MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shapeshifter chord mode question?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Shapeshifter chord mode question?
insoul8
I’ve noticed that when I use chord mode on the shapeshifter and detune the oscillators a bit, it seems to introduce quite a bit of noise/distortion in the sound, especially when going through my Jove filter. Any idea what may be causing this? I don’t even have drive turned up. It’s definitely more pronounced going into the Jove on 24db low pass but still present in the 12db as well. I’m sure it’s something I’m missing though so I thought I’d check. Thanks.
Dcramer
How much are you detuning?
I find that I really need to watch my gain when using chord mode into a filter or anything else really.
The beating of all the harmonics can easily create jumps in gain that can overdrive filters, VCAs, and effects in bad sounding ways.
Unlike a single wave from a mono osc, which sounds great with a little saturation, the poly chord osc really needs more headroom. thumbs up
insoul8
Dcramer wrote:
How much are you detuning?
I find that I really need to watch my gain when using chord mode into a filter or anything else really.
The beating of all the harmonics can easily create jumps in gain that can overdrive filters, VCAs, and effects in bad sounding ways.
Unlike a single wave from a mono osc, which sounds great with a little saturation, the poly chord osc really needs more headroom. thumbs up

I can start hearing some distortion with detune set at like 3. You kind of confirmed what i was already thinking but i also spoke to someone else with a shapeshifter and a jove (same filter as me) and they do not experience any distortion in chord mode even when running through the 24db lp filter. I'll keep fiddling with it when i get home later to see if i can make any sense of it.
joskery
One gotcha:

Check if moda is turned up even a bit. If it’s modulating, say, shape 1, that can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Of course you’ve probably already checked, but if your friend’s setup doesn’t distort, maybe the cause to your distortion could be something that’s being overlooked.
insoul8
joskery wrote:
One gotcha:

Check if moda is turned up even a bit. If it’s modulating, say, shape 1, that can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Of course you’ve probably already checked, but if your friend’s setup doesn’t distort, maybe the cause to your distortion could be something that’s being overlooked.

Yea, I did make sure all pots were turned down and loaded my default patch but I'm going to fiddle with that more when i get home to make sure i didn't miss anything. When chord mode is turned off, i also get a completely clean sine in my oscilloscope, so i think it's all set correctly. sad banana
joskery
Hope you find the root cause! Will check at home on my module, too.
insoul8
joskery wrote:
Hope you find the root cause! Will check at home on my module, too.

Thanks. The guys at System80 checked the specs of the Shapeshifter and noted that the outputs are indeed pretty hot (12V pp- and even up to 16V pp with wavefolding) so it could be clipping. They gave me some tests to run later which I will try in a more systematic approach. I figured this could be it but i since others I've spoken to haven't noted the issue with their Shapeshifter/Jove combo, it has me wondering. If I'm not able to get anywhere, I may get in touch with Intellijel as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1