MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Questions from a Serge newbie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Questions from a Serge newbie
mfkzt
So it looks like I'm finally going to get around to assembling my 73-75 homebrew panels this weekend. Initially I was toying with the idea of buying three boats, attaching some sort of 3-panel angled end cheeks, and fill the top boat with the third Voice module when it is released.

However, I have been considering progressively filling this top boat with Random Source modules instead, to broaden the sonic palette of the machine. Definitely the VCFS/VCFQ (Had the VCFS in Euro and loved it until I sent it to hell during a "polarity incident"),a sequencer, probably an NTO, etc etc...

My questions relate primarily to power. Information in this regard is scant on R*S website.

Firstly, I see that R*S offer a bus board but I am unsure as to what kind of power supply I should be using. The PSUs on the R*S website seem like overkill for one boat.

Secondly, and perhaps more ambitiously, would there be a way of running all three boats off the same power supply? This might make one of the R*S power supplies a more attractive proposition. I can solder, use a multimeter and follow basic instructions, but my knowledge of electronics beyond the basics is limited.

(I was hoping, perhaps naively, that the R*S modules would run off +/-12v Euro power, but this seems not to be the case.)

Lastly, are there any other manufacturers making 4u Serge modules I should know about? The Elby stuff looks good but they're based in the States. Does anybody know any EU distributors?

EDIT: Oh, and a final question, would there be any concerns relating to control voltage or trigger differences between the two systems? I wouldn't have thought so, but it can't hurt to check.

Looking forward to all of your input cool
lasesentaysiete
Quote:
would there be a way of running all three boats off the same power supply?

the only tricky part here would be the +6v that the 73-75 panels use. The PSU included in the it supplies +6v, but if you plan for an external psu, this would have to be addressed.

Quote:
(I was hoping, perhaps naively, that the R*S modules would run off +/-12v Euro power, but this seems not to be the case.)

No, it is the case. +/-12v is not restricted to Eurorack smile

Quote:
are there any other manufacturers making 4u Serge modules I should know about?

In EU, its R*S basically, and eventually 73-75. The rest is DIY, I think.
mfkzt
lasesentaysiete wrote:

Quote:

No, it is the case. +/-12v is not restricted to Eurorack smile

The R*S modules seem to use MTA connectors for power though, so I couldn't run them off say a Doepfer PSU and bus board (which would be my preferred option). Unless it is possible to convert between the two?
lasesentaysiete
you could either make adapter cables if you really want to use the Doepfer distribution board, or use something like the R*S distribution board.
batchas
mfkzt wrote:
Lastly, are there any other manufacturers making 4u Serge modules I should know about? The Elby stuff looks good but they're based in the States.

If I'm not mistaking I think Elby is located in Australia (I know... It means even farther! than what you're obv. looking for).
mfkzt
batchas wrote:
mfkzt wrote:
Lastly, are there any other manufacturers making 4u Serge modules I should know about? The Elby stuff looks good but they're based in the States.

If I'm not mistaking I think Elby is located in Australia (I know... It means even farther! than what you're obv. looking for).

What can I say, I see prices in dollars and immediately assume it's the States. People in Australia must get sick of that.

lasesentaysiete wrote:
you could either make adapter cables if you really want to use the Doepfer distribution board, or use something like the R*S distribution board.

The only reason I had the idea of using the Doepfer bus board is that I have one lying around. R*S bus board seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for all the input so far!
muncky
Loudest Warning also make modules as well as panels for DIY. The Bad Producer is a star

For power, my first 3 boat Serge and now my second will be powered from a Doepfer DIY PSU2. I’m using 4 pin neutrik jacks, but there are other ways to do (Graham Hinton has posted many times on how to get the distro done right and might be worth contacting. My latest PSU is from Clicks and Clocks (love to deal with).

As said below, the RS distro has worked fine for me. The 73-75 panels don’t really need a distro tho.
mfkzt
muncky wrote:
Loudest Warning

Wow. Well that's my fourth and fifth boats already filled

--

Thanks for all the advice so far. So it's looking like Hammond enclosures for the 73-75 panels, a Doepfer PSU and R*S bus board for the third boat, plus whichever modules I choose to populate it with. VCFQ/VCFS definitely, plus Dual Slopes and NTO at the very least. I think these modules will greatly expand upon the standard 73-75 modules. Looking forward to getting the system together!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1