cri.me

About US$120 or so in parts if you shop carefully, if DIYing, or about $220 or so pre-built. 14HP and 8HP versions (identical functionality).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1