LZX Vidiot Usage, Demos, etc.

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe., daverj

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

LZX Vidiot Usage, Demos, etc.

Post by tau_seti » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Our beloved thread “Something new from LZX” is a bit obscure now that the Vidiot has a name and is out, so here’s a new home for post-purchase discussion.

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:38 pm

*For absolute beginners* (like me earlier today), its a good idea to start with the Luma output and generate a black and white signal first. Play with the different forms a bit and got a feel for how the left side of the Vidiot works. After that, switch to the Chrome input, but keep the Chroma modulator input on eyeball.

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:21 pm

good advice. just starting out myself and it definitely helps to look at the Luma output to get a hang of what's going on. I was just trying the colorized output at first and was struggling with understand the left side controls.
set up from today's session:
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Some early experiments here.

ThomasVanTa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThomasVanTa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 am

I'm collecting my experiments here:

https://www.instagram.com/vantanalog/

moogboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by moogboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm

here's a couple of videos from a show i did this weekend in philadelphia with Vidiot and eurorack controlled laser. I'll be honest, a lot of the time it didn't really work or look the way i wanted it to but it was a really fun show and by all reports a devastating effect so here it is, check it out if you please

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

and on my
instagram there's shitloads of vidiot work it's basically all i post now

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Oh, yes. That works really well with the music. It reminded me a lot of the liquid light effects. So psychedelic, very 60s. Thanks.
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

moogboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by moogboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 am

nerdware wrote:Oh, yes. That works really well with the music. It reminded me a lot of the liquid light effects. So psychedelic, very 60s. Thanks.
thanks!! for my next gig I'm gonna set up a liquid rig in between the camera and feedback monitor to go deeper in that direction. liquid light shows and the Beat Club video effects are some of my biggest inspirations

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 am

what is a liquid rig

what are liquid light shows

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

[video][/video]

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am

moogboy nice job! :sb:
Union Transfer is one of my favorite venues

clone1410
1-Post Wiggler

Post by clone1410 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:35 am

Wanted to get into LZX for a while but the price point for a system meant it wasn’t realistic for me to have one, stoked for the Vidiot, ordering mine next payday. It looks great.

resincum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by resincum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

Hello, what do ya'll use to interface your eurorack with the vidiot? is there anything like the English Tear, but for LZX devices?

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:46 am

anyone got a vidiot to sell me? i'm in the eu

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:04 pm

resincum wrote:Hello, what do ya'll use to interface your eurorack with the vidiot? is there anything like the English Tear, but for LZX devices?
Bridge.

resincum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by resincum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

thank, guess I was a bit excited :bang:

Lento_Zoom
Common Wiggler

Post by Lento_Zoom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:15 pm

resincum wrote:Hello, what do ya'll use to interface your eurorack with the vidiot? is there anything like the English Tear, but for LZX devices?
I just use attenuverters to scale my modular CV into a range that works with the vidiot.

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:57 am

I don't see why you'd need an English Tear or a bridge. Just plug and play. It's + or - 0-10V.

from the LZX site: "Like our modules, any audio or control voltage source can be patched to any of its 13 patch inputs."

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Yes, you don't need a bridge, but it'll help with some of the hotter signals. BTW, I recently added a WMD Quad Attenuator to my video synth for taming my 2 Sloths. They're still my only non-video control modules. Today I considered using the Quad Attn to add attenuators to the mixer on a Bridge. In the end, I used a Passage instead, partly for the bias controls. So, while I have 3 Bridges, I barely use the multiples on them. I find the mixers and crossfaders far more useful. I expect that to change if/when I get more non-video CV generators.

YMMV, of course. The hottest output on a Sloth is 8V pp, so it takes a fair amount of attenuating to make it useful for video. E.g. if I had more modules with hot outputs, I'd definitely appreciate attenuators more. One half of the Bridge was designed to address this issue, but it doesn't have attenuators and bias like the old Voltage Interface. So I also have a SISM.

moogboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by moogboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:57 pm

if you're just trying to interface audio eurorack modules with Vidiot, the attenuators are capable of scaling down from euro levels to video levels. Having some mixing would definitely come in handy though.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 am

Mixing and crossfading. :tu:

note!

Post by note! » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:17 pm

shred wrote:I was just trying the colorized output at first and was struggling with understand the left side controls.
Just pickedup a Vidiot yesterday and I'm having the same issue.. I'm having a lot of fun but I just cannot seem to understand how the luma and colorizer are working together. Nothing I do on the luma side seems to have any effect on the colorizer. Both with patching and without. If there was a simple "Luma Out" into "Colorizer In" I would get it..

Could you someone present a simple patch that illustrates how I can get them to work together? Sorry for the newb question! I've looked in the manual and on LZX and here and there doesn't seem to be any simple diagram or explanation.. Thanks for the help!

edit: ok I'm a dummy - it's the eyeball mod selector on the Colorizer knob.. I guess I missed it bc there isn't an outjack on the face - oops!

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:25 pm

note! - glad you sorted it out! i've found the workflow to be easier every time I sit down and patch.

unrelated question:
why are the cv inputs for the luma processor and colorizer sections +/- 10v (and the H and V oscillator cv inputs) when most other ins/outs in the LZX universe are at 0-1v? was this a decision to make it easier to patch with audio modules?

note!

Post by note! » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Oh I didn't realize they were 10v! Good to know.

OTHER question - what voltages do the Luma and Colorizer chroma key inputs expect? If I put anything in them they open fully - no matter how attenuated the signal. BUT, if I loosely patch them (so that the ground hits a different part of the jack, I get exactly the effect I want - I just can't touch anything. Does it expect a different cable? So weird..

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:36 pm

note! wrote:OTHER question - what voltages do the Luma and Colorizer chroma key inputs expect? If I put anything in them they open fully - no matter how attenuated the signal. BUT, if I loosely patch them (so that the ground hits a different part of the jack, I get exactly the effect I want - I just can't touch anything. Does it expect a different cable? So weird..
I think the Key inputs are 0-1v which would explain the closed/open effects your getting. the cv signal is probably too hot. silly question, but what are you using to attenuate? I've had decent success using a regular old passive attenuator. using a dedicated scaler might give you a bigger range (i.e. Bridge), but I don't have one to test it out.

Return to “Video Synthesis”