MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So I picked up a SY77 at Goodwill for $14.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author So I picked up a SY77 at Goodwill for $14.
corpusjonsey
The sticker said "For Parts." but I got home and everything works just fine. The contrast was turned down on the screen which probably made it seem broken. Anybody know of any good sound banks floating around out there that would be fun to play with while I learn to program this beast?
sduck
Damn. I've been looking around for one of these for a good price for years. I'd even pay 15$ for it.
estin
Cool find. I am developing an interest in 90's 1U romplers for some reason. Watching too much X-files I think.
Blairio
Pick up a Proteus.

my favourite one (still have it) is a Proteus 1 with the InVision Protologic expansion card. Strictly speaking it is no longer 1U. The unit generates more heat with the expansion card, so you have to give it some air space all round.
Rigo
corpusjonsey wrote:
Anybody know of any good sound banks floating around out there that would be fun to play with while I learn to program this beast?

Maybe take a look here: https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/
CoreInside
good buy!

I had a tg77 for a while, picked up in china for 600 yuan about 60 pounds uk money, or 100 dollars us money.
the drum sounds were fun to play with, messing with the velocity and repeating them at high speed to get granular synthesis type of fx
the awm sounds like shit really. i tried to avoid that shit.
the fm was way too deep for my tastes, the envelopes were a nightmare to edit and it was hard to do percussive sounds. i couldnt make bass drums with the pitch envelopes, which is a bad envelope in my opinion. the fx section was quite deep, two different reverbs with chorus or delay. one of my favourite patches was to get a sawtoothish wave using feedback and do a smooth pad with it.

id like to hear the music of anyone great who works with these machines. im sure they can do great music. i sold my tg 77 because it wasnt fun to me for how much time i put into it.

who makes great music with the sy77/sy99/tg77? id love to hear it
sutekina bipu-on
CoreInside wrote:
good buy!

I had a tg77 for a while, picked up in china for 600 yuan about 60 pounds uk money, or 100 dollars us money.
the drum sounds were fun to play with, messing with the velocity and repeating them at high speed to get granular synthesis type of fx
the awm sounds like shit really. i tried to avoid that shit.
the fm was way too deep for my tastes, the envelopes were a nightmare to edit and it was hard to do percussive sounds. i couldnt make bass drums with the pitch envelopes, which is a bad envelope in my opinion. the fx section was quite deep, two different reverbs with chorus or delay. one of my favourite patches was to get a sawtoothish wave using feedback and do a smooth pad with it.

id like to hear the music of anyone great who works with these machines. im sure they can do great music. i sold my tg 77 because it wasnt fun to me for how much time i put into it.

who makes great music with the sy77/sy99/tg77? id love to hear it


I had a tg77 for years and never got deep enough into it, even had a few offers of people who wants to trade their sy99 for it, i sold it eventually before i got a preenfm. I sold the preenfm as well and now i will get myself a sy77 or sy99 when i see one again for a good price. (now anything above $14 sounds shitty though lol )
NotHerbert
Holy crap that's a good deal. That was one of my favorite synths that I ever owned back in the day. I wish I'd kept it, but I needed the money to get a computer for school.
corpusjonsey
I downloaded a couple "Analog" banks from here: http://analoguesque.x10host.com/Yamaha-SY-77/

Some pretty good bass sounds in there.
Robscorch
corpusjonsey wrote:
The sticker said "For Parts." but I got home and everything works just fine. The contrast was turned down on the screen which probably made it seem broken. Anybody know of any good sound banks floating around out there that would be fun to play with while I learn to program this beast?


Rage! I don't ever find deals this good. The picker in me wants to flip you off and cuss, but still give you all the kudos lol. That's a great find. I got a MicroKorg from Goodwill for 65 bucks... all it needed was some replacement rubbers for the key bed and I had to re solder the main output. One of my best was a Z1 I got for 200 bucks and a dime bag in 2001. I had to replace one key and had to reconnect the boards together. Seems this guy was traveling with it a lot and it just died so he said. I knew better, but honestly I didn't feel to bad he had a couple of MPC's a Triton and all that jazz he wasn't hurting for it. Later I even bought a Mexican strat from him for 85 bucks and a few repair jobs he needed.

I'm still waiting to find that Buchla stuff jammed in a trash can behind a church. lol lol lol

I have an SY-77 I will tell that story a little bit later. Maybe one of you needs this and can afford the kidney to ship it? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
rean1mator
better synth than the dx7 imo. built like tank. great find!!

there are a bunch of sy77 patches floating around. there's an sy77 version for teh fm alive patch/librarian editor that works great for it.
sizone
look for a software editor. if you can find a copy of sounddiver and get it running, you should be set to patch away.

the envelopes can loop and have 6 stages. if you're in to ambient or complex, evolving pad sounds, you're in for a treat.

it can do microtonality, resolution is a little limited, but it's usable.

I've filled almost every user preset slot on the tg-77 with my own patches. which is more than I've patched anything except maybe the fizmo.
JakoGreyshire
I 'm on a few yahoo groups that have a bunch of files to DownLoad..

If you have a yahoo email you might want to join the yamaha groups and see what they have there.... I'm not sure which group would be best for the SY77 though... Everyone has sorted and converted most of the DX7 patches out there already... I'm sure there is a good repository on one of the groups there... I might check on that later see if I can find anything....

I haven't seen any activity lately... think I stopped receiving emails from them because I didn't have any free time to hang out and chat with the group..

We all had some good laughs back in 2010 though.. Come to think of it I made a cool dub step patch for the DX7....

Damn, now I'm gonna have to bust that out and finally change the battery in my DX7.. I guess I should complete some old projects while I'm at it...

I love my old DX7 and TX7 combo...(nostalgic look in the eyes)...
LoFi Junglist
We can't find deals like this in our big chain Op-shops in Aus, because all electrical equipment is meant to be 'Test & Tagged' before sale (which costs a bit).

Still a great place to hunt for vinyl or Camera lenses Ninja
corpusjonsey
sizone wrote:
look for a software editor. if you can find a copy of sounddiver and get it running, you should be set to patch away.

the envelopes can loop and have 6 stages. if you're in to ambient or complex, evolving pad sounds, you're in for a treat.

it can do microtonality, resolution is a little limited, but it's usable.

I've filled almost every user preset slot on the tg-77 with my own patches. which is more than I've patched anything except maybe the fizmo.


Great idea! At least it will be quicker and easier to get going that way. Ambient pads are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone.
Heavy Metal Kid
You're sorted FM wise for the rest of your life!
clusterchord
what a find. its a wonderful synthesizer and i love not just fm, but the lofi somewhat crappy ROM+subtractive engine of late 80s.

i recently got both Sector101 cards - one for loading user multisamples, and the 16 bank patch ram card. it opens a lot of possibilities. you can even draw some specific waves in forge and load that to be your unvoiced operator in its fm.



on a related note, i was going to switch mine for a TG77 to free some room. then changed my mind at the last minute. its a joy to sit at this beautiful, complete instrument in front of you with controls and this wonderful keybed, and just play and tweak. my rack instruments, even those with external hw programmers, statistically always get less attention. im afriad TG77 could easily fall into "gathering dust" dept. still pondering over that problematic..
Sanys
I couldn’t get anything worthy out of this synth and sold it but $14! Great find! Congrats applause
computer controlled
Dayum!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group