MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Akemie's Castle vs Akemie's Taiko
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Akemie's Castle vs Akemie's Taiko
Karabekian
Haven't too much around here on directly comparing the two. At the moment I'm weighing up which of these to pick up. Slightly put off by the Castle's massive HP. I've heard a few people say they prefer the Taiko over the castle.

Interested to hear you thoughts. Anyone own both?
lisa
Should I buy a synth or a drum machine? Hard to say for you, what do you want and need? smile
bemushroomed
lisa wrote:
Should I buy a synth or a drum machine?

Akemie's Taiko is hardly a "drum machine", in fact i rarely use it for "drum" sounds.

Never tried Castle. I did own Dinky's Taiko, and Akemie's Taiko is 100x times better imo and more versatile.
Karabekian
bemushroomed wrote:
lisa wrote:

Akemie's Taiko is hardly a "drum machine", in fact i rarely use it for "drum" sounds.

Never tried Castle. I did own Dinky's Taiko, and Akemie's Taiko is 100x times better imo and more versatile.

That's helpful to know. I love how Dinky's functions, but it's defintely not as versatile as I think the Taiko could be.

The Taiko tracks 1v/Oct, so I think it's more than just a drum machine. And I'd like to use either for melodic and drum sounds, depending on how I'm feeling each day.

I guess what I'm asking is - What does the Akemie's Castle do that the Taiko can't? Does it provide me with a wide variety of sounds that would justify spending twice as much and an extra 20hp?

The Taiko also has the ability to switch the algorhythm via CV, which I don't think the Castle does.
insoul8
bemushroomed wrote:
lisa wrote:

This. Throw a little reverb on it and it's stunning.
Jondue
Akemie's Taiko (and Dinky's) has "snapshot" triggering, Akemie's Castle to my knowledge does not. So when the trigger hits the Taiko, whatever sound that comes out is based on a "snapshot" of where the knobs are set physically or by cv. Any modulation that occurs after the trigger, whether by cv or manual twiddling, will have no effect on whatever sound is currently being heard until the next trigger... It's a big limitation in my opinion. I would really prefer to be able to modulate Akemie's Taiko after a trigger. That said, it's chock full of sweet spots. I think I have more wtf moments with the Taiko than most other modules I've used.

I would love to get a Castle one day. I'm trying to stick to a smaller setup for now though, Castles too big!
lisa
bemushroomed wrote:
Akemie's Taiko is hardly a "drum machine"

Allow me to rephrase: Do you want a guitar or a drum set?
Mr. Sound Boy King
lisa wrote:
bemushroomed wrote:
Akemie's Taiko is hardly a "drum machine"

Allow me to rephrase: Do you want a guitar or a drum set?

Akemie's Taiko does not particularly excel for drum sounds. It makes digitized gLORPUS and excels in that arena.

My favorite use of Akemie's Taiko is instructing it to play alien melodies.

In a Fantastic Land, I would also have a Castle but it is very LARGE. If it were SMALLER, I'd have one in addition to the Taiko.

I do not believe these modules are comparable, really.
ookrsia
Jondue wrote:
Akemie's Taiko (and Dinky's) has "snapshot" triggering, Akemie's Castle to my knowledge does not.

I have only a Taiko, but if Akemie’s Castle indeed does not have this same limitation then that truly is a big difference. Eventho I really like my Taiko, this limitation really affects the ways you can use it.
tauburn
It is difficult to use the taiko in the same way as the BIA for example and make a full drum beat out of it. FM is sortof unpredictable and just slightly lengthening one of the decay knobs can completely send it wildly out of control timbrally. it sounds amazing through a filter when you push it to its limits though.

That said, it makes amazing sounding kicks and especially hi hats and general percussive effects. It is definitely a great module. if you are a fan of digital fm sounds you will be happy with either the castle or taiko. I personally am becoming a big fan of these self contained voice modules that accept trigs.

i will eventually get the castle someday but i am trying to not buy another case.
bgcriswell
I don’t really see the “snapshot” triggering to be a limitation. I like when different modules function differently. It makes you think more and in the end come up with more creative ways of making sounds. Here’s an example of Akemies Taiko making all kinds of sounds. It’s being sequenced and modulated by Seq1, Chance, and Zularic.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTDbS9xB5r1/?taken-by=loflylab
Bobbyr77
I have both and love them both. The Taiko is very immediate and so much fun to mess around with and the snapshot is actually quite cool, like each input has its own onboard sample and hold so you can throw a white noise source at it and (in most inputs) use the onboard attenuverters to adjust. the one thing that frustrates me is the speed control which changes the speed at which the frequency moves between the start and end frequencies. this kicks in if you move the knob past 9 o'clock but the lowest setting is pretty fast

The castle I use for more drones and chords, but you can equally get some amazing bass and potentially more 'dialled in' drum sounds using envelopes on pitch / modulator levels. A friend of mine wanted some jungle bass samples for some tunes he was doing and the castle kicked out some seriously dark shit. However as the OP says it is massive so can take over a small case (mine is 9HP currently, so the castle is a fairly large %)
monolithicfungus
Bobbyr77 would you say that the Taiko is a smaller, more simplified version of the Castle then? Ii kind of got the impression that the Taiko is a drum module, but this thread has me thinking it’s more of a gateway drug for the Castle. eek!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1