MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Steevio-style Eurorack Modular Live Techno System
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Steevio-style Eurorack Modular Live Techno System
tedcri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIYYuRNx7M&t=616s

In this Mylar melodies Youtube video he uses 2 sequencers and 2 precision adders. The output of both goes into the same quantizer.

I don't understand the need or benefit of two adders. Can someone please explain It's driving me mad;P

This is how they are connected: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/33924
Futuresound
That Addac207 is actually 4 quantizers in 1, so each precision adder is going to it's own quantizer.

And having two adders allows for each voice to be transposed up or down independently, or for one of the sequencers to be removed entirely from one voice if desired.
winterhater
it looks interesting for transposing one sequence by another, I dont understand why that small system has 2
mateo
Set up that way, it means each oscillator can be controlled by either sequencer or the sum of both: the toggles on each adder makes it easy to switch it up on the fly.
TemplarK
Looks like it serves two functions, one so he can switch between sequences, because the adder is also an on/off switch, also he can use more octaves, add them together, subtract them and add two seperate offsets, all of this will give him tons of different sequences he can recall by flicking switches.

Its pretty genius actually.

So over the set he can eventually take the sequence from a bass and take it up and up by fifths and 7ths and then octaves then octave + fifth and on and on

all while having some variation in the sequecnes by adding the different CV's together. Its actially a killer little idea damn i'm going to have to try that out!

I "think" this is whats happening anyway maybe Mylar himself will drop in and tell us "everything" thats happening there!

edit - Heres where the concept comes from so watch this its where Mylar got those ideas. Also as already pointed out the quantiser is a one in 4 so its two seperate sequences i think but watching steevio he seesm to be using them in a even crazier way. Really interesting stuff actually that Steevio track sounds awesome i have to admit!

manicstarseed
Templar pretty well nailed it.
I am pretty new to this (first post), and am only 4 months into modular. I based my rig on Mylar's implementation. I love the steer-ablity of the concept.
I too am interested in 100% live jams. I am using an O_C and it's ability to auto-generate melodies frees up the 8-step sequencers for other tasks. One can drive (4) quantized CVs with as many triggers and inputs available, r=the minimum is one trigger.

Precision adders are great. The can attenuate boost and invert in 1V increments - there are a myriad of uses, besides pitch.
Catflap
I have been using a steevio style sequencing set up for a while now.
I´m finding that when using multiple precision adders it makes more sense to view them in the same way that you use the switched multiples.

Both are used to route either CV or triggers/gates to the rest of the system.

If you limit yourself to 1 Precision Adder you only really have 1 + cv to send to 3 different inputs simultaniously and 1 - cv to send to an additional single input

Add a second Precision Adder to the mix and increase both the routing and melody creating options.

Having 4 is proving really versitile for me.

If you are using them for versitile routing I recommend quantizing the CVs before they hit the Precision adders.
alanza
IMO, the secret sauce to the Steevio song—and the thing that makes using this system hard for someone interested in improvising a more in-genre sound—really is the thing he squeezes in right at the end: each oscillator is tuned to a different note of the chord he's interested in exploring, so the reason the piece really hits the ground running is that most of the oscillators are really only there to play their harmonic, which means that all of the craziness he's got going on is to route gates rather than pitch CV.

Beyond that, I think the reason the piece works so well and that he has enough to fill a whole set with it is because even if he doesn't touch anything, because he's working with prime numbers, the different lengths of sequencers and switches will phase and provide some extra interest.

Some problems that might arise from a techno or electro point of view with this setup is you often really want to use changes in key/melody, timbre or drum pattern to articulate a set into 'sections'. Because the oscillators are tuned to different notes, changing key is more of a headache. Steevio can change the melody or the octave, of course, but the same note has to be the root throughout the piece. Timbre changes are similarly doable, but again, to me it seems like it would be hard in this configuration to change an oscillator's role in the piece. Lastly, the reason the prime numbers so well is that the drums are mixed in with the pitched oscillators—a trigger is a trigger is a trigger, and that's how Steevio's using them. Makes for an incredibly organic sound, but then it's a lot harder to go "okay we should switch to just kick and hi hat for a breakdown feel"

I could be way off-base, of course, but I guess the above is a long way of saying it's worth remembering that the Steevio patch is a "piece" not a "groovebox." Dead Banana
pmarchitect
I don't see the point in a precision adder for melody changing. You're just going to bounce up and down several octaves no?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1