MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

midi to cv of synthi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author midi to cv of synthi
ix
Got a newish vcs3 with the 10 turn dial and 100k resitor cables but can i get the thing doing anything close to resembling western tuning , its amazing for terry riley or persian styles smile....wondering what i am doing wrong as it just wont seem to track beyond about 4 notes and thats on a good day .

Does the synthi with a 10 turn dial for scaling and the ems cables with resistors still need a special cv voltage sent ?
papz
Oscillators 1 and 2 in a good working properly calibrated VCS3 or Synthi A track on about 5 octaves up and 3 octaves down (negative CV) with the vernier dial set to around 5 in western equal temperament.

The 100k resistor in the cable avoids overdriving the input amp.
Do you well mean it has a 10 turn input level pot or is it how you call the oscillator vernier dial (whose ratio is actually 4, not 10) ? The 10 turn input level pot helps accurate scaling of the incoming CV.
With a normal single turn input level pot, it is tricky to tweak but that's possible, around 6 for western equal temperament in 1V/oct.
ix
papz wrote:
Oscillators 1 and 2 in a good working properly calibrated VCS3 or Synthi A track on about 5 octaves up and 3 octaves down (negative CV) with the vernier dial set to around 5 in western equal temperament.

The 100k resistor in the cable avoids overdriving the input amp.
Do you well mean it has a 10 turn input level pot or is it how you call the oscillator vernier dial (whose ratio is actually 4, not 10) ? The 10 turn input level pot helps accurate scaling of the incoming CV.
With a normal single turn input level pot, it is tricky to tweak but that's possible, around 6 for western equal temperament in 1V/oct.

yeah its the 1O turn pot on ch1 input for cv scaling i have , still seems very hard to get it tracking over any decent range , 2 oct with be nice.... , i think i must be doing something really wrong and i will try another cable or 2 i think , its a new vcs3 with 2 cables robin provided with resistors built in for cv / scaling he said or so you can use 1v/oct cv i think....its pretty new so i do not think its the osc's . probably just me off my head ! pilot error
papz
Then I rather suspect a pilot error indeed.
What's your patch ?
Hiwatt Bob
Where do you have the CH 1 Input Level pot set? To around 6-ish?
fg
hello, i build this module midi & cv to control the synthi.

So I developed a personal interface on a base arduino nano, and a dac 4725, there is a switch that allows to choose the mode (Midi or CV gate) everything is directly powered by the cable plessey 8 channels of aks. (You have to count 20 euros of stuff including 10 just for the connector)

_In the midi mode, the seq input allows you to play the (right) notes on 4 octaves, the input 1 retrieves the velocity of the keyboard, the 2 gets the yticolev a reversed curve in sum, the note On / Off activates the envelope of synthi.
A push button flashes a led indicating the number of channel midi (this number remains in memory after shutdown) at startup this led indicates the last channel used.

_In CV mode there is, a gate input that activates the envelope of the synth and 3 cv in, only the entry seq passes through the dac so it's better to go through it at the output of a sequencer for example, the others are more for lfo ...

2 trim are to calibrate, the scale and the tune but no need to have pyrotechnics to get by one ear should suffice. (put the fine tune pot of the module at 12 o'clock, the osc of the synth towards 5.5 and adjust the trims in order to obtain a fair range)

code and schematic here --> http://pjmnc.free.fr/files/midiCVsynthi.zip

goodluck
fg
hello,

simple diagram to explain the differences between the 2 modules

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1