MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Epique CBT Line Array Speakers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Epique CBT Line Array Speakers
numan7
Anyone heard these:

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/epique-cbt36k-line-array-speaker- pair-kit.html

?
numan7
Guinness ftw! well, i went and ordered an epique cbt24 kit.

they're not the ones pictured above with the separate driver and tweeter arrays, but instead use one array of wide-range mini-drivers per speaker cabinet (which improves the coherency of the stereo image):

i'm thinking of finishing them in a dark ocean-turquoise shade of blue (similar to my big goike eurorack case). or maybe i'll try veneering them in walnut (to go with my buchla case).

i plan to drive them from a stereo amplifier connected to the satellite output rca jacks of a dynaudio 18s sub (with the satellite output xlr jacks connected to dynaudio bm6a nearfield monitors - so either or both cbt24 and bm6a can be active at once, although the 18s's dsp can only be tailored for one at a time). 18s rca inputs will be patched to a Buchla Model 175 replica module that has been modified to have rca output jacks in addition to tinijacks. xlr inputs will be connected to a patch-bay that is accessible from my eurorack system.

i expect they'll sound pretty glorious!

cheers
dogoftears
wow
let us know when you finish these
i wouldn't mind coming over and hearing them! or maybe you can put together a show-- bet those are loud enough for a live PA
Futuresound
How cool.

I've never heard a line array in a monitoring context. Let us know how they sound smile
goiks
let me know if you need the number for the color of dye we used, i'm pretty sure i can find it somewhere in old emails. i also have a recommendation for an inexpensive and effective hvlp sprayer if you need one.
numan7
we're not worthy thanks for the replies everyone (and i really ought to monitor the threads i start more closely)! anyways, i'm moving at my usual snail's pace (actually, i think i'm more like a glacier than a snail, when it comes to anything diy-related).

screaming goo yo i did finally take a quick trip to the hardware store and got some water-base stain in the color indigo (i'd love to re-create the aniline dye mixture goike used for my big case - however i fear i would make a big mess and not get the color right - so i'm just going to try the stain and we'll see how it all turns out...

hmmm..... and i still need to get a 2 channel amplifier that can drive these things at 280w, 4 ohms. on the one hand, i'd really love something like an ancient mcintosh mc2300 but those weigh and cost a lot (and have big fans in the back). any suggestions...?

SlayerBadger! and yeah, let's have a party or a show (dogoftears and whoever else wants to come) once they're finished!

cheers
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t alright, things are starting to roll...

sanded everything with 140 grit and applied some stain on the bottoms of the pedestal stands (that the cabinets bolt on to) last night to get an idea of how much stain to use on the visible surfaces:

screwed the metal brackets for the cabinet bolts onto the pedestals (which the mdf wood material made a bit difficult) and put on 3m rubber feet:

next up, i will bolt the cabinets to their pedestals and apply the stain...

cheers
numan7
Guinness ftw! ok, cabinets are now bolted to pedestals (after attaching adhesive rubber grommet / vibration-damping sheets to surfaces on pedestals where cabinets will sit):

and first coat of stain has been applied:

they sort of remind me of dr. who's Doctorin' the Tardis in this color. anyways, next i will wait 90 minutes, sand them with 180 grit and apply another coat of stain.

after that, i will wait 3 hours and might possibly sand with 180 grit again (need to decide if they need it later). and then i will apply 3 coats of glossy acrylic spray varnish, waiting tbd minutes in between sprayings, and polishing with ultra-fine artificial steel wool each time until the appearance is as close to glassy as i can get....

cheers
numan7
w00t getting closer, closer to done.... 2nd application of stain and 3 coats of acrylic varnish applied (didn't come out exactly as I wanted, but still good). things taken upstairs (for final assembly):

cabinets wired and stuffed with polyester fiber flocking material (for accoustic dampening):

now to connect the mini-drivers and screw them to the cabinets....

cheers
Cat-A-Tonic
Nice.

Is that WIARD blue?

Wiard

I have been making some speakers too;
although never a line array.

I made one of my own design combining an aluminum resonator guitar cone and a transducer coil to drive it.

Now I'm getting close to done with a big pair of Fostex back-loaded horns.
numan7
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Nice.

Is that WIARD blue?

Wiard

I have been making some speakers too;
although never a line array.

I made one of my own design combining an aluminum resonator guitar cone and a transducer coil to drive it.

Now I'm getting close to done with a big pair of Fostex back-loaded horns.

thumbs up yep - and it can actually be either Buchla 222e-blue or Wiard-blue ,depending on the angle the light is reflecting from the cabinet surfaces:

i suspect that this chamelion-like effect is due at least in part to my attempt at imparting a faux-woodgrain pattern to the mdf finish (e.g. by sanding in wavy arcs in between stain and varnish applications, using a terry-cloth sponge to apply the stain, being a bit sloppy with the varnish especially on top, etc.) which appears like this if you look real close:

w00t i'd like to see pictures of your speakers, Cat-A-Tonic - have you posted any on MW?

oops btw (@forum) sorry for the all wood-working photos here, folks! there just isn't much else to talk about in a speakers discussion (other than offering up opinions about how they sound - which i'll get around to once we've heard them).

screaming goo yo anyways, the 48 mini-speaker-drivers have now all been connected to wiring harnesses!!

d'oh! i foolishly screwed the drivers into the first cabinet (and fully tightened down half of them) before reaiizing that it might be a good idea to test the wiring (e.g. by connecting to the speaker to an amplifier and playing a test tone at different levels, checking each speaker by ear, etc.) before final assembly.

so, assuming everything checks out tonight i will be screwing in the final 96 screws into the wee hours of tomorrow morning - and then will conduct some proper audio listening tests tomorrow night....

cheers
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t tested, tightened and installed:

they sound exquisite playing patches of peter blasser's ifm fourses modules (this one serendipitously came out sounding like surprisingly realistic rolling ocean waves, and is what i'm listening to now):

the sound is being slowly panned from left to right and back by an AD envelope. the panning sounds the same anywhere i stand in the room, just as claimed by the designer of the speakers.

i 'm going to need to hook a computer up to the modular system or something so that i can listen to various recorded music i can judge the sound of the speakers against and use to adjust the crossover frequency and relative level of the dynaudio subwoofer (which has a built-in crossover) and amplifier i'm using these with.

i currently have it set at 24 db/oct at 90 Hz and -17dB with the speaker amp level at around 25% (which sounds really great with modular synthesizers - not sure how it's going to sound with orchestral, jazz, rock and so on selections).

cheers
dogoftears
wow, congrats!

wiards and skylabs in the kitchen, me oh my
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1