MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Vidiot Usage, Demos, etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author LZX Vidiot Usage, Demos, etc.
tau_seti
Our beloved thread “Something new from LZX” is a bit obscure now that the Vidiot has a name and is out, so here’s a new home for post-purchase discussion.
tau_seti
*For absolute beginners* (like me earlier today), its a good idea to start with the Luma output and generate a black and white signal first. Play with the different forms a bit and got a feel for how the left side of the Vidiot works. After that, switch to the Chrome input, but keep the Chroma modulator input on eyeball.
shred
good advice. just starting out myself and it definitely helps to look at the Luma output to get a hang of what's going on. I was just trying the colorized output at first and was struggling with understand the left side controls.
set up from today's session:
tau_seti
Some early experiments here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfWarI4HNCO/?taken-at=216551716
ThomasVanTa
I'm collecting my experiments here:

https://www.instagram.com/vantanalog/
moogboy
here's a couple of videos from a show i did this weekend in philadelphia with Vidiot and eurorack controlled laser. I'll be honest, a lot of the time it didn't really work or look the way i wanted it to but it was a really fun show and by all reports a devastating effect so here it is, check it out if you please

and on my
instagram there's shitloads of vidiot work it's basically all i post now
nerdware
Oh, yes. That works really well with the music. It reminded me a lot of the liquid light effects. So psychedelic, very 60s. Thanks.
moogboy
nerdware wrote:
Oh, yes. That works really well with the music. It reminded me a lot of the liquid light effects. So psychedelic, very 60s. Thanks.

thanks!! for my next gig I'm gonna set up a liquid rig in between the camera and feedback monitor to go deeper in that direction. liquid light shows and the Beat Club video effects are some of my biggest inspirations
odditymedium
what is a liquid rig

what are liquid light shows
nerdware
shred
moogboy nice job! SlayerBadger!
Union Transfer is one of my favorite venues
clone1410
Wanted to get into LZX for a while but the price point for a system meant it wasn’t realistic for me to have one, stoked for the Vidiot, ordering mine next payday. It looks great.
resincum
Hello, what do ya'll use to interface your eurorack with the vidiot? is there anything like the English Tear, but for LZX devices?
odditymedium
anyone got a vidiot to sell me? i'm in the eu
nerdware
resincum wrote:
Hello, what do ya'll use to interface your eurorack with the vidiot? is there anything like the English Tear, but for LZX devices?

Bridge.
resincum
thank, guess I was a bit excited very frustrating
Lento_Zoom
resincum wrote:

I just use attenuverters to scale my modular CV into a range that works with the vidiot.
tau_seti
I don't see why you'd need an English Tear or a bridge. Just plug and play. It's + or - 0-10V.

from the LZX site: "Like our modules, any audio or control voltage source can be patched to any of its 13 patch inputs."
nerdware
Yes, you don't need a bridge, but it'll help with some of the hotter signals. BTW, I recently added a WMD Quad Attenuator to my video synth for taming my 2 Sloths. They're still my only non-video control modules. Today I considered using the Quad Attn to add attenuators to the mixer on a Bridge. In the end, I used a Passage instead, partly for the bias controls. So, while I have 3 Bridges, I barely use the multiples on them. I find the mixers and crossfaders far more useful. I expect that to change if/when I get more non-video CV generators.

YMMV, of course. The hottest output on a Sloth is 8V pp, so it takes a fair amount of attenuating to make it useful for video. E.g. if I had more modules with hot outputs, I'd definitely appreciate attenuators more. One half of the Bridge was designed to address this issue, but it doesn't have attenuators and bias like the old Voltage Interface. So I also have a SISM.
moogboy
if you're just trying to interface audio eurorack modules with Vidiot, the attenuators are capable of scaling down from euro levels to video levels. Having some mixing would definitely come in handy though.
nerdware
Mixing and crossfading. thumbs up
note!
shred wrote:
I was just trying the colorized output at first and was struggling with understand the left side controls.

Just pickedup a Vidiot yesterday and I'm having the same issue.. I'm having a lot of fun but I just cannot seem to understand how the luma and colorizer are working together. Nothing I do on the luma side seems to have any effect on the colorizer. Both with patching and without. If there was a simple "Luma Out" into "Colorizer In" I would get it..

Could you someone present a simple patch that illustrates how I can get them to work together? Sorry for the newb question! I've looked in the manual and on LZX and here and there doesn't seem to be any simple diagram or explanation.. Thanks for the help!

edit: ok I'm a dummy - it's the eyeball mod selector on the Colorizer knob.. I guess I missed it bc there isn't an outjack on the face - oops!
shred
note! - glad you sorted it out! i've found the workflow to be easier every time I sit down and patch.

unrelated question:
why are the cv inputs for the luma processor and colorizer sections +/- 10v (and the H and V oscillator cv inputs) when most other ins/outs in the LZX universe are at 0-1v? was this a decision to make it easier to patch with audio modules?
note!
Oh I didn't realize they were 10v! Good to know.

OTHER question - what voltages do the Luma and Colorizer chroma key inputs expect? If I put anything in them they open fully - no matter how attenuated the signal. BUT, if I loosely patch them (so that the ground hits a different part of the jack, I get exactly the effect I want - I just can't touch anything. Does it expect a different cable? So weird..
shred
note! wrote:
OTHER question - what voltages do the Luma and Colorizer chroma key inputs expect? If I put anything in them they open fully - no matter how attenuated the signal. BUT, if I loosely patch them (so that the ground hits a different part of the jack, I get exactly the effect I want - I just can't touch anything. Does it expect a different cable? So weird..

I think the Key inputs are 0-1v which would explain the closed/open effects your getting. the cv signal is probably too hot. silly question, but what are you using to attenuate? I've had decent success using a regular old passive attenuator. using a dedicated scaler might give you a bigger range (i.e. Bridge), but I don't have one to test it out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3