MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland D-110 vs. Roland Boutique D-05
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Roland D-110 vs. Roland Boutique D-05
nomadjames
Any opinions? I have a strange, explainable desire to get into this since the release of the D-05. I really have no idea why, this seems like something I would never have any desire to explore. Anyone familiar with these units enough to describe me some practical differences?
sutekina bipu-on
The d110 is based on the d10. The d10 shares a synth engine with the d5, d10, d20, and d110 (rack d10) and MT-32 which you know as a computer add-on for video games instead of a real synth. Nothing but the D50 / D05 has its synth engine. I have a D50 and sold my D10 before getting it. Never anywhere close to regret. Get the D05. There is no competition. D50/D05 has unable effects too But if you only have $100ish to spend and must have some linear synthesis then the D110 will you by until you can afford something better.
commodorejohn
The D-10/D-110 is interesting and fun if you're looking for that "vintage PC adventure game" MT-32 sound, but yeah, it can't even begin to touch the D-50.
Luap
I've had a D110 since new. They really don't sound half bad at all. But it has by far the worst GUI of any synth i've ever owned. Not enjoyable to get into, at all.
All those synths had an optional programmer available for them however (PG10 for the D110). I never had one, but I expect they improve usability immensely. Last I saw, they also sell for more than the synth itself!
nomadjames
Thanks y’all.
GovernorSilver
Fairly thorough comparison article by someone who owned both - even has a short audio comparison:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/11/22/can-a-d-110-sound-like-a-d50

Quick takeaways:

1 LFO vs. 3 LFOs
Multitimbral vs. Bitimbral
commodorejohn
GovernorSilver wrote:
Quick takeaways:

1 LFO vs. 3 LFOs
Multitimbral vs. Bitimbral

The real problem isn't the single LFO, it's that the only thing it can do is provide vibrato - no cutoff modulation, no PWM, nothing. Aside from the envelopes, there's almost no modulation options on the MT-32 architecture at all.
Blairio
This is an apples vs. oranges kind of discussion. The D110 came from a lineage of multi-timbral tone boxes, while the D50 was a flagship polysynth.

I guess a similar comparison would be between a Yamaha FB01 and a DX7.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1