MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fun With Walnut
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fun With Walnut
chromium
In the continuing saga of five ewes gone wild screaming goo yo... I accidentially a 110 oops

Synthbaron really helped me out by selling me a 44spc cab and was willing to ship this huge bastard cross country. The cab was well loved with its share of road rash (and some extra holes from those s.com mounting brackets)

This last weekend, I busted out the wood filler, a fine point sharpie (I use that to draw grain patterns on the filler), some oil-based "Dark Walnut" stain (Ace Hardware #1160449 - almost perfect match to the minwax walnut that they use on these), and Deft clear satin lacquer and did kind of a quick/half-ass refin hitting the big stuff on the top and sides. Moved the feets to the other side too, so I could invert the cab:

This cab is going to be for (mostly) DIY stuff that's been piling up while I finish some school obligations (in fact, I'm putting off writing a paper at this very moment in order to type this This is fun! ). I have a Q137 and a small power one supply that I'll wire in there. Figure I'll run this one on separate power for those times when the DIY endeavors end poorly.

Still need to devise and rig up some brackets/fasteners on the back so this thing doesn't capsize and maim me.

The nice thing is that, with exception of the bottom cabs and the UEGs, almost everything else has come from fellow Wigglers! Cheers to you, and to the most dangerous forum classifieds e v a r

Never maintain cash savings again
Just me
Looking good! I know what you mean about the most dangerous for sale forum. Over 80% of my stuff is previously played.
rezzn8r
thumbs up
looks great. nice job.
SynthBaron
Nice!
emdot_ambient
Beauty!
sduck
Looks great! Hope you find a good solution to supporting that top cabinet.

And I like seeing that pair of Ibanez musicians - I used to have one of those guitars for a while.
JohnLRice
Looks awesome!
bwhittington
Niiice, Joe! Keith Emerson would be proud. Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian
russma
Quote:
...Still need to devise and rig up some brackets/fasteners on the back so this thing doesn't capsize and maim me...

I recommend an elaborate series of trusses, cantilevers and flying buttresses (buttrii?)

thumbs up
Just me
Duct tape?!
chromium
sduck wrote:
And I like seeing that pair of Ibanez musicians - I used to have one of those guitars for a while.

Oh I love that old Ibanez/Greco/Roland/FujiGen stuff w00t Got one of the Roland G-88 basses, and a strat-esque G-505 kicking around here too. Bass is my main thing- only ever gigged on bass, but fumble around on guitar/keys/patchcords/other for my own amusement and the dismay of family/neighbors/small mammals

chromium
bwhittington wrote:
Niiice, Joe! Keith Emerson would be proud. Mr. Green

Cheers,
Brian

hihi

Keith loves the wood! Mr. Green eek!

chromium
idiotboy wrote:
Quote:
...Still need to devise and rig up some brackets/fasteners on the back so this thing doesn't capsize and maim me...

I recommend an elaborate series of trusses, cantilevers and flying buttresses (buttrii?)

thumbs up

Oh yes - I envision a vast network of flying buttrii! Or even fixed buttrii for that matter.

(wait- does Ace sell buttrii? hmmm.....)
dude
nice dix, er i mean pix... Dead Banana
Bob Borries
I always thought Emerson was bigger than Wakeman.
bwhittington
Bob Borries wrote:
I always thought Emerson was bigger than Wakeman.

Are we still talking about wood? woah

Cheers,
Brian
chromium
With regard to securing wood (in absence of any leather pants), I was thinking about mounting some "hangers for threaded rod" on the top cab:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#beam-brackets/=857qum

...spin some allthread into them, slip the other end of the allthread into brackets mounted down at the rear of the keyboard garage, and secure the allthread with bolts. Probably mount two or three of these supports along the back of the whole setup. It'll always be smack up against the wall like that, so I'm really only worried about it tipping forward when pulling patch cables.

Any other ideas on that?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for nifty lighting? I was thinking about mounting/hardwiring in some snake lights (or other ideas?) on the top cab.

S'pose I could always go for the Duke of New York look with some chandeliers, if all else fails... hmmm.....

kindredlost
I have 4 portable dotcom cabs and I have had them on a shelf with a wall-mounted bracket. There was nothing bolted to the cabinets, it was just bolted to the wall to keep the cabinets from tilting forward while patching.

I used those expanding bolts (molly bolts or anchor bolts in the US) and the brackets have a drilled hole in them to run the bolt through.

Here is a drawing.

It is made of a metal strip about 1/2" wide X 1/8" thick X 8" long. I bought them at Lowe's hardware store, sawed to length and bent them with a hammer in a vise, then drilled the hole and painted them. Took about an hour.

I still use these and they are attached to my flying butresses that support the modular on top of my rolling racks.

From the Front

An old picture, but you get the idea.

Of course if your wife gets miffed at the idea of a hole in the wall for the brackets then you're better off dead with the modular on top of you.

-david
russma
Whoa, nice setup, kindred!
essex sound lab
Edit: I'm an idiot.
doctorvague
@Chromium - great job!
Quote:
Still need to devise and rig up some brackets/fasteners on the back so this thing doesn't capsize and maim me.

Yeah you better secure your shit somehow or you'll be wearing that top cab like a size 44 hat. Alas, poor Chromium, we knew him well.Dead Banana
When you get that flipped cab on top it really starts getting the spaceship cockpit vibe. Hell you got room for a flatscreen in there. Interesting your shit up, what the hell, you got room. Play videos on it that look like the view from a spaceship portal. No doubt someone's already done that, it's too obvious. Mr. Green

@Kindredlost - David your studio is gorgeous! Wow, really great vibe at least what the photo shows. I don't think I've ever seen that angle view or must have missed it. I'd jam with ya anytime.

Cool thread.

Today's bonus random emoticon Lisa Simpson
chromium
doctorvague wrote:
When you get that flipped cab on top it really starts getting the spaceship cockpit vibe. Hell you got room for a flatscreen in there. Interesting your shit up, what the hell, you got room. Play videos on it that look like the view from a spaceship portal.

Hmm.. space portal views on a flat panel?

Hey if I put that sucker on endless loop, it'll pretty much guarantee that my wife won't ever come into the room and notice anchor holes in the walls! screaming goo yo
chromium
kindredlost wrote:
wall-mounted brackets

Thanks! That gave me some ideas, and there are quite a few studs in that wall that I could leverage to mount brackets securely.

Mostly, I'm impressed that you actually have flying buttresses! eek! SlayerBadger! Great looking setup, and smart use of space.
dude
that was one fuck of a dance trooop
doctorvague
chromium wrote:
Hey if I put that sucker on endless loop, it'll pretty much guarantee that my wife won't ever come into the room and notice anchor holes in the walls! screaming goo yo

Just you and your space-fortress. Keeping the space-time continuum safe from non-mayhem.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2