MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First steps – Eurorack + oscilloscope in X/Y mode
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author First steps – Eurorack + oscilloscope in X/Y mode
shortsleeves
Guys and gals,

Here are my first tries at doing video synthesis. I've got 12u od Euro + an oscilloscope. I will have a video mixer in a day or two, and in the not-so-distant-future – probably a Vidiot.

The first file is mostly controlled by audio, hence it's quite chaotic. In the second one I focused on the visuals only, and used much simpler waves (triangle and sinus modulated by a color noise source and some VCA's), and it's much more structured.

Excuse the inaccurate capture (the first one isn't even centered…) – I'm getting there cool

Any feedback is welcome – hints (give me technical! help ), criticism, I'll take it all. Guinness ftw!

Cheers,
Lukasz

nerdware
I actually prefered the chaotic first video, but I like the both. Which 'scope are you using? Does it have a Z mod input? If it does, and you get a Vidiot, you may want to try sending some video rate signals into it.

Thanks.
shortsleeves
nerdware wrote:
I actually prefered the chaotic first video, but I like the both. Which 'scope are you using? Does it have a Z mod input? If it does, and you get a Vidiot, you may want to try sending some video rate signals into it.

Thanks, mate! I appreciate it. The oscilloscope is a BK 2120. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the Z input.

I was thinking about rescanning the oscilloscope screen with a camera, and then sending it to a Panasonic AVE7 mixer with one channel for the oscilloscope input, and the other for feedback. I.e. til I get a Vidiot. Does it sound like fun? Miley Cyrus

Cheers,
Lukasz
nerdware
shortsleeves wrote:
I was thinking about rescanning the oscilloscope screen with a camera, and then sending it to a Panasonic AVE7 mixer with one channel for the oscilloscope input, and the other for feedback. I.e. til I get a Vidiot. Does it sound like fun? Miley Cyrus

Oh, yes. Anything with feedback sounds like fun to me. razz A rescanned 'scope into a Vidiot sounds like top fun.
Flex Off
Nice first steps. I like them both. I cant give any constructive criticism though as i dont even have any video synthesis modules in my rack yet. i am just starting to get interested in it.
What do you intend to use them for if you dont mind me asking? Making videos or live sets or something else?
JohnLRice
Cool shortsleeves thumbs up

I love running audio through analog o'scopes. I have a series of videos I call Spirits Of The Temple Electric where I do some post processing that really makes things interesting, and the main thing I do is to mirror-image the video which turns chaotic visuals, very much like your first one, into seemingly recognizable patterns. (if you are using a PC take a look at Vegas Movie Studio which is like $50 to $100 depending on the version)

Here's an instruction video on how I created the videos in the series

Here's one of the later installments (takes a wile to really get going)
shortsleeves
JohnLRice wrote:
Cool shortsleeves thumbs up

I love running audio through analog o'scopes. I have a series of videos I call Spirits Of The Temple Electric where I do some post processing that really makes things interesting, and the main thing I do is to mirror-image the video which turns chaotic visuals, very much like your first one, into seemingly recognizable patterns.

Thanks, John! These are very cool! Good idea about using mirroring to turn the chaos into something more structured. Will try that.

Cheers,
Lukasz
shortsleeves
Flex Off wrote:
Nice first steps. I like them both. I cant give any constructive criticism though as i dont even have any video synthesis modules in my rack yet. i am just starting to get interested in it.
What do you intend to use them for if you dont mind me asking? Making videos or live sets or something else?

I'd like to incorporate visuals into my gigs – in a couple of my bands, not solo. I'm still on the fence, because I'm not sure which way to choose – the oscilloscope/vector (which kind of plays along with the patch), or the video mixer feedback (which requires more attention from me to manualy direct the thing). There's a third way on the horizon – the Vidiot, which doesn't make the decision any easier… cool

Cheers,
Lukasz
shortsleeves
Here are a few more – still getting to grips with the recording setup, but I'm getting there, I think… Guinness ftw!

And a couple of no input feedback (no sound):

I'm really loving this video thing. SlayerBadger!

Cheers,
Lukasz
peanut
Curious, besides the Benjolin, what's in your 12u?
shortsleeves
peanut wrote:
Curious, besides the Benjolin, what's in your 12u?

Thanks for asking. It's split into 9U and 3U. The 3U skiff is nowhere near full yet. I'm using the A119 to integrate the C-L Tetrax into my modular rig.

Cheers,
Lukasz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1