MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular 1950's Tektronix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Modular 1950's Tektronix
Wray

----
----
----
Wray
These are not mine...

Debating to buy them...

No CV of course, but I don't want CV either...

Haven't heard them yet.

Anyone has an idea how these may sound?

I know of tube amps and preamps that USA brands sound more colored and fat than the European ones, which sound more bright and sparkly.

Of course here, we're speaking about modules which were used for testing equipment, back in the good ol' '50's, so *I assume* these are not very colored. Perhaps not 'sparkly' either.
Wray
No one has experience with a tube tektronix ??
lasesentaysiete
very nice! I checked for info and found this about the 162:

Quote:
Generation of the waveform can be initiated either by means of an externally derived electrical impulse, or by means of front panel controls and switches. Pulse and gate waveforms have a minimum risetime of approximately one uS and an amplitude of 50 V.
The shortest pulse duration is approximately 10 uS
The sawtooth waveform is a positive voltage decreasing uniformly from positive 150 V to positive 20 V.

eek!

sorry I can't help you out. I have no idea how they sound.
HighLordFixer
Beautiful
they have CV all over the place....
just no pitch cv for the vco....
which is somewhat easy mod...
Wray
HighLordFixer wrote:
Beautiful
they have CV all over the place....
just no pitch cv for the vco....
which is somewhat easy mod...

I think you're right... I may still not understand the concept of CV fully oops Just like to connect some cables and see what happens. Occasionally literally vaporizing an audio channel on my mixing board... Caveman Voltage.
Wray
Some of these devices can potentially send out an amazing amount of voltage to up to 1000 volts. You can imagine what happens to yr royal mixer when they digest that. First it sounds special, than nothing. The sound of a dying fader. Happened in the heat of playing. Nowadays I have this knob fixed with cellotape. Primitive, but safe.

In my defense, I'm not alone with this. The legendary Oscar Sala got electrocuted on many occasions playing his Trautonium. Just one wrong action... Guess it keeps life exciting...
HighLordFixer
nah.. you take audio out from the VCO... it's not that bad or dangerous.. the real danger is if you have no clue and are screwing around inside that tube circuit.... besides that if it powers up and you get waveforms then it's all good... anyways... eye have smoked a channel on a real console just tabbing through setting on an Eventide Harmonizer.. Doh!
really masters if you can get it powering up...
do some research... you will figure it out... Eye would grab that in a heartbeat... and the VCO has CV in... it's just not pitch tracking friendly for music....
it works for audio range

here read this Tektronix 160 system series manual

& ponder this...

Slow‐Sweep Modification of the Tektronix Type 162 Waveform Generator

What modules and what is the asking price?

READ THE MANUAL

If you haven't been shocked then there's no real current....

It's the amps you have to worry about....
have been shocked by 40,000V...
and can still sort of type:P

guessing you have no experience with vintage electronics testing gear

no big stress

have your gain & fader at zero when first plug into mixer...
JohnLRice
Cool stuff! I know nothing about those though, I'm just eyes...
Wray
HighLordFixer wrote:
nah.. you take audio out from the VCO... it's not that bad or dangerous.. the real danger is if you have no clue and are screwing around inside that tube circuit.... besides that if it powers up and you get waveforms then it's all good... anyways... eye have smoked a channel on a real console just tabbing through setting on an Eventide Harmonizer.. Doh!
really masters if you can get it powering up...
do some research... you will figure it out... Eye would grab that in a heartbeat... and the VCO has CV in... it's just not pitch tracking friendly for music....
it works for audio range

here read this Tektronix 160 system series manual

& ponder this...

Slow‐Sweep Modification of the Tektronix Type 162 Waveform Generator

What modules and what is the asking price?

READ THE MANUAL

If you haven't been shocked then there's no real current....

It's the amps you have to worry about....
have been shocked by 40,000V...
and can still sort of type:P

guessing you have no experience with vintage electronics testing gear

no big stress

have your gain & fader at zero when first plug into mixer...

Thanks for the info... Much appreciated

Well, what is experience... I've been dabbling around with some test gear for some time and I've a small but nice collection of types which were used in the WDR studio, Mainly German and Danish stuff. Some US gear as well.

It's definitely fascinating to work with this kind of equipment. I'm much more amusician than a technician and although I work in music for 30 years, I'm blessed with a quality of no knowledge which really keeps things fresh. Downside is, I hardly know any basics. Every person here on MW can easily talk me under the table when it comes to very basic stuff ha. But happily playing along here grin

It isn't really that cheap. 1200 euro. At least the modules on the pics (161, 162, 162, 163, 360, powersupply, maybe a preamp. Hoping for more modules and for a lower price of course...
HighLordFixer
talk them down on that price.... saw that going for $300... minus the scope... for bunch of modules & the power supply
it's tube test gear...
is it verified in working condition?
those 360 scopes will be pricey yet you don't really need more than 1...
obviously you get what's up when using old test equipment
Sehr Gut!
Wray
HighLordFixer wrote:
talk them down.... saw that going for $300... minus the scope... for bunch of modules & the power supply
it's tube test gear...
is it verified in working condition?
those 360 scopes will be pricey yet you don't really need more than 1

Can I send you a pm?
HighLordFixer
ja feuer weg!
Des Teufels liebstes Möbelstück ist die lange Bank.
Wer rastet, der rostet.
razz
If you need help getting them functioning we can probably track down the schematics from tektronix...
DJFonzi
I've got a set of that stuff I've been lugging around for 25 years. One day, I'll actually fire it up!
I think I did at one point, but I only had one or two of the power supply cables. Now that we're in the internet age, maybe I can find replacements.
The Real MC
Wray wrote:
No one has experience with a tube tektronix ??

I have experience. I used to own a tube Tektronix scope.

Don't waste the money thinking about modifying them. You have to use a special silver based solder on the joints. And despite what "experts" claim otherwise, high voltages are called LETHAL for a reason.
Wray
I decided to not go further with the Tektronix set. Unfortunately te seller doesn't have the right psu (...). He thought the 125 would suffice, but this is a psu for a mic preamp and very different in topology. The 160 model is required for distributing the correct negative and positive voltages. As a chance meeting there is the same (but smaller) Tektronix 160 series (all modules above) for sale for cheap right now on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-Type-160A-161-162-163/222814804482? hash=item33e0cc1a02:g:sqYAAOSwYxBZ62oN . When one would buy this + the incomplete series from my seller (7 modules), one could potentially make a great and original modular tube system for almost nothing. The seller is open to drop his initial high price substantially. I don't have the time for such a big project though, speculating on possible technical difficulties. For anyone with the right technical background this can be quite interesting.

For anyone interested, I can forward you to the seller.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/160
http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/Tek/160.pdf
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.1717488
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1