MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expressive Interfaces/Controllers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Expressive Interfaces/Controllers
rishin
Hi!

Do you guys think there's room for innovation in the modular sub-domain of expressive interfaces/controllers? Typically, we use things like keyboards, touch surfaces, theremins etc. (there may be more that I'm not aware of) to control our parameters in real-time. Within the acoustic domain of music, articulations such as bowing, plucking, and blowing, to name a few, allow for musicians to align the movements of the rhythm and music with the movements of their physicalities.

I was wondering what kind of innovation you all have seen within this domain and if you think there's a need for further innovation. Do you think more acoustically oriented articulations don't align with the philosophy of modular music? Personally I think it'd be awesome to pair expressive controllers with physical-modeling oriented modules such as Plonk or Elements to steer systems towards electro-acoustic sounding music.

Thanks!
Dave Peck
Sure, using various types of real time expressive controllers to be used either in conjunction with a keyboard or as an alternative to a keyboard to control and modulate synth patches (physical modeling or other) can yield some really great results.

There already are a number of small companies or independent designers who work in this area and offer various products to fill this niche, like Roli, Starrlabs, Linnstrument, wind controllers from Akai and Yamaha, the Touche from ExpressivE, the Eigenharp, etc. but it's a wide open field and there's certainly room for more innovation.
Parnelli
We are only limited by our imagination.

Well that, and perhaps our budget as well.

Saw a video on another thread of a young man with aluminum foil wrapped around drumsticks he attached wires to hitting various other wired devices, including an aluminum covered hard hat, to make triggers.
ersatzplanet
We (Synthwerks, LLC) make a whole line of Force Sensing Resistor basted controllers for modulars. We have single channel and quad versions.

rishin
Dave Peck wrote:
Sure, using various types of real time expressive controllers to be used either in conjunction with a keyboard or as an alternative to a keyboard to control and modulate synth patches (physical modeling or other) can yield some really great results.

There already are a number of small companies or independent designers who work in this area and offer various products to fill this niche, like Roli, Starrlabs, Linnstrument, wind controllers from Akai and Yamaha, the Touche from ExpressivE, the Eigenharp, etc. but it's a wide open field and there's certainly room for more innovation.
Wow that Eigenharp looks killer but sadly .

ersatzplanet wrote:
We (Synthwerks, LLC) make a whole line of Force Sensing Resistor basted controllers for modulars. We have single channel and quad versions.
These look amazing, thanks!
R.U.Nuts
I'm dreaming of a kite with acceleration sensors attached to it which then controls a synth. That would be equally awesome and spectacular. Imagine controlling your synth with a kite. can someone please make that? I'm too stupid to do it myself.
rishin
R.U.Nuts wrote:
I'm dreaming of a kite with acceleration sensors attached to it which then controls a synth. That would be equally awesome and spectacular. Imagine controlling your synth with a kite. can someone please make that? I'm too stupid to do it myself.
It'd be like the wind was playing the synth. Humans are worthless performers in the eyes of Mother Nature Dead Banana
R.U.Nuts
rishin wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:
It'd be like the wind was playing the synth. Humans are worthless performers in the eyes of Mother Nature Dead Banana

Actually you would be interacting with the wind unless you dare to try it in a hurricane.
Parnelli
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Ok, so you put one of those small anemometers on it with an output transducer to make the signal modular capable, then you put a number of tails on the kite with contacts on them for triggers; when two tails bump together you get an output, think wind chimes...

Now all we have to do is figure out how to fly it with a small cable instead of a string.... thumbs up
captjrab
I was thinking of hooking up a barometric sensor to my Fieldkit and listenig to the weather modulating my synth patches. New twist on meterology.
R.U.Nuts
Parnelli wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

Ok, so you put one of those small anemometers on it with an output transducer to make the signal modular capable, then you put a number of tails on the kite with contacts on them for triggers; when two tails bump together you get an output, think wind chimes...

Now all we have to do is figure out how to fly it with a small cable instead of a string.... thumbs up

I don't understand a word but one day I'll do this I promise.
AW198
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Parnelli wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:

I don't understand a word but one day I'll do this I promise.

hihi
Parnelli
A+ for effort! applause
emilng
There's always room for innovation in terms of controller for sending information to a modular and for receiving information from a modular.

In terms of controlling a modular from an external source there's https://www.midisprout.com/ for using biometric information from a plant.

In terms of controlling an external sound generator, why settle for physical modeling when you can generate sound directly from hitting a physical surface? http://polyend.com/perc-pro-drumming-machine/
mekohler
I've been wanting an Ondes-style ribbon controller (with string) for a long time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1