MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Corsynth DR-01 Bass Drum [Now available]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author New Corsynth DR-01 Bass Drum [Now available]
Thalassa
A new module has been added to the Corsynth family, the DR-01. It's the first in a new series of modules dedicated to analog drum synthesis.

http://corsynth.com/home/modules/dr01

The following text is copied from the website ( you can call me lazy hihi )

Create a drum sounds from scratch using a modular synthesizer is always time and resourcing consuming. With the DR-01 you will save a lot of space, money and modules that can be used for other purposes. The DR-01 has all you need to create bass drums , toms a many other percussive sounds in just one single space. And thanks to the Tune CV input is even possible to use the DR-01 to create bass lines.

Punchy techno drums, industrial drums, drum sounds of the firsts analog drum machines, FM sounds… With the DR-01 is really easy to get the sounds that you need at every moment. All the parameters in the module have been carefully chosen to be used in a drum synthesis context (envelope times, oscillator frequencies, oscillator waveform etc ).

And how it sounds????

Here you have a few samples. All sounds from these demos have been created using four DR-01 and recorded in real time. Only one external module was used for modulation.To sequence the modules I used an Arturia Beatstep Pro. FX used : Reverb and delay.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/sets/dr01[/s]

tehfizzle
Looks awesome, will noisebug have them soon? You said first drum synth module, what’s next?
Thalassa
Thank you tehfizzle smile I have plans to design a full range of percussion modules that will include snare, hit-hats, metals....
About Noisebug it will be at least three weeks until they have it in stock.
JohnLRice
Looks and sounds great! applause thumbs up
ba1
Sounds great?

Looking forward to the rest.

Any plans for a sequencer to control them?

A complete modular drum synth would be awesome! The Beatstep pro works pretty good, but it's so ugly! Troll!
Thalassa
ba1 wrote:
Any plans for a sequencer to control them?

A complete modular drum synth would be awesome! The Beatstep pro works pretty good, but it's so ugly! Troll!

I'm not so sure , Moon already has a great trigger sequencer. The Beatstep is great to control this kind of modules and you can always get the black version is more MU friendly hihi
daveholiday
The demos sound great!! I really think you are going to have a very positive response for these modules. I can't think of very many 5U drum modules out there so you are in the right place at the right time! I am already looking forward to the next module announcement!

While the Moon trigger sequencers are very nice...

It might be worth splitting the difference between the two Moons and making a 4 channel 16 step trigger sequencer with the Corsynth name at the bottom!! hyper

I am already fantasizing about another case for my Corsynth "drum machine"!!
Jsharpphoto
Uhn tisss uhn tisss uhn tisss
Thalassa
Thank you for your comments. Dave I hope you are right about the positive response. At this moment I can't complain about it smile
steffengrondahl
Sounds really great. Now I'm just thinking ... should I replace my Vermona DRM1 with a set of Corsynth drum modules hmmm.....

Thalassa: Is it tracking 1 V/Oct over a certain range?
Thalassa
steffengrondahl, the internal oscillator tracks 1V/Oct but not as accurate as a dedicated VCO and also it's not temperature compensated.

Quote:
Now I'm just thinking ... should I replace my Vermona DRM1 with a set of Corsynth drum modules hmmm.....

That's kind of the idea behind this new series , to have something like the Vermona DRM1 inside the modular with the advantages of control CV.
steffengrondahl
Thalassa wrote:
That's kind of the idea behind this new series , to have something like the Vermona DRM1 inside the modular with the advantages of control CV.

The lack of CV inputs on the DRM1 is really a bummer. And BTW, the DR-01 looks far better than the DRM1 love

Just ordered 2 of these modules It's peanut butter jelly time!
Thalassa
Order received hyper , I just sent you an email with details smile . Thank you smile
Fivewire
I'm going to order one, probably from KMR in the UK
josaka
just a note on the demos.. (they sound great..) ..it would be great to understand the amount of control over the high and low frequencies a bit more .also some live tweaking audio demos to understand the ranges and tones.. and some more quickfire real situations in different genres.. trap/electro/r n b and so on..
does it have attack/release control over CV ?
the demos almost pose more questions (on the technical side) than answers..
the demos sound good already.. less little bell sounds maybe and more focus on the kick side smile

honestly its a great addition to 5u and I am already tempted.. my only fear is for 5 modules you are into €1000+ territory

Quote:
the DR-01 looks far better than the DRM1

dunno my drm 1 looks pretty rad.. smile
Thalassa
The frequency range of the tune knob goes from 25hz to 250Hz but the internal oscillator can go up to 1,2Khz when is modulated buy the modulation envelope or external CV. The oscillator response is 1V/ OCT but not as perfect as a dedicated VCO.

The envelopes doesn't have CV over the attack or release.

I've recorded a new demo of just 5 minutes of knob tweaking without any cv. Just and steady clock and me moving knobs and switches. I've tried to don't move any knob when the module is triggered.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/corsynth/dr01raw[/s]

If you have any more questions or you would like another kind of demo let me know smile
josaka
thats great pablo.. the stuff that starts around 2.40 is the area a lot of people would be interested in.. its good to hear the "inbetween" stuff to hear what is possible too..like the sound changing when you add in the attack punch..
I am pretty obbsessed with drum synths/machines at the moment...been buying up old rare ones.. A module like these little beasts would be great...
nothing like it in 5u.. the YMO famed.

add a ring mod and different types of noise... killer smile

and something like this smile

I have one of these..

and these smile

+ quite a few others...

smile smile smile

Thalassa
Finally I have the time to record a video demo for the module. I hope you like it smile

Fivewire
I got mine last week and it sounds fantastic - can't wait for more in this series. Great video.
Thalassa
Fivewire wrote:
I got mine last week and it sounds fantastic - can't wait for more in this series. Great video.

Thanks thumbs up thumbs up
daveholiday
I have been curious about this module for some time but haven't had the time/money to pull the trigger. I specifically would like to hear some feedback from other users in comparison to other kick drums. I have a Jomox Xbase 09 that I adore, but find myself only using the kick drum for the most part. The Jomox kick is so fantastic (to my ears) that it seems hard to replace. Anybody have both that could offer an opinion about DR-01 compared to the Jomox kick? I have listened to the demos and the DR-01 certainly has more sonic capabilities so it has that going for it...

I know I could just have both but, over the years my studio has gotten like a big city...Growth crawling out to the suburbs...trying to get back to that small town intimacy that I once had.....

DAMN YOU MODULAR!!....YOU DID THIS!!!!!

Or wait.....are will still making JLR the scapegoat these days? razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1