MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Strymon Magneto eurorack module, I dare you to convert to 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Strymon Magneto eurorack module, I dare you to convert to 5U
JohnLRice
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

A very impressive looking and sounding (via online demos) delay module!
https://www.strymon.net/products/magneto/

Here's a big thread in the eurorack forum:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194989

They are starting to ship and rustyjaw just posted the backside picture below and I was pondering what it might take to convert it to 5U. On one hand most of the jacks are grouped on separate PCBs which helps make the conversion easier but it looks like there is a lot of circuitry on those PCBs, probably buffering at least and maybe mixing etc so it wouldn't be as easy as just making a panel to mount the main PCB set as is and add a bunch of jacks at the bottom. Plus this is already a $600 eurorack module so if someone like FreeState FX did a conversion I bet they'd have to charge close to $1000 for a 5U version for it to be worth the time and effort? Dead Banana
Sugarfree
this sounds sweet!!

speaking of tape delays which we should have in MU...
how about T-Rex Replicator with real magnetic tape.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/replicator-module
bwhittington
Wow, that looks insane. Trampoline love And those jacks . . .

I'm happy to let converting it be someone else's pursuit, though I will admire all attempts. This will go fine in my little row of Euro effects.
Sugarfree
looks like it would be a very difficult conversion.
coyoteous
That's a mega-example of the kind of thing I was referring to in another thread, that would be best left in its original format (for me, anyway... I actually like that others might convert... like the way I like Moog reissues: as an observer/voyeur).
JohnLRice
Yeah, the more I think about what it would take to convert one to 5U the more ill I feel. nuts dizzy nuts

It's not something I personally need at all in 5U since I have two different Modcan delay modules in 5U plus several Strymon delay pedals and several delay pedals by other manufacturers . . .and a couple rack units that do delays . . .and some eurorack delay modules too . . . meh help The MSN Smack! hyper hihi
sduck
Yes, this kind of thing probably better just left alone - get a happy endings kit and a bunch of these -
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Female-Adapter-Connector-Changer/dp/B018RG HO0M/

(of course the HEK is a gateway drug - soon you'll find that it's filled, and want something bigger, and eventually you'll be like me and have 3 mantis cases and more modules that can fit in them.)
JohnLRice
And, just for full disclosure, I DO have a eurorack Magneto on order but . . .there is about a 30% chance that it wont fit in my eurorack case, at least where I want to put it, so that prompted me to spend some time pondering the worst case scenarios like totally rearranging the layout of my euro briefcase case since the tray is a little deeper (don't want to), putting it in a different case (naw, I mainly want to use it in my main eurorack case), attempting a 5U conversion (most likely a big NOPE!), or just giving up and reselling it ( cry ).
JohnLRice
Sugarfree wrote:
this sounds sweet!!

speaking of tape delays which we should have in MU...
how about T-Rex Replicator with real magnetic tape.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/replicator-module
That would be pretty cool too! But . . it is a very expensive module as is. woah
coyoteous
JohnLRice, one word... INTERVENTION!

Just a heads up in case you come home and people are waiting for you there that, uh... want to 'talk.'
coyoteous
sduck: You, too...
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
JohnLRice, one word... INTERVENTION!

Just a heads up in case you come home and people are waiting for you there that, uh... want to 'talk.'
eek! hihi

I keep putting off the inevitable big sell down that needs to happen this year, sooner than later . . . . Dead Banana
ranix
the ins and the outs are both in the top left? WTF eurorack
coyoteous
JohnLRice: On the other hand, it could be that you've just walked into an ad hoc modular-meet... just stay between them and the door (might be a good idea keep the portables in your vehicle, too).

Nah, that's the main reason I come here... because there are so many that have the bug worse (better?) than I do (heh).

Seriously though... a sale? Count me in! (I actually haven't sold or traded a single item since I got back into this a few years back... regret too many things I let go of in the past, I guess).

Anyway, that is one badass looking delay... not even going to listen to demos, though (no, you're not... but, but...).
JohnLRice
ranix wrote:
the ins and the outs are both in the top left? WTF eurorack
Yeah, that was an odd change! hmmm..... The original prototype they showed last year called the Generalissimo had inputs on the left and outputs on the right. It had a lot less features though and I didn't like the placement of the row of jacks above the row of knobs at the bottom (and the green color wasn't my favorite either Mr. Green ):
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
... a sale? Count me in! (I actually haven't sold or traded a single item since I got back into this a few years back... regret too many things I let go of in the past, I guess).
There had been an epic battle going on inside me for the longest time. The angel on one shoulder and the demon on the other shoulder keep giving convincing arguments on either selling a bunch, not buying more, and/or buying MOAR! It's confusing because some times they each are screaming SELL! and other times BUY! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it hihi

coyoteous wrote:
Anyway, that is one badass looking delay... not even going to listen to demos, though (no, you're not... but, but...).
I may do an occasional demo using the Magneto with 5U stuff so you might get tricked into listening! Mr. Green
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
coyoteous wrote:
... a sale? Count me in! (I actually haven't sold or traded a single item since I got back into this a few years back... regret too many things I let go of in the past, I guess).
There had been an epic battle going on inside me for the longest time. The angel on one shoulder and the demon on the other shoulder keep giving convincing arguments on either selling a bunch, not buying more, and/or buying MOAR! It's confusing because some times they each are screaming SELL! and other times BUY! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it hihi

coyoteous wrote:
I may do an occasional demo using the Magneto with 5U stuff so you might get tricked into listening! Mr. Green

My left shoulder demon The Agonizer! is winning this week... I've been on a selling rampage...

but I fear the right shoulder demon that's whispering... Flamey LOL

sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana Dead Banana
Mark11Audio
JohnLRice wrote:
coyoteous wrote:

coyoteous wrote:

My left shoulder demon The Agonizer! is winning this week... I've been on a selling rampage...

but I fear the right shoulder demon that's whispering... Flamey LOL

sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana Dead Banana
phisynth
Would love to have this in my modcan A system. Not sure I want to face the challenge tough Dead Banana
thunderheart530
phisynth wrote:
Would love to have this in my modcan A system. Not sure I want to face the challenge tough Dead Banana
I have been dreaming of the same thing. However this seems like a nightmare waiting to happen... but if everything was done correctly it would BE AMAZING.
kindredlost
MAGNETO had me eyeballing some of my gear with that "you gotta go" look, but I too need another delay like a hole in the head. Still, it is very nice and has quite a few advantages over a real tape delay beyond maintenance an all. Strymon is the best.
Glad you have one coming in John. I'm living vicariously through you lately. thumbs up
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
MAGNETO . . . . . . .
Glad you have one coming in John. I'm living vicariously through you lately. thumbs up
sad banana Sadly, I canceled my order before it shipped. cry There was a good chance it wasn't going to fit into my case and I'm coming up on money concerns again so, I've decided to live with what I have in my two eurorack cases and eliminate the rest. (see link in my signature for my sell-off post)
cornutt
If I was going to attempt that, I'd probably combine some of those jacks into multi-conductor jacks of some sort, and build breakout cables to plug into them. For instance, combine each L/R input and output pair onto a TRS jack, and combine all of the clock outputs onto a multipin DIN or Amphenol jack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1