Post pics of your modular/studio setup!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

spbaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spbaker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:32 am

please note nothing is to scale 8)
whack this for a big one
new DVD out now Fracture
things to listen to and look at:
http://abreojos.net

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 am

nice set up SPB...
I think I see an SKB :-)

brandon daniel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brandon daniel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 am

is that a 770? Nice...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:59 am

spbaker wrote:please note nothing is to scale 8)
WARNING! Bank accounts may appear larger than actual size when viewing synth forums! :mrgreen:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:14 am

This is fairly current but it doesn't include the COTK C1670. I'll do some new pics once I get a few more things done.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 am

"Dirty Knobby" (after the P.K.Dick'd sacred martian monolith) aka "The Black Tower", a Blacet, Wiard and Bananalogue frac (there are three multiples hanging in mid air out of shot.)

"The Blue Tower" Wiard 300 Series (Wogglebug behind), Wiard New Controller with Microwave 1 and Kenton Pro underneath.

ATOM
Common Wiggler

Post by ATOM » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am

Really nice Digisound.
MrDys wrote:I'm intrigued by the D-A converter.
The D-A converter module converts the digital data from the Digisound keyboard controller to cv and gate signals.

A friend of mine has a Digisound modular, I really like the sound and the module layout and preformance.

To bad those CEM ic's is hard to find, because almost all of the schematics are available on the net.
http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/

ATOM

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Here's mine, as of October or so:

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Wonderful view! :love:

(the gear is nice too :hihi: )

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm

that's a nice looking space Richard. i presume from the 4 speakers that you are running the Buchla in quad?

sandy

krisp14u
Oakley4All!

Post by krisp14u » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm

ATOM wrote:Really nice Digisound.

A friend of mine has a Digisound modular, I really like the sound and the module layout and preformance.

To bad those CEM ic's is hard to find, because almost all of the schematics are available on the net.
http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/

ATOM
I have wanted a Digisound for as long as I’ve been into modular
All the moduels are fully working just the pots need upgrading and a few jacks could do with replacing and cleaning
the D-A may be replaced as I don’t have the keyboard maybe with a 80-21 VCDO the miniwave of the 80's give me something to do with the 3340 ive been hording :hihi:
Cheers :guinness:

Paul
www.krisp1.com/store/
Fine Modular systems Built in Yorkshire UK EU Planet Earth

spbaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spbaker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:20 pm

rlainhart wrote:Here's mine, as of October or so:

hi RIchard! welcome to Muff's you'll love it here!
what a set up and a view! :sb: :hail: :party:
brandon daniel wrote:is that a 770? Nice...
yeah and it has one of those stories where it was originally owned by a organist lady for a small church in a coastal country town where she played it every sunday for a billion years, then the church closed and a friend of mine bought it at a garage sale for $50 or something ridiculous and then she found she wasn't using it and sold it on to me at a modest profit. it comes and goes in my production but its a wonderful thing to tinker on :D
new DVD out now Fracture
things to listen to and look at:
http://abreojos.net

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks, Sandy. Correct - I play and record in quad at home, and actually have some concerts coming up this Spring in which I'll be able to perform in quad for the first time.
that's a nice looking space Richard. i presume from the 4 speakers that you are running the Buchla in quad?

flippantminister
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Post by flippantminister » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:35 pm

nice to see mr. lainhart here! i love your "beautiful blue sky" album.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

rlainhart wrote:Thanks, Sandy. Correct - I play and record in quad at home, and actually have some concerts coming up this Spring in which I'll be able to perform in quad for the first time.

ooh - that must be fun :love:
do you find it much of a pain doing the quad material at home and then usually having to do a stereo version, either live or for release?

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks, Flip - it's very kind of you to say so.

flippantminister wrote:nice to see mr. lainhart here! i love your "beautiful blue sky" album.

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 am

It is fun, I have to say. It's not so much of a pain, as it's pretty simple to mix the 4 channels down to 2 without problems - it's more of a disappointment that there's no easy way for people to hear the music in quad. For example, "The Orchestra of the Damned", which is on "The Beautiful Blue Sky" album Flippant mentioned above, was recorded in quad, and it's really a much more powerful piece when heard that way instead of in stereo, as it is on the album. The large reverb spaces in quad are much more spacious, and in the dryer sections, you can really hear the motion of the voices swirling around you in a way that just doesn't come across in stereo.

I've thought a lot about how to present these recordings as I hear them. One way, of course, is surround encoding, but how many people really can play or listen to music in surround? And of course surround encoded material doesn't work in earphones, which is how many people listen to music these days. I've also thought about re-recording the pieces in my studio or some other space using four speakers and a binaural head microphone, but that has its problems too - first, binaural heads are massively expensive - Neumann's KU-100 dummy head binaural just recently went up to $11K from $8K, and I haven't found a place that will rent one as yet. And I'm not sure that my own studio is acoustically clean enough to support a sensitive mic re-recording, meaning I'd have to rent an appropriate space too.

That's really the main problem with recording in quad - how do you present it?

sandyb wrote:ooh - that must be fun :love:
do you find it much of a pain doing the quad material at home and then usually having to do a stereo version, either live or for release?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 pm

rlainhart wrote: That's really the main problem with recording in quad - how do you present it?
yes - that's what i was thinking. i'm interested in multi speaker set ups but it seems that unless you either do them in a sound installation type setting, or are fortunate enough to be able to play live somewhere with the necessary capabilities, there will be an inevitable compromise regarding what people actually end up hearing versus how the music is intended to be heard.

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 pm

sandyb wrote:
rlainhart wrote: That's really the main problem with recording in quad - how do you present it?
yes - that's what i was thinking. i'm interested in multi speaker set ups but it seems that unless you either do them in a sound installation type setting, or are fortunate enough to be able to play live somewhere with the necessary capabilities, there will be an inevitable compromise regarding what people actually end up hearing versus how the music is intended to be heard.
I've always been a be fan of live sound, but to realize the unique character of live quad performance is exciting.

I wonder if you could record a quadraphonic composition in 2 pieces (left/right in one recording, front/back in the second recording) and leave it to the listener to play the recordings simultaneously on 2 systems with appropriate speaker placement. This idea doesn't address the shortcomings regarding headphone use, though...

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm

rezzn8r wrote:
sandyb wrote:
I've always been a be fan of live sound, but to realize the unique character of live quad performance is exciting.

I wonder if you could record a quadraphonic composition in 2 pieces (left/right in one recording, front/back in the second recording) and leave it to the listener to play the recordings simultaneously on 2 systems with appropriate speaker placement. This idea doesn't address the shortcomings regarding headphone use, though...
Or better yet, 4 systems :cool:

Coincidentally, pitchfork gave their next album, The Soft Bulletin, which was merely in stereo, 10.0 :hihi:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 pm

:sb:

awesome dude

you have good taste 8)

thanks

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:55 pm

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Beautiful system! Now I see why you don't need any euro. I used to live in Chicago too, north side, by where the Nazis marched way back when.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Really nice system! And I love your room too! :love: I've dreamed for a very long time about having a large room with high ceilings, hard wood floors and brick walls . . . especially if I could make as much sound volume as I desired 24/7 and would NEVER get a complaint! :bang:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”